• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Nick Compton Debate

Nick Compton harshly treated?

• Very much so.

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • England were right to dismiss him when they did.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Meh.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Niall

International Coach
A player from all accounts according to Dobell pretty much blacklisted from England selection.

Lets review his very brief international career.

Series 1

Good solid effort in India where many non Asian players have constantly failed especially in their first time in the SC.

Series 2

Away to NZ.

Gunned it hard.

Series 3

Home to NZ, yeah this was poor, but were two bad tests enough to bin him?

Rather amusingly after that NZ series, he played very well against Australia in a warm up game where Clarkey was very complimentary towards him,

Since then, we have numerous openers who have came and gone and Lyth is probably one bad test away from Banishment.

I always thought he was poorly treated and deserved to be persisted with, a good old fashioned opener to see of the new ball who is still gunning it in division 1.

Your thoughts please?

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like Compton, a real grafter. I actually don't think he's quite good enough and I think the selectors were right to jettison him when they did, but they've found no one else better since, so I'd like to see him get another chance - can't see it happening though

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hardly scored a run since he was dropped so hasn't stuck it up the selectors since. Then again those we have picked in place of him have done very little.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I do think he was harshly treated, and I don't think England have actually picked any openers to partner Cook who were as good as him since the dropping (with the possible exceptions of Root and/or Trott who don't really count), but I don't think he was ever going to be much more than decent. England's selectors strived for more than that and came up empty.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i dont follow english domestic but is luke wright a chance of playing tests? not an opener sure.... and i can't even be bothered looking up his stats but i remember he impressed me a lot

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looked a solid enough player in NZ a couple of seasons back from what I recall of him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Whilst Nick's inherited his illustrious granddad's looks he plays rather more like a roundhead to Denis's cavalier.

Think I agree with Fred, maybe just not quite a test player, but probably no worse than any of those who've tried to fill Strauss's shoes since and, as such, was mildly diddled by the selectors.

England's big issue if they dump one of Lyth, Ballance or Bell is it would probably require a rejig of the whole top order as Bairstow is head and shoulders clear of any other candidates (Taylor's recent career best notwithstanding) and him anywhere higher than 5 is silly talk.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I could have a chat to him about these things right now if he'd answer his bloody emails!

Howe_zat

Audio File
I mentioned on commentary that the lack of 4-day cricket until this week is making it really hard for potential candidates to put their best case forward. Giving the prime summer real estate to T20 doesn't half piss me off.