• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Minnow Bashing

Shady Slim

International Coach
so here is some food for thought - someone said that shane warne would have had well over 1000 wickets if he had played bangladesh more, and murali would have less than 800 if he had not played them as much.

so question of the day is what players would have significantly better records or worse records if they had/hadn't played all of the minnow teams more - and how much by?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think Guptil's average goes from over 30 down to 23 without Bangladesh.

That was before the England series anyway.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
that's a little silly about warne. who's to say his 3 companions wouldn't have taken lots of wickets as well

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Irfan Pathan has 100 Test wickets @ 32, which looks really quite good for an Indian fast bowler, particularly given his added batting ability and the era through which he played.

Take away Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and it becomes 61 wickets @ 45.

It always sticks in my mind as the biggest example of this.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanga, Kallis, Sachin, Dravid, Steve Waugh have all done their fair share of minnow bashing.

Worst discrepancy would have to be Irfan, as PEWS mentioned and Vettori: averages 20 vs Bang/Zim and almost double that (38.6) vs the rest.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Irfan Pathan has 100 Test wickets @ 32, which looks really quite good for an Indian fast bowler, particularly given his added batting ability and the era through which he played.

Take away Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and it becomes 61 wickets @ 45.

It always sticks in my mind as the biggest example of this.
Yet he never really got a chance under Fletcher and seeing as he was a bowler who could bat that was a big surprise to me given the way he loves them.

Debris

International 12th Man
that's a little silly about warne. who's to say his 3 companions wouldn't have taken lots of wickets as well
More likely to affect his average rather than number of wickets. It was already pretty rare for Australia not to take 20 wickets.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
so here is some food for thought - someone said that shane warne would have had well over 1000 wickets if he had played bangladesh more, and murali would have less than 800 if he had not played them as much.

so question of the day is what players would have significantly better records or worse records if they had/hadn't played all of the minnow teams more - and how much by?
If Murali played same number of matches against each opposition as Warne, still he would be about 100 wickets ahead of Warne. It's not even a metter for discussion.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Warne had his chance against Bangladesh and he got pummelled and almost lost his team the game.

Shady Slim

International Coach
just ftr as much of a warne lover as i am i agree with you when you say murali would still be statistically higher, it wasn't my opinion just some fun food for thought i heard someone else say.

vettori is an interesting one there, didn't know that he feasted on smaller sides.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jimmy Anderson's average must soar when you remove his 159 dismissals of average Indian batsmen like Tendulkar and Kohli

Shady Slim

International Coach
just ftr and these are still great figures but against Aus/Eng/Ind/SA sanga averages 46.34 and against Ban/Pak/WI/NZ he averages 71.39

i'm putting this here now so this doesn't turn in to a sanga is a minnow basher full on debate later on.

Debris

International 12th Man
If Murali played same number of matches against each opposition as Warne, still he would be about 100 wickets ahead of Warne. It's not even a metter for discussion.
The discussion is more about whether lack of quality bowling support has a positive effect on the number of wicket you take each match (ie. there is more wickets available) or negative effect (ie. lack of pressure means batsmen can try and block you out). I suspect that for spinners the effect is positive as try to play out a spinner defensively does not work as it would with a paceman. They can bowl pretty much all day. The sample size is not great enough to get a definite answer though.

indiaholic

International Captain
Categorising countries as minnows is kinda pointless. Might as well consider all batting performances against India as minnow bashing.

kingkallis

International Coach
just ftr and these are still great figures but against Aus/Eng/Ind/SA sanga averages 46.34 and against Ban/Pak/WI/NZ he averages 71.39

i'm putting this here now so this doesn't turn in to a sanga is a minnow basher full on debate later on.
And how exactly are you considering Pakistan bowling attack as a minnow? They have always had a decent bowling attack.