• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG Draft - Batting Averages

Howe_zat

Audio File
Fred Grace. Like his brothers, a mainstay of English batsmanship in the 1870s. Unlike his brothers, never really got to show his skills in Tests due to death aged 30.

Hutton
Gayle
Woolley (5)
Jayawardene
Darling
Grace
Botham (3)
Murray
Warne (4)
Waqar (1)
Walsh (2)

cnerd123

likes this
Michael Atherton
Roy Fredericks
Rahul Dravid
Martin Crowe
Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi (*)
Salim Durani
Bert Oldfeild (+)
Sir Wes Hall
Jeff Thomson
Fred "The Demon" Spofforth
Bert "Dainty" Ironmonger

I think that's alright.

Could have waited till much later for the Salim Durani pick I guess. Might have enabled me to get another ATG bowler; although this lot are pretty good.

Happy with the rest of my picks - 2 decent openers, an ATG number 3, a NZ ATG at 4, one of India's finest captains at 5 (he was always gonna be my 30-35 pick so I'm so glad I nabbed him), and an excellent keeper.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fred Grace. Like his brothers, a mainstay of English batsmanship in the 1870s. Unlike his brothers, never really got to show his skills in Tests due to death aged 30.

Hutton
Gayle
Woolley (5)
Jayawardene
Darling
Grace
Botham (3)
Murray
Warne (4)
Waqar (1)
Walsh (2)
Lol, we better make sure we add players initials for the vote-off. Don't worry I picked the lesser known Weekes in the last draft.

OverratedSanity

Haha yeah putting him in there as simply "Grace" is a sneaky ass move from Howe. Confused me for a second when I looked at the lineup.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lol, we better make sure we add players initials for the vote-off. Don't worry I picked the lesser known Weekes in the last draft.
Haha yeah putting him in there as simply "Grace" is a sneaky ass move from Howe. Confused me for a second when I looked at the lineup.
Haha, that's probably Prasanna and not Mahela he's got sitting there at #4 also.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Drafting average players with surnames that makes your team look heaps better without first names or initials XI

Grace (Fred)
Hobbs (Robin)
Weekes (Bam Bam)
Tendulkar (Chandrakanth)
Trumper (Victor Jr)
Jayawardene (Prasanna)
Miller (Colin Funky)
Imran Khan (from UAE)
Hadlee (Wal)
Benaud (John)
Marshall (Marshall | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo)

morgieb

WW already picked a 40-45 player, so I'll jump ahead as I'm after him and it won't affect his next pick. Is that OK?

Few players I could go here. But I'll go Kumar Ranjitsinhji. One of the old time greats, in the modern era it is perfectly feasible to see him averaging in a higher bracket if he had played in the modern era.

1. Matthew Elliott / 30-35
2. Jimmy Cook / 15-20
3. Kumar Ranjitsinhji / 40-45
4. Sachin Tendulkar / 50+
5. Inzamam-ul-Haq* / 45-50
6. Keith Miller (3) / 35-40
7. Ian Healy+ / 25-30
8. Ryan Harris (1) / 20-25
9. Muttiah Muralitharan (5) / 10-15
10. Mohammad Asif (2) / 5-10
11. Chris Martin (4) / 0-5

Pretty happy with that side.

Elliott and Cook is a patchy opening pairing, but in an alternate universe they both could've been very good players. In the 90's from what I heard Elliott had more going for him than Matthew Hayden, but he was exposed a couple of times and never got a real chance after about 2000. With better luck he could've averaged 50. Cook only played Tests when he was nearing 40 due to the Apartheid ban, but his FC average was better than most of his contemporaries. In the Rebel Tests he averaged 43 (against weaker oppostions admittedly) which only Pollock and McEwen bettered. I reckon had South Africa not been awful racists he would be remembered as a gun.

At 3 is the old Prince Ranji. One of the most innovative batsmen of all time, he would give the side much needed class. His FC average (in a time where FC cricket was vastly more important than what it is now) is 56, and his Test average is superior to basically all of his contemporaries.

If the 3 is the Prince of India, then 4 is the God of India. What can I say about Sachin that hasn't already been said? He is probably the biggest icon the game has ever seen.

5 comes Inzamam. One of the more under-rated bats of all-time, his record in victories is immense, a sign that his runs meant something.

Miller comes in as 6 as the all-rounder. In some people eyes he was the greatest all-rounder of all time. I'm not sure if I'd agree, but regardless he was a star and was probably the most 'balanced' all-rounder of all-time.

Healy is the wicket-keeper. He may be a knob, but regardless as a cricketer he was very, very good. Who knows how well he would've been remembered if it wasn't for Gilchrist?

Opening the bowling is Harris and Asif. For various reasons they didn't play an awful lot, but when they did....they were excellent. Harris is cricket's answer to the underdog story...Asif unfortunately has a case of being the biggest disappointment from a country which knows disappointment.

At 2nd change is Chris Martin. We'll all remember for his "batting", but with the ball he was a fine cricketer. In a bowling attack which better resembled a hospital ward he was the one constant despite being somewhat lacking in talent compared to his contemporaries.

