• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who played tests in England on five tours

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fraid not. If it's any consolation, your contribution about Fred's honeymoons is the best thing I've seen here for ages. Almost Brumbyesque.
Turns out my original reply was stupid then!

Glad to have made up for it haha

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe I originally forgot Sobers - 1957, 1963, 1966, 1969 and 1973.
Someone to share the new ball with Hadlee, as we're getting close to an XI.

cpr

International Coach
Hugh Trumble toured in 1890, 93, 96, 99 and 1902.... Feels a bit cheating to go for the early Aussies though

So lets throw in Jayawardene - 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011 & 2014

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Bannerman (AC) and Giffen also played in 5 series in the 19th century.
Chanderpaul played in 6 series (1995, 2000, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2012).
Deryck Murray's career (1963-80) spanned 6 tours, but he only played in 4.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Clarke's had six international tours to England Four Ashes, Pak tests and England ODIs in 2010, and 2012 ODIs.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Was fairly confident that Rohan Kanhai and Deryk Murray would have given the length of their careers but both missed tours for different reasons and stalled on 4. Murray missed 1969 because Notts wouldn't release him from his contract.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Was fairly confident that Rohan Kanhai and Deryk Murray would have given the length of their careers but both missed tours for different reasons and stalled on 4. Murray missed 1969 because Notts wouldn't release him from his contract.
Do you know why Kanhai didn't play in 1969?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Odd that we haven't come up with a full-time spinner, as you'd expect them to play for ages. Gibbs only played in 4 series. Don't know about Bedi. I don't think Benaud played here five times.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Do you know why Kanhai didn't play in 1969?
He was apparently "injured", though I don't know any details.

Odd that we haven't come up with a full-time spinner, as you'd expect them to play for ages. Gibbs only played in 4 series. Don't know about Bedi. I don't think Benaud played here five times.
I checked on Bedi and Chandra but neither made 5 tours. The fact that there was no tour between 59 and 67 made Indians less likely. A bit surprising perhaps that no one from the 67 tour made it to 82.