• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thinking of doing an XI draft thread, one player from each country. Any interest?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know there's a lot of these going around but I figure why not one more? It wouldn't be til the mixed experience draft thread is essentially over, like round 10 or so. But if there are people keen you could sign up today

it's simple, Since there are only 10 test teams, the 11th option will just be "associates" made up of all the other players out there, from Ten Doeschate to Tikolo...and everyone in between:cool:

I'll make it either a test or ODI draft(probably leaning toward ODI due to the inclusion of associates, however, we can just make guesses based on associate player's FC records as to how they would have performed at test level)

Round 1: Associates
Round 2: Australia
Round 3: Bangladesh
Round 4: England
Round 5: India
Round 6: New Zealand
Round 7: Pakistan
Round 8: South Africa
Round 9: Sri Lanka
Round 10: West Indies
Round 11: Zimbabwe

this alphabetical system helps with balance as the person with first choice for associates get last choice for australia and vice versa. first bangas, last england. and first west indies(so basically guaranteed the best player in the whole thing if we're doing tests) gets last stab at zimbabwe. and hell i might do reverse alphabetical so the australia option carries a lot more importance late in the game

anyway, i dunno how well it would work, might be too simple and straightforward. food for thought though right?

any feedback appreciated

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
A ODI one with associates would be cool, or you could just make round 11 or 1 a wildcard round so you can double up on a country if you wish.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
any feedback appreciated
Your first preference sounds fine. Can't remember a mixed nations draft for some time. You may also want put a qualifier on say playing a minimum of 10 or 20 ODIs for the nations. 1 from the associates would make it interesting.

harsh.ag

Would be too biased towards the first few drafters who got to pick Murali, Hadlee, Flower, Sanga, and Shakib.

mr_mister

the order being reversed each round is meant to prevent that. first nab at muali and sanga gets last nab at sobers and lara

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the order being reversed each round is meant to prevent that. first nab at muali and sanga gets last nab at sobers and lara
If you have exactly 11 drafters, you could always make the rule that no more than 1 country/associate can be selected from every round (unless left no choice). Randomise the round orders, then reverse etc.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Yeah, but the first round drafters who get Murali, Hadlee, Flower, Sanga, and Shakib will have a much bigger advantage than the first round late drafters who get Sobers etc because the other countries have plenty of greats but Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Zimbabwe, and Bangladesh don't.

harsh.ag

hmmm good point. would zinzan's plan rectify this?
Nope. Even if you strictly place Zimb and Bang in consecutive rounds, and SL and NZ in consecutive rounds, the variance in quality between the first and eleventh choices between them is very large compared to the variance between the first and eleventh choices of, say, Windies and Australia.

So the people who land up in the middle of the Zim-Bang and SL-NZ rounds get screwed real bad.

mr_mister

i still want to do some form of this draft, even a bastardised version. i like zinan's idea of only one country can be chosen per round but i'm not sure. ill think it over and let majority decide

mr_mister

also - i'll take everyone who expressed interest in this as 'signing up'. harsh, i'm not sure if you want to participate lol. and i understand why if you don't