• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Name the Best Defensive Batmans Ever

Midwinter

State Captain
Alick Bannerman

Thanks to Wikipedia

"Bannerman made his Test debut at Melbourne in 1879, joining brother Charles, his senior by eight years, in the Australian team. "Little Alec" was a small man, his lack of size matched only by his frequent lack of run-scoring. Whereas Charles was an attacking stroke-maker, Alick was ultra-defensive, almost strokeless at times. His nickname, in contrast to that of his brother (the "Pocket Hurcules"), was "Barn Door".

A.G. Moyes provides this piece of Bannerman imagery in Australian Batsmen: "At times the crowd found him as wearisome to the flesh as fleas in a warm bed." Wisden Cricketers' Almanack dubbed him "the most famous of all stone-walling batsmen; his patience was inexhaustible."

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Does Defensive mean good at defence - or just mean the batsman with the most negative mindset.

I will weigh in on the batsman with the best Defensive system as it is an area of interest for me.

1) Rahul Dravid is technically very good and plays a model back foot defence in particular. I think I learn things just by watching him.
2) Jamie Howe has a very impressive forward defence but not a good leave. So he only partially makes the list.
3) Trevor Franklin does not make this list. He had a negative mindset yes, but despite his negative play John Wright would frequently outlast him. His forward defence was a bit of a plod down the track tbh
4) Amongst stroke makers - Tendulkar is probably at the top of my list for his defensive technique. Not quite as bad as Jamie Howe, but he would probably need to get even tighter at leaving to match it with the very best opening batsman there have been over the years. I want to qualify that comment. His leaving was good. But an opener typically is better than a middle order bat at leaving and can often make decisions to leave when there are only milliseconds before the ball arrives.
5) Amongst Australians - probably Geoff Marsh. The only reason he got out usually was on attacking shots as opposed to being found out with his defensive system.
6) Amongst the English - too obvious. But he did have an imposing forward defence that really sent a message each time he played it.
7) The West Indies - no one stands out - a lot of flashy players with Carribean flair. I don't really associate forward defences with those men.
8) New Zealand - I'll go John Wright - see my earlier post about the superior leaving skills of a good opener. John Wright could do this. When I was eleven years old and training with the age group reps, the coach took us all aside and said this. "John Wright will be facing the new ball today against a new pace bowler with a big reputation. His name is Craig McDermott. John will be asking himself one question when he faces him. That question is 'do I have to play'." We all watched John that evening and that is exactly what transpired along with a bit of verbal commentary from the new red head.
9) South Africa - I haven't seen them long enough for anyone to stand out. Definitely not Kallis. Definitely not Smith. Although both could hold their own in the defensive departments. Their respective long innings were due to their maturity as batsman and the ability to grind it out rather than their purity of their D systems. At least that is my observation as someone who studies forward defenses.

All for now have to go get my dinner.

watson

Banned
The best defensive batsman? I would have thought Hobbs, Headley, or Hutton by a country mile. All brilliant on sticky wickets.