For the spinner is Muttiah Muralitharan. Whether his action is legit is something I won't go into, but regardless he was arguably the biggest freak the game produced, one of the greatest spinners of all-time, and the greatest cricketer that Sri Lanka produced.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
Well, I'm in the terrible situation in that I need a top 5 batsman who averages 30-35, so I'll have to take Mark Butcher to round out my side.

1. Smith
2. Haynes
3. Ponting*
4. Atapattu
5. Butcher
6. Proctor (4)
7. Kumble (5)
8. Evans (+)
9. Ambrose (2)
10. Lohmann (3)
11. Reid (1)

A decent enough side, top three are strong, middle order is so-so, tail begins at six really, although there are capable batsmen down to 8. Evans is a quality wicket-keeper, and the bowling attack is nice and varied - big bounce and pace from Ambrose, old-timey variations from Lohmann, pace from Proctor (who also has 48 first class centuries to boot) and left-armers from Reid.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
^weak batting attack... but then again so is everyone's.

I really wish I chose Michael Slater now.. probably the only time he'd be a perfect pick in a draft

Agent TBY

International Captain
Okay, very few picks affect others in this round, so let's get this done and finish off the draft.

***** - Martin Crowe
Howe - Fred Grace
WW - Mark Butcher
morgie - Kumar Ranjitsinhji.
Shady - can pick
harsh - Andy Ducat
mister - Angus Fraser
J_C - Percy McDonnell
TBY - Wally Grout
OS - can pick
kiwiviktor - can pick
Zinzan - can pick after Shady
watson - Majid Khan
schearzie - can pick

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Yeah, WW and Shady have their 0-5 players already, so I am going to go ahead and pick Andy Ducat, the Surrey giant who scored 23K FC runs with 52 hundreds, and batted with Jack Hobbs. Interestingly, he did all that and managed to captain Aston Villa, the most successful English side of the time, to an FA Cup victory in 1920 (the year he also won Wisden Cricketer of the Year) and play as right half for England in 6 internationals, including scoring the winner in a 1-0 win against Wales. At the age of 42, he made 994 runs in less than six weeks, including centuries in four successive matches. Met his demise of a heart attack while batting, aged 56, in a charity match at Lord's. Great man. Glad to know about him.

B&B XI

Gordon Greenidge
Andy Ducat
Rohan Kanhai
Graeme Pollock
Clem Hill
CB Fry
Chris Read +
Richie Benaud*
Sir Richard Hadlee
Neil Adcock
Allan Donald

Solid opening pair. Very attacking middle order. The great CB Fry for a rearguard action with the help of Read, Benaud, and Hadlee, all very capable with the bat. One of the safest pair of hands in Chris Read. Benaud as captain. Hadlee and Donald to open the bowling :wub:

Last edited:

Agent TBY

International Captain
I'll take Wally Grout to keep wickets and bat 8 for me, which leaves me with:

Odd Jobs XI

1. WG Grace [7] (30-35)
2. Hanif Mohammad (40-45)
3. Frank Worrell [c] (45-50)
4. Jacques Kallis [5] (50+)
5. Warwick Armstrong [6] (35-40)
6. Michael Bevan (25-30)
7. Ray Lindwall [1] (20-25)
8. Wally Grout [wk] (15-20)
9. Clarrie Grimmett [4] (10-15)
10. Glenn McGrath [2] (5-10)
11. Ken Farnes [3] (0-5)

Last edited:

mr_mister

Angus Fraser (5-10)

Mister's Mash-up

Jack Hobbs (50+)
Alec Stewart + (35-40)
Roger Twose (25-30)
Aravinda De Silva (40-45)
Clive Lloyd * (45-50)
Shaun Pollock (30-35)
Gavin Hamilton (0-5)
Heath Streak (20-25)
Trent Boult (15-20)
Bill O'Reilly (10-15)
Angus Fraser (5-10)

Well I like it. Arguably the best opener ever in Hobbs, and he's paired with the best English opener of the dark age of English cricket, the mid 90s-early 00s. Stewart averaged more without the gloves, sure, but he also averaged a lot more opening up the innings and I can't be picky with this kind of draft.

Twose had an amazing few years on the International stage in the ODI format, facing all manner of ATG bowlers. "We need sixes, fours and Twose to win" should not be taken lightly. Underperformed in tests, but might have came good if he didn't retire so young.

De Silva and Lloyd were guns. Both played tests for nearly 20 years each and scored 39 test centuries between them. De Silva is a Sri Lankan legend and Lloyd lead the West Indies during arguably the peak of the best cricket team ever, so he captains my XI.

Hamilton was alright I suppose. Had a good 99 world cup for Scotland, only played one test and got a duck, and was a solid all-rounder at FC level.

Pollock and Streak could both bat, they both have test tons under their belt and well Pollock averaged over 30 so he's a capable number 6. Both great bowlers and right up there with the best their country has ever produced. Boult is proving to be one of NZ's best ever as well and will continue to get better. Only active player in the team. Fraser was one of the most consistent English players of their dark age, and along with Stewart was unlucky to miss out on the ATG XI of the modern age recently ran on this forum. And Tiger O'Reilly is one of the best spinners ever, his quick leggies bring something unique to the table.

Last edited: