• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll 5: middle order for all time subcontinental XI

Choose THREE to bat at 3,4 & 5 for the all time subcontinental test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah, agree with this. Not sure Laxman has so many votes. In the pantheon of SC batting greats he sits below

SRT
Dravid
Gavaskar
Miandad
Inzy
(yousuf?)
Sangers
De Silva(?)
Younis
If I'm being honest, VVS is simply better than Yousuf and Aravinda. Actually he's better than everyone but people can't accept that.

Fusion

Global Moderator
What does Younis need to do? Go back in time and play 30 years ago?
Which from the top three vote recipients do you think he's better than? If it's Miandad, than it's not like there's a clear case for Younis being better. I have a lot of respect for Younis, but he never had to anchor the Pakistani batting lineup like Miandad did. Younis always had an Inzi, Yousaf, or Misbah to partner with. Heck, for large stretches of his career, he even played second fiddle to either Inzi or Yousaf. Miandad, on the other hand, was the main bat in the fragile Pakistani lineup for the majority of his career. And while he played with some good players, none can match the level of Inzi/Yousaf. And perhaps I do have a good old days syndrome, but having watched both play, I simply think Miandad was better.

bagapath

International Captain
Which from the top three vote recipients do you think he's better than? If it's Miandad, than it's not like there's a clear case for Younis being better. I have a lot of respect for Younis, but he never had to anchor the Pakistani batting lineup like Miandad did. Younis always had an Inzi, Yousaf, or Misbah to partner with. Heck, for large stretches of his career, he even played second fiddle to either Inzi or Yousaf. Miandad, on the other hand, was the main bat in the fragile Pakistani lineup for the majority of his career. And while he played with some good players, none can match the level of Inzi/Yousaf. And perhaps I do have a good old days syndrome, but having watched both play, I simply think Miandad was better.
I too believe Miandad was probably marginally superior to Younis. But going with your logic should you not be voting for Hazare instead of Dravid / Tendulkar? Rahul and Sachin had each other and also Laxman and Sehwag for support. Even Ganguly, Gambhir, Kohli and Dhoni played enough with them to release some of the pressure. Vijay Hazare OTOH was a lone gunslinger, more than Javed Miandad even.

Younis does appear to be under rated by cricket fans in my opinion. That said, I am not sure what Fusion is on about when he says that Miandad was the main bat "in a fragile Pakistani line up". Miandad was certainly the main bat, but its not like he played a lone hand. I think Martin Crowe and Aravinda De Silva might have enjoyed batting with Zaheer Abbas, Shoiab Mohammad, Salim Malik and laterly with Inzimam and in a team with batting allrounders like Mudasser Nazir, Mushtaq Mohammad and Asif Iqbal, not to mention bowling allrounders like Imran Khan to stiffen the tail.

I don't think Younis will make this ATG SC sub continent team, but I think that he should. His playing record is top shelf, and his second innings efforts separates him from other batsmen.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Laxman for me is very similar to KP batsmen capable of playing knocks that very few can even dare to dream however they are far too inconsistent to be considered elite batsmen in history . If this team was actually playing a test series I could see VS being a tactical pick as you are already getting the consistency from Gavaskar, Sachin, Dravid, Sanga so adding a little bit of VVS magic is worth a shot however if the intention is merely to assemble a best possible Xi for a historical purpose then Laxman clearly sits behind Miandad, Inzi and Younis for me.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Younis for me has not done enough away from sub cont to be picked ahead of Miandad or maybe even Inzi. Its not that his record is bad its just that the sample size is not large enough a lot of it is not his fault as he was banned by the idiot PCB chairman during the time when Pakisan was playing 12 away test matches to Eng-NZ and Aus in 09-10.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

VVS wasn't inconsistent. His problem was conversion of starts into big scores. And once he started batting in the middle order, like he always should have from the beginning, he averaged over 50 for a period of 13 years without any really big slumps in form. That is remarkably consistent.

VVS wasn't inconsistent. His problem was conversion of starts into big scores. And once he started batting in the middle order, like he always should have from the beginning, he averaged over 50 for a period of 13 years without any really big slumps in form. That is remarkably consistent.
I'm not sure using averages to defend VVS's inclusion ahead of other players works when the highest averaging batsmen (Younis) is not in the running for team selection. Younis averages 76.8 in India, by the way.

Last edited:

Daemon

And then there's Aravinda. These shots off Brett Lee made me laugh out loud......

if a modern bat plays these shots they'd be looked down on and considered slogs

much prefer his hook and pull shots than what he did in that clip

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Dravid
Tendulkar
Miandad

I'd be tempted to pick Sanga over Dravid at #3 as a pure batsman, but seeing Sanga's already selected as a keeper, this is what I'd go for.

OverratedSanity

I'm not sure using averages to defend VVS's inclusion ahead of other players works when the highest averaging batsmen (Younis) is not in the running for team selection. Younis averages 76.8 in India, by the way.
Did I say any of that? I just said VVS was not inconsistent.

smash84

The Tiger King
What does Younis need to do? Go back in time and play 30 years ago?
Perhaps be a better batting with the tail? Learn how to irritate the crap out of the opposition? Be mentally stronger than Miandad? Be counted as among the top players in his team since the beginning of his career, to name just a few

Did I say any of that? I just said VVS was not inconsistent.
To me you said he was consistent as demonstrated by averaging over 50 for 13 years in the middle order without any major slumps in form. Some might say Younis Khan has done the same for 15 years and counting (2001-2015).

OverratedSanity

To me you said he was consistent as demonstrated by averaging over 50 for 13 years in the middle order without any major slumps in form. Some might say Younis Khan has done the same for 15 years and counting (2001-2015).
I didn't say Younis was inconsistent. I will however say that you have a bit of a reading comprehension problem.