• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll2: Playing Selector: Opening Bowlers for Subcontinental AT XI

Select TWO pacers to open the bowling for subcontinental AT XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

viriya

International Captain
Wasim was exceptional. I don't think anybody can over rate his skill with the ball. He was definitely a better test bowler than Waqar. More consistent throughout his career and maintaining his longevity despite being a diabetic from mid 90s onwards. Was just an exceptional bowler.
Honestly I plainly disagree that Wasim was a clearly better Test bowler. Even if you pick him over Waqar it's a close contest that you could go either way with very easily.

I think if Wasim were a right-hand bowler we wouldn't have this conversation.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Being left handed does matter. Makes the entire attack more potent.

This is just another case of you debating off things you see on an excel spreadhseet. cbf. Wasim is winning the poll and every decent cricket fan knows he's legit amazing. You can pick Fazal idrc.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd pick Wasim even if he had the same career as a right handed bowler. Was a quality bowler for far longer than Waqar was.

smash84

The Tiger King

This is just another case of you debating off things you see on an excel spreadhseet. cbf. Wasim is winning the poll and every decent cricket fan knows he's legit amazing. You can pick Fazal idrc.
This probably

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I think Fazal is highly underrated while Wasim is highly overrated (in Tests). Just to give a small idea on how much more effective Fazal was in Tests compared to Wasim - he has almost as many 10-wicket hauls but played a third of the matches.

I do think that Wasim was the best left-arm fast bowler of all time, but that uniqueness aside he is not clearly better than the other 3 big guys from his country.

I would pick Waqar over Wasim for the 3rd option since he is better with the older ball.. No Wasim in AT Subcontinent XI - I know I committed blasphemy.

tbf, he might get in just cos it will be 3 right-arm seamers otherwise. There is really not much to choose between the four of them imo so any combination of two can work.

viriya

International Captain

When I say that Waqar was as effective if not more that Wasim it has nothing to do with excel spreadsheets.. besides, who uses excel for this stuff anymore? :D
No one's arguing that Wasim isn't amazing. Just that Waqar is too.

I'd pick Wasim even if he had the same career as a right handed bowler. Was a quality bowler for far longer than Waqar was.
Wasim was there for longer, but Waqar had the better peak/impact.

OverratedSanity

How do you honestly measure 'impact'? It's a word that's meaning changes constantly when used in different topics. Wasim was a quality bowler for longer, has an almost spotless record against every opponent and in virtually all possible conditions (something which he doesn't get enough credit for) and has a far better record against the best teams of the era ( Australia and West Indies of the late 80s and early 90s).

OverratedSanity

Also how does Imran have only 4 votes? I'd have voted for him to open the bowling for sure if I hadn't ****ed up with my selection.

smash84

The Tiger King
Imran has only 4 votes because people want to vote for him in the all rounder poll. Otherwise he would be first choice to take the new ball

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm hoping for a 6-9 of Sanga-Imran-Kapil-Wasim

I'd be opening with Imran though so I voted for him here anyway.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
shoaib wouldn't be on the park most of the days

asif on drugs in jail
Shoaib would have been an infinitely good bowler if he bowled with a better attack. He had never performed his antics if he was with a leader like Imran as well.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Imran perfected reverse swing after being taught by Sarfraz, and Akram was just as acrobatic with the ball as Waqar - so you don't need more of the same. The fast-medium of Kapil would be a good contrast, plus he can swing a match with the bat in a session. Every team needs a heavy hitter, and Kapil was one of the best. Even against the 80s West Indian quicks.
Asif with ball alone can turn matches than Kapil with his bat and bowl. (pun is not intended)

viriya

International Captain

How do you honestly measure 'impact'? It's a word that's meaning changes constantly when used in different topics. Wasim was a quality bowler for longer, has an almost spotless record against every opponent and in virtually all possible conditions (something which he doesn't get enough credit for) and has a far better record against the best teams of the era ( Australia and West Indies of the late 80s and early 90s).
He has had as many impact performances as Wasim over 80-85% of the matches. Impact here is either 1000+ rating performances or 5-wkt/innings if you wanna make it more plain.

Wasim was mostly a consistent performer in Tests, he didn't have a great period like the early 1990s that Waqar had.

I'm not saying Waqar >> Wasim in Tests, just that it's not clearly Wasim >> Waqar.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Asif would be my 4th seamer after Wasim, Waqar and Imran.

Sunny
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Younis
Sanga (wk)
Imran (c)
Wasim
Waqar
Murali
Asif