• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's more likely?Anderson to overtake McGraths 563 or Broad to finish above jimmy?

What's more likely?

• Anderson beats McGraths 563

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Broad finishes with more wickets then jimmy

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
A bit of an odd poll given that it's perfectly likely that neither of these two things could happen. In terms of what's more likely, I'd probably have to say Broad finishing with more wickets. It's taken Anderson about 3 and 1/2 years and 40 tests to take his last 157 wickets. If he keeps up with that strike rate, he'd be the wrong side of 36 when he gets there. My suspicion is that he'll probably call time somewhere around the 500 mark.

If Broad stays fit he should comfortably move past Anderson. But that's a big if.

Bolo

State Captain
Who is likely to finish up with more- Anderson or Steyn? Steyn is a touch younger and is Steyn, but Anderson plays more and might be more likely to play on past his best.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Who is likely to finish up with more- Anderson or Steyn? Steyn is a touch younger and is Steyn, but Anderson plays more and might be more likely to play on past his best.
Steyn has continuously mentioned that he's only got a few more years left. Steyn's body doesn't seem like it's going to be all that durable, so it's likely that Steyn retires around 33-34. Steyn's targetting 100 tests for what its worth, and apparently SA play 10 tests from now till Jan. As far as who is likely to finish with more wickets its definitely Steyn, Anderson isn't good enough against the better teams.

Bolo

State Captain
Steyn has continuously mentioned that he's only got a few more years left. Steyn's body doesn't seem like it's going to be all that durable, so it's likely that Steyn retires around 33-34. Steyn's targetting 100 tests for what its worth, and apparently SA play 10 tests from now till Jan. As far as who is likely to finish with more wickets its definitely Steyn, Anderson isn't good enough against the better teams.
Anderson has never been good enough against the better teams, and still has more wickets than Steyn. When do you think he is likely to retire?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I voted for Broad - Anderson is still 150 odd wickets behind McGrath and he has already been playing for 12 years.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Steyn has continuously mentioned that he's only got a few more years left. Steyn's body doesn't seem like it's going to be all that durable, so it's likely that Steyn retires around 33-34. Steyn's targetting 100 tests for what its worth, and apparently SA play 10 tests from now till Jan. As far as who is likely to finish with more wickets its definitely Steyn, Anderson isn't good enough against the better teams
Steyn really seems like one of those guys who could modify his action a bit (like Lillee and Hadlee), drop a few kms in pace and still be very very good for a few extra years.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea Steyn's defo got quite a few years left in the tank. Can seem him playing till 35/36, by dropping down to the 125-135 kmph range and just being an accurate swing/seam bowler.

Think he'll get a lot better in ODIs and T20s as he gets older too. Probably retire from Tests at around 33 then continue on for a few years, play another World Cup, then retire with a season or two in IPL/Big Bash.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn really seems like one of those guys who could modify his action a bit (like Lillee and Hadlee), drop a few kms in pace and still be very very good for a few extra years.
Yea Steyn's defo got quite a few years left in the tank. Can seem him playing till 35/36, by dropping down to the 125-135 kmph range and just being an accurate swing/seam bowler.

Think he'll get a lot better in ODIs and T20s as he gets older too. Probably retire from Tests at around 33 then continue on for a few years, play another World Cup, then retire with a season or two in IPL/Big Bash.
I don't see it. I'd love it if he managed but his injuries have started piling up to an alarming degree in the last few years. 2 more years left imo.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think he will make it to 500 and not much further, but you never know given his injury record has been more than decent since he established himself properly

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Christ, imagine a world where James Anderson is the leading pace bowling wicket taker of all time. I thought we left that kind of mediocrity behind when Kapil Dev was surpassed as Test cricket's leading wicket taker. Anderson isn't fit to carry McGrath's jock strap.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Christ, imagine a world where James Anderson is the leading pace bowling wicket taker of all time. I thought we left that kind of mediocrity behind when Kapil Dev was surpassed as Test cricket's leading wicket taker. Anderson isn't fit to carry McGrath's jock strap.
Wahhhhhhh

Antihippy

International Debutant
I don't see it. I'd love it if he managed but his injuries have started piling up to an alarming degree in the last few years. 2 more years left imo.
Also the fact that England plays an inordinately large amount of tests compared to south Africa per year.

The fact that cook has played as many tests as he has is astounding.