• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Five Wicket Haul

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Botham at Melbourne on the 1986/87 Tour. Bowling at half pace and took 5 for 41 and not a decent delivery amongst them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
McGrath at Old Trafford in 2005. England on a declaration charge, virtually every dismissal was slogged into the deep.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't there a few by Finn circa 2011? I vaguely recall one he took in NZ that was disgusting.

ajdude

International Coach
jason krejza's 8/215 was the jekyll and hyde of five wicket hauls. some genuinely beautiful wicket taking deliveries but absolute pus most of the time. not sure where that would rank in that case

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
omg i love krejza's performance, great theater. gets smashed to hell in his opening spell, career on the line, manages to snag 8 wickets, with a bit of back n forth, finishing strong. rags to riches story with a happy ending. then unfortunately in the sequal he flopped and was never seen again, despite his one wicket in that match being a beautiful ball

i dont think he ever got 5 for but I remember Shane Lee getting a 4'fa in an ODI which didn't impress me at all, doubt the selectors thought too much of it either because i dont remember him playing for much longer

Howe_zat

Audio File
Wasn't there a few by Finn circa 2011? I vaguely recall one he took in NZ that was disgusting.
Remember him being the leading wicket taker in the 2010-11 ashes after three tests despite bowling really badly. Don't think he took 5 though. The one you're thinking of was against NZ in 2013, I think.

~

Speaking of 2010-11, Johnson at the SCG.

fredfertang

Phil Edmonds took five cheap wickets on debut against Australia in 1975 - I don't remember any of them but do recall vividly how scathing Trueman and Bailey were about it on TMS both saying he'd bowl much better in the future and take none for plenty

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Phil Edmonds took five cheap wickets on debut against Australia in 1975 - I don't remember any of them but do recall vividly how scathing Trueman and Bailey were about it on TMS both saying he'd bowl much better in the future and take none for plenty
I vaguely remember that one as well. Not that Trueman and Bailey being scathing was any sort of rarity, but I remember Edmonds' five-for on debut and that the commentators thought he was lucky.
That was the match where the final day was abandoned because the pitch was damaged by the supporters of some low-life who was doing time, wasn't it?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Remember him being the leading wicket taker in the 2010-11 ashes after three tests despite bowling really badly. Don't think he took 5 though. The one you're thinking of was against NZ in 2013, I think.

~

Speaking of 2010-11, Johnson at the SCG.
Pretty sure he blew away the Australian tail after Hussey and Haddin's bajillion run partnership

harsh.ag

jason krejza's 8/215 was the jekyll and hyde of five wicket hauls. some genuinely beautiful wicket taking deliveries but absolute pus most of the time. not sure where that would rank in that case
omg i love krejza's performance, great theater. gets smashed to hell in his opening spell, career on the line, manages to snag 8 wickets, with a bit of back n forth, finishing strong. rags to riches story with a happy ending. then unfortunately in the sequal he flopped and was never seen again, despite his one wicket in that match being a beautiful ball
Haha what a match that was. Krejza was on a hattrick twice, once in each innings; Ganguly did a Bradman for his final innings; Ponting returned SRT's run out; and Watson played as third pacer for Australia, with White playing as Jr Watson:happy:

91Jmay

International Coach
It's possible I'm not remembering that match now you mention it
He got another 6fer against the Aussies as well when he bowled well, first one he just had loads of blokes caught on boundary. His economy rate was good though so it was a **** suggestion from me tbh.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Finn took six at Brisbane. I brought it up in the match thread when this discussion came up

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Remember it well. Ian Chappell was bowled playing over a long hop. Greg Chappell caught at square leg off a long hop. They went off for tea on that dismissal and Ross Edwards padded away a straight ball first ball after tea and was LBW. Doug Walters played back to a short long hop and was LBW (a bit of an iffy decision). I don't remember the fifth one. Trueman and Bailey, as well as Jim Laker on the TV were all fairly scathing about the selection in the first place. He hadn't really earned his selection and having Edmonds and Underwood in the same team made little sense (according to Laker). I never had a problem with two left armers if they were the best two spinners. The strange thing about Edmonds was he had an almost perfect action, but what happened when he let go of the ball was less than perfect. I remember him once being warned for bowling two consecutive bouncers (yes, deliberate bouncers) shortly after the one per over came in.

HeathDavisSpeed

I took a really awful five wicket haul once. Well, four of the wickets were okay but the 5th was mainly because the batsman hadn't spotted the fielder out at deep mid-wicket as he'd been off the pitch moments earlier taking a slash in the bushes. None of us were aware of this fact until we heard about it in the bar afterwards from a couple of spectators.