• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you think Maxwell has a chance at a successful test career?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We all doubted Warner(well the media doubted, I'm not sure about this forum) and he in fact played an international t20 before he even played first class cricket. But now he's got a bunch of test tons. Will Maxwell get another chance? Does he have the patience for the 5 day game

mr_mister

perhaps I should have said will maxwell have successful test career. regardless it was meant to spark more than a one word answer, lol

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
We all doubted Warner(well the media doubted, I'm not sure about this forum) and he in fact played an international t20 before he even played first class cricket. But now he's got a bunch of test tons. Will Maxwell get another chance? Does he have the patience for the 5 day game
I don't believe he's got the same drive and desire to succeed in Test cricket as Warner did/does. I could be wrong, that's just an outsider's view. If he doesn't absolutely 100% want it, he won't get it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Depends what you defined as successful? Can he carve out a successful 2-3 years in the team and post good numbers then yes. I have come to conclusion that the Sheffield shield is so strong that any First class Australian who's name isn't Dan Christian can "get by" in test cricket. Greg Matthews averaging 40 proves my point. Will he eventually be found out after people figure him out the 2nd or 3rd time they play against him. Yes IMO. Therefore I don't think he is good enough to last 10-12 years in the Australian team. But as mentioned above he could be a stop gap solution if you ran into injury troubles. However he goes he will not enter Gareth Hopkins territory.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He has superb hand-eye coordination and hitting ability, is an excellent fielder and a handy bowler.

David Warner compliment's his hitting ability with an extremely compact defense. If Maxwell can build a defensive game there's no reason he can't succeed at Test level.

I don't know whether he's truly interested in it though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, but after the age of 30.

And I don't think it's fair to say that he's not interested in it; it's more the fact that he's rarely had the chance to bat in FC cricket in recent times due to his Australian commitments.

However, I think there are going to be some things working against him. He'd really benefit from a full state pre-season in the next year or two to further develop his game and freshen him up, but he would always play Australian ODIs/T20s and wouldn't get the time not to. Let alone his IPL deal.

And sometimes I'm not sure he "loves" cricket as much as some others; and I think the more criticism he gets about how he bats almost reinforces to himself that he has to be different.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm just not sure if it'll be as an opener or number 3

maxwell get another chance. i just hope it's not in the uae or india or etc as the spinner all-rounder thing. does him no favours.

adub

International Captain
He just needs to do what Smith did and get moved up to 3 for his Shield side and practice batting time. Smitteh didn't even score a lot of big scores for NSW, but he was consistently spending sessions at the crease rather than belting quick runs. Now he still has the ungainly look and can pull off the funky and outrageous shots, but he does it from a very solid base and has the patience to bat through patches where the bowling needs to be respected.

If Maxy can get that time in the Shield without being constantly on ODI duty and takes it on his shoulders to be a leader for Victoria I have no doubt he could become very very much like Smith. Incredible eye and the ability to hit shots that ordinary humans wouldn't dare attempt. He just needs to develop the temperament for long innings and seeing off good bowling to become a genuine Test quality bat.

harsh.ag

Maxwell, if he works hard on his batting, at least has more of a chance than James Faulkner, who is an excellent prospect but seems will be spending a long time behind the other Aussie quicks and MMarsh.

Gob

International Coach
Not above 6 atm. Hugely gifted but equally frustrating (same with mad dog).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, but after the age of 30.

And I don't think it's fair to say that he's not interested in it; it's more the fact that he's rarely had the chance to bat in FC cricket in recent times due to his Australian commitments.

However, I think there are going to be some things working against him. He'd really benefit from a full state pre-season in the next year or two to further develop his game and freshen him up, but he would always play Australian ODIs/T20s and wouldn't get the time not to. Let alone his IPL deal.
This is the point I was going to make, I reckon he's in the same position career wise as Smith was 4/5 years ago where he was clearly talented but also obviously needed a season of solid Shield cricket to just develop his game that little bit further, something he was denied by his limited overs commitments.

Smith then kinda fell out of favour and got the opportunity to go back to NSW. Do we know if Maxwell's deal with Yorkshire is T20 only or now with Finch being injured if he's got the opportunity to play there for the rest of the season? Of course, he'll lose a good deal of FC time because he'll probably be playing in the ODI series against England, compounding my point...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
This is the point I was going to make, I reckon he's in the same position career wise as Smith was 4/5 years ago where he was clearly talented but also obviously needed a season of solid Shield cricket to just develop his game that little bit further, something he was denied by his limited overs commitments.

Smith then kinda fell out of favour and got the opportunity to go back to NSW. Do we know if Maxwell's deal with Yorkshire is T20 only or now with Finch being injured if he's got the opportunity to play there for the rest of the season? Of course, he'll lose a good deal of FC time because he'll probably be playing in the ODI series against England, compounding my point...
CA have cleared him to stay with Yorkshire than go on an Australia A tour in India. So assume that he will be available for Yorkshire for FC cricket, whether they pick him isn't certain.

burr

State Vice-Captain
It's frustrating these hugely talented Australian players like Maxwell and Faulkner get pigeon holed as ODI players because they don't get given the first class games in the Sheffield Shield. Test cricket is the ultimate and these players - particularly Faulkner - believe test cricket is the ultimate and have a burning desire to succeed in that form of the game. CA should therefore do themselves and the players a favour through the scheduling to give those players every chance to show their wares at the highest level - the four/five day game. I think a future Australian test team with Faulkner as the all rounder is a hugely exciting prospect. I for one would love to see it.

harsh.ag

MMarsh is the better pick for Australia by virtue of his batting, because they need a batting all rounder. Faulkner becomes a better batsman and he's a lock, since he is a much better bowler.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
MMarsh is the better pick for Australia by virtue of his batting, because they need a batting all rounder. Faulkner becomes a better batsman and he's a lock, since he is a much better bowler.
When this happens it'll be so good...

Warner
~
Smith *
~
M.Marsh
Maxwell
Faulkner
Nevill
Starc
Hazelwood
~