• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll 1: Playing selector: WK for the AT subcontinental XI

WK for AT subcontinental XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Toss up between Bari and Kirmani for me.

MSD not good enough with the gloves or bat for a Test ATXI. Sanga is better when he's not a keeper, will probably make the side as a batsman alone.

Prassana is good too, but Bari is very highly spoken of, and I figure he's a bit of an underdog in this poll, so I've gone for him.
I am going to use controversial language because it is my wont.

Sanga has no business leading this poll. He is not a valid voting option unless we are talking about an ODI ATG team. He retired from keeping in tests ages ago, and the people who are voting for him as keeper are pretending to themselves he will average what he does as a pure batsman when he takes the gloves back up again. He is not a legitimate option. This is a pet peeve of mine in ATG drafts and is one of many reasons why I don't participate in such activities.

bagapath

International Captain
Using number of dismissals as a cut off point is a complete nonsense. It's obviously an integral part of his job but he's heavily reliant on the quality of his bowling attack.
totally agree. but there was no simpler way to filter out those with short careers.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
bagapath cant put all the names out there. its hectic. let's just type out the name here for voting if someone goes missing out in the poll. same should apply in batsmen and bowlers' polls

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Sanga has no business leading this poll. He is not a valid voting option unless we are talking about an ODI ATG team. He retired from keeping in tests ages ago, and the people who are voting for him as keeper are pretending to themselves he will average what he does as a pure batsman when he takes the gloves back up again. He is not a legitimate option. This is a pet peeve of mine in ATG drafts and is one of many reasons why I don't participate in such activities.
what are some other reasons you dont participate? im curious, i find them good fun

bagapath

International Captain
bagapath cant put all the names out there. its hectic. let's just type out the name here for voting if someone goes missing out in the poll. same should apply in batsmen and bowlers' polls
sure. will account for Engineer's votes in the final count. we don't have to vote for anyone we don't want to select.

bagapath

International Captain

he averaged 40 with the bat as wicket keeper over 48 tests effecting 130+ dismissals. he is a genuine keeper. a terrific one for murali. hope you cast your vote in the other polls.

Howe_zat

Audio File

He kept wicket for more Tests than Latif, Mongia or half the other options on this poll that people want to include as somehow more qualified keepers.

Sanga gave up keeping wicket in order to extend his Test career as a top order batsman, successfully. That isn't a relevant factor to consider when trying to bring together the best possible side for a one off.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Well I would rather have Engineer, as already posted.

But when I voted for Sanga here, I didn't suppose he would average any more than 40-45 as a keeper. But he kept to Murali without any problems. Is there a reason you don't think he was a good enough keeper?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanga for me, if only because fitting the amount of bats into the line up would be impossible and him missing out would be a travesty. Was a very good keeper anyway.

OverratedSanity

Obviously we assume he'll average lower if he kept wickets. But he was actually keeper for quite a long period of time. 40+ tests I think. And he did a quite excellent job both with the bat and behind the stumps. He missed precious little from Murali, and keeping to him is never easy.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
As Migara will point out, if we are going to argue that Sanga wouldn't have averaged 58 if he was keeping wickets all his career, then automatically you have to accept that he would probably average 70 (or whatever that works out to) if he never kept wickets. And I can't seem to find a flaw in that logic.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

As Migara will point out, if we are going to argue that Sanga wouldn't have averaged 58 if he was keeping wickets all his career, then automatically you have to accept that he would probably averaged 70 (or whatever that works out to) if he never kept wickets. And I can't seem to find a flaw in that logic.
lol no it's full of flaws.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I do agree with you Hurricane. If Sanga had been a poor keeper I wouldn't want him on the poll either. The fact is, as a keeper-batsman, he was one of the very best. Personally, I like my keepers to be able to bat and for me, Sanga is the best choice.

cnerd123

likes this
tbf I'd rather have Sanga the pure bat + a pure keeper than Sanga the keeper bat too, but picking him as keeper due to his work with Murali is quite valid imo. And yea he's still the best batsmen of the lot even with the gloves on.

smash84

The Tiger King
any guy who can keep to murali on spinning minefields can't be a very shoddy customer.

And as other people mentioned he kept for about 50 tests averaging 45. Which is fantastic for a keeper.

Of course nobody mentioned that once Murali was done bowling those wickets became the flattest pancakes in history for Sanga to pulverize the bowlers :ph34r: