• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 Test sides ever?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Apart from what's already been said, it is really accurate to extend the Aus 1948 team after you-know-who's retirement in 1948?
Going on results it's fair enough - in the years immediately after Bradman's retirement that Australian side was still exceptional. Their next three series, for instance, were a 4-0 win in South Africa, a 4-1 home Ashes win, and then a 4-1 win over a West Indian side with the 3 Ws and the two little pals, who themselves had humbled England in England a year before. It wasn't really until 1952/53 that they started coming back to the field.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I assumed we don't talk of India's 2009-2011 reign much like we don't include Bradman in drafts.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I know they never played, but I'll just put up what Mark Nicholas reckons would've been the Saffer XI in 1976.

Richards
Barlow*
Kirsten
Pollock
Lamb (even though he played for England later on)
Irvine+
Rice
Procter
Le Roux
van der Bijl
Hobson

Batting might not quite be of the same caliber outside of Pollock and Richards, but jeez, it bats deep to Le Roux. Bowling is better than the Windies tbh.
No Peter Pollock?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
No Peter Pollock?
Possibly retired by 1976?

On a similar theme, Id have thought Allan Lamb might have been too young in 1976.

EDIT
Yup, Peter Pollock retired in 1972.

But Lamb was playing FC cricket by 1976. Not that his final test average of 36 was anything special.

Last edited: