• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New feature: The Big Five - Who had Most Impact?

chasingthedon

International Regular
Doesn't take into account their fielding contributions, although that may be harder. Tendulkar probably had the least fielding impact, whilst Kallis, Ponting and Sanga probably had the biggest fielding impact. Tendulkar definitely the least. With Kallis' bowling taken into account, he definitely had the most overall impact, in my opinion.
Actually it does, as I thought I had shown with this statement:-

"that 40% represents the player’s contribution to several win probability changes as a match develops. That total may be made up of e.g. 10% in one partnership, 5% from the following one, 15% from the next, less 5% for the batsman’s dismissal, plus 5% for a catch, then 20% from his second batting innings less 10% for his dismissal."

Last edited:

chasingthedon

International Regular
Good analysis. Pure run making parameters rate Sanga, Kallis higher, while match related parameters rate Sachin, Lara more highly :) Don't really see why Kallis' bowling impact is being taken here. Makes more sense to just focus on batting to me.
There are plenty of analyses looking purely at batting - match impact takes into account everything they do, as it all has impact.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
good effort. i have to go through the article in detail. by naked judgement, punter had the most impact. hard to explain for me so i'll leave it at that.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually it does, as I thought I had shown with this statement:-

"that 40% represents the player’s contribution to several win probability changes as a match develops. That total may be made up of e.g. 10% in one partnership, 5% from the following one, 15% from the next, less 5% for the batsman’s dismissal, plus 5% for a catch, then 20% from his second batting innings less 10% for his dismissal."
Missed the catch part at first!

Victor Ian

International Coach
If you are looking at match impact on everything they do, then you should have had a big 9 and included warne, mcgrath, murali & wasim. That said, I was surprised just how crap Ponting fared.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you are looking at match impact on everything they do, then you should have had a big 9 and included warne, mcgrath, murali & wasim. That said, I was surprised just how crap Ponting fared.
Not surprising at all to me. He always gets penalised in such statistical exercises because of the strength of his own team.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Not surprising at all to me. He always gets penalised in such statistical exercises because of the strength of his own team.
That's a far point. Looking at his impact in the context of his own team, here's a graphic of the impact of a representative Australia team seen over the course of Warne's career. What's amazing to me is that, at some point all of them was most impactful, with the exception of Gillespie. I haven't looked at other teams in this way, but I would be surprised if there was another team that balanced.

2000sAus.jpg