• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thinking of doing an XI draft thread, one player from each country. Any interest?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i still want to do some form of this draft, even a bastardised version. i like zinan's idea of only one country can be chosen per round but i'm not sure. ill think it over and let majority decide
Mate, these things are never perfect & there'll always be an element of luck depending on the orders for certain rounds, so just go with what you want to do & I'll be in.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think using the ICC rating thing like the other thread would be interesting. Oh so you want Hadlee round 1? Then in round 11 you'll end up with Paul Wilson.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
hmm interesting. but i still think the original idea has its merits. maybe ill just not make it alphabetical. since australia have 11 ATGS and NZ doesn't, they probably deserve to be next to the Associates or Zim so choosing first for NZ and last for Zim will add far more balance

mr_mister

i'll put teams with plenty of ATGS, England, Australia etc next to each other and teams with hardly any next to each other. this would be so much easier with an even number of rounds!

NZTailender

hmm interesting. but i still think the original idea has its merits. maybe ill just not make it alphabetical. since australia have 11 ATGS and NZ doesn't, they probably deserve to be next to the Associates or Zim so choosing first for NZ and last for Zim will add far more balance
NZ doesn't have 11 ATGs or NZ has no ATGs, at all?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
NZ don't have 11 ATGS. They have Hadlee
That's the challenge of this kind of draft though. If I have round 1 pick 1, do I take Hadlee because he is NZ's greatest, or do I take Sobers, or do I take Warne instead and a lesser NZ player later?

But in terms of a draft, we will normally see Crowe and Bond drafted in a regular draft, and sometimes other NZ players like Reid, Dempster, Turner and Vettori.

mr_mister

okay. so round 1 anyone can choose anyone from any country, but once that country is taken no-one else can choose from that country until round 2? or continue to make choices from it, so perhaps all 11 australians could go in round 1. which one sounds better?

either way everyone's final 11 has to feature 11 players from 11 different countries

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's always better I think to not fix the category for each round. If you fix categories, it tends to become very predictable. Within a category, everyone has roughly same ranking. When category (in this case country) is not fixed for each round, you have tricky trade offs to make. Like Gary Sobers from West Indies or Shakib al Hasan from Bangladesh.

Last edited:

Red

It''s always better I think to not fix the category for each round. If you do that, it tends to become very predictable. Within a category, everyone has roughly same ranking. When category (in this case country) is not fixed for each round, you have tricky trade offs to make. Like Gary Sobers from West Indies or Shakib al Hasan from Bangladesh.
imo those tricky trade offs are what makes this draft interesting.

mr_mister

yes i established this with my last post. however it needs to be decided if a country gets locked for the rest of the round once someone is picked from it, or to have no restrictions placed all, so it could end up 11 associates all go in round 1 to the 11 players

also should i start a new topic or keep this one

NZTailender

yes i established this with my last post. however it needs to be decided if a country gets locked for the rest of the round once someone is picked from it, or to have no restrictions placed all, so it could end up 11 associates all go in round 1 to the 11 players

Nah, don't lock it imo. Round 1, person going 1st picks a West Indian player that, while not the one person with pick no. 7 wants, is still from the same team they're targetting. So they're forced to pick someone else from the 4 remaining teams. Round 2, this picker now has 3rd choice, but the person before him picks a West Indian, thus denying them again. They then get pick no 9 the next round, etc etc.

I mean I could see how it could add strategy to it to some extent but I think its a tad restrictive.

Red

I kind of like the "locking" idea. So someone has to pick from each nation each round, and you can't pick from a nation already taken. So the last player each round has to pick from one particular team.

It's actually a really cool tactical thing. Do it.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I kind of like the "locking" idea. So someone has to pick from each nation each round, and you can't pick from a nation already taken. So the last player each round has to pick from one particular team.

It's actually a really cool tactical thing. Do it.
Yeah this is what I was meaning. Should work well with 11 participates across the 11 rounds.