• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scott Brant

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Scott Brant has a hell of a lot of potential IMO.

If he keeps up the control and the swing, he has a very good carear ahead of him.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The same reason that London media have more influence than Manchester, Newcastle or Grimsby.

More of them, bigger population centres = larger circulation, larger influence (Sydney).

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Why is media from NSW so prominent?
The fact of the media essentially making selection is one prevolant certainly here in England, and quite probably everywhere, and the misled attitudes to young\old players are perpetuated basically throughout the cricketing (and indeed sporting) World.
But why do NSW media have more prominence than, say, Victorian or WA media?
Because, as everyone knows, the earth revovles around N.S.W.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How about the inner core?
Neil has a point - still, you don't see the London media exuding quite as much influence over Sven-Goran Eriksson as the Sydney lot apparently do over Hohns and co.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That's probably because the media aren't quite so fanatical about football as Australian media are about cricket.

The broadsheets tend not to be too opinionated and the tabloids are all tripe.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just because the tabloids are tripe doesn't mean they have any less influence...
And I've never read that much Australian journalism, at least not tabloid-journalism, but surely you are not underestimating the fanaticness (??) of the British media for football? I'd be very surprised if the Australians were any more fanatical about cricket than the British are about our footy.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It doesn't really run to International selections, though, does it.

Plus, with Sven being Swedish, I guess he doesn't pay much attention to it.

There has seemed to be a touch of 'big club' bias at times, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Heskey being the most glaring example. It's almost as bad as Mahwire and Sibanda...:rolleyes:
But I don't quite understand this bit:
It doesn't really run to International selections, though, does it
I thought that was what we were talking about - international selections, be it in cricket or football.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Heskey merits his place in the side.

I can't believe I just wrote that.

Anyway, just thinking to media coverage of International players - there haven't really been any major media get-him-out or pick-him campaigns since.. well... er... Le Tissier?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wise, McManaman, Anderton, Owen, Heskey (:rolleyes:), Rooney, Ince, Gascoigne, need I go on?
And personally I don't think Emile merits his place in the side at all.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't remember anything about Wise.

Anderton at his peak was easily a shoe in for England, Owen, Rooney and Heskey are the best 3 English forwards available, Ince was excellent and Gazza was a legend.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wise was always one of the biggest "we love to hate" guys in English football.
Then, when he wasn't good enough for internationals any more, everyone started all the "get him in". And somehow, he got in - the Euro 2000 squad.
Ince and Gazza were both fantastic players, but the media sure got on their backs sometimes and hollered their names at others (and even then Gazza never quite managed to get back in after WC98).
And Owen, Rooney and Heskey; as maybe (and personally I wouldn't say anything of the sort about Heskey and never have done) but I'm not Owen and Rooney would have been picked as young as they were but for media campaigns.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
is Brant still injured??

he played most of last year with Queensland, but this year hasn't played hardly at all nor even in the second XI team.

I was very impressed with him, but he could definetaly do with another yard or two of pace.