• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who played tests in England on five tours

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Only because I was wondering about Clarke earlier, but of course he's only been on four.

Anyway, so far I've come up with Viv Richards, Tendulkar, Hadlee and, I think, Gavaskar and Clive Lloyd.

Notables who I don't think toured five times include Bradman, Imran, Javed and Border.

Anyone else who toured the old country five times?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Only because I was wondering about Clarke earlier, but of course he's only been on four.

Anyway, so far I've come up with Viv Richards, Tendulkar, Hadlee and, I think, Gavaskar and Clive Lloyd.

Notables who I don't think toured five times include Bradman, Imran, Javed and Border.

Anyone else who toured the old country five times?

Oz have done a couple of ODI only tours in recent times so that would surely bump Clarke up to six?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Oz have done a couple of ODI only tours in recent times so that would surely bump Clarke up to six?
I suppose it would. I was only thinking about tests because tend to remember them better. And I'm not fussed about ODI series without tests. Once you bring in test-less one-day series and World Cups the picture changes. That being said, Richards and Lloyd played in the 1975, 1979 and 1983 World Cups, none of which were years when WI toured England.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid 4 as well? Or did he manage 5?
I think he was only four - 1996, 2002, 2007 and 2011. Unless he came over when he was very young in 1990. I'll have a look.
EDIT - no, he debuted in 1996.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aravinda De Silva must have come over a fair few times as well, they used to get one off tests didn't they?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I suppose it would. I was only thinking about tests because tend to remember them better. And I'm not fussed about ODI series without tests. Once you bring in test-less one-day series and World Cups the picture changes. That being said, Richards and Lloyd played in the 1975, 1979 and 1983 World Cups, none of which were years when WI toured England.
Fair one. I'm sure plenty of Aussies will surpass it in the future anyway, now that we have an Ashes series every three weeks

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think he was only four - 1996, 2002, 2007 and 2011. Unless he came over when he was very young in 1990. I'll have a look.
EDIT - no, he debuted in 1996.
Ya his first test match was in the middle of that 1996 tour where he scored 90-odd IIRC.

Tendulkar = Dravid + 1990

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Aravinda De Silva must have come over a fair few times as well, they used to get one off tests didn't they?
But only very rarely. I did wonder about Ranatunga, who first came here when he was about 18 and still only toured here three times. I'll have a look.

EDIT
Great call. De Silva came here in 1984, 1988, 1991, 1998 (all one off tests) and finally 2002.
I'd completely forgotten that he came here in 1984, as he wasn't even 18 then.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Jack Blackham toured 7 times 1880, 82, 84,86, 88, 90 and 93
That's the sort of thing we're looking for. It's extraordinary how often they came over here given the transport at the time.
There must be others who came over five times from that era.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Checked De Silva, he did play 5. Played just one test in all but the last of them.