• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll2: Playing Selector: Opening Bowlers for Subcontinental AT XI

Select TWO pacers to open the bowling for subcontinental AT XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of batting strength, which I have bags of anyway down to 9, for the ability to operate with two quality spinners when advantageous.

I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of batting strength, which I have bags of anyway down to 9, for the ability to operate with two quality spinners when advantageous.
And what does Dev do in those advantageous conditions? My main issue is not Afridi believe it or not - its 4th opening bowler Dev.

Xuhaib

International Coach
the side is very easy for me

Sunny
Viru
Dravid
Sachin
Miandad
Sanga(w)
Imran(C)
Dev
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

Mankad 12th man can play over either Waqar or Kapil depending what the captain wants

the side is very easy for me

Sunny
Viru
Dravid
Sachin
Miandad
Sanga(w)
Imran(C)
Dev
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

Mankad 12th man can play over either Waqar or Kapil depending what the captain wants
I don't think this side, which will no doubt be a very popular choice, has enough runs to beat a side with Bradman and Gilchrist at 7, facing Lillee, McGrath, Miller and Warne.

5 front line bowlers, of which 4 are opening seam bowlers, does not make a lot of sense to me. Not even the West Indies did that in the 1980s. Dropping Dev for Younis Khan and the batting line up suddenly looks much stronger, without effecting the bowling attack much. If M Mohammad or Jayasuriya is selected, suddenly the spin depth is increased and the batting still stronger than Dev.

Dev was a great cricketer, but he is no Imran, Waqar or Wasim. If he plays, he needs to replace Waqar or Wasim in my opinion.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
2nd Xi
Hanif
Anwar
Younis
Inzi
Mahela
Laxman
Dhoni (W) (C)
Kumble
Fazal
Shoaib
Bedi

Srinath is the 12 th man

Xuhaib

International Coach
I don't think this side, which will no doubt be a very popular choice, has enough runs to beat a side with Bradman and Gilchrist at 7, facing Lillee, McGrath, Miller and Warne.

5 front line bowlers, of which 4 are opening seam bowlers, does not make a lot of sense to me. Not even the West Indies did that in the 1980s. Dropping Dev for Younis Khan and the batting line up suddenly looks much stronger, without effecting the bowling attack much. If M Mohammad or Jayasuriya is selected, suddenly the spin depth is increased and the batting still stronger than Dev.

Dev was a great cricketer, but he is no Imran, Waqar or Wasim.
In order to beat a aside with Bradman you need as many bowling options you can to give yourself a chance.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only question that is left with this side is if it's going to be Kapil or Vinoo as the second all rounder. Just get to that.

In order to beat a aside with Bradman you need as many bowling options you can to give yourself a chance.
With all due respect, what is Dev going to offer to get Bradman out with an older ball, that Imran, Murali, Waqar and Wasim will not offer? By your logic, Fazal and Asif might as well be included to. I firmly believe that it is counter intuitive. Only one person has the ball in their hand at a time. 4 frontline bowlers and a batting allorunder is more than enough for any time. 4 frontline opening seam bowlers and the world's best spinner, that is excessive and counter intuitive without Bradman in the line up.

Still need batsman to score against Lillee, Warne and McGrath.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I have decided my final XI

1. Gavaskar
2. Sehwag
3. Sanga
4. Sachin
5. Miandad
6. Hazare
7. Imran
8. Kirmani
9. Wasim
10. Waqar
11. Murali

The lineup has enough depth in the batting plus bowling. Hazare to be 5th bowling option and him coming at 6 also gives enough batting depth without losing the 5th bowler.