• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Zimbabwe and South Africa 2015

Howsie

International Captain
Bahnz makes a most interesting point about overs 1-10 not being about "powerplay scoring" these days. I do not think he is correct with De Kock, Gayle, Hales, Dilshan, McCullum, Warner even Finch all doing their thing, but I do not wish to debate it right now, because in a year's time, post NZ Aus ODI series, we can have a much better indication of where things are at in current ODI cricket for the first 10 overs.
Hmmm, what does "doing their thing" actually mean here? Since the start of 2014 (so a good 18 or so months) only McCullum and Warner have strike rates over 100 from that group, McCullum doing so with a sub 30 average however. The rest, Dilshan averages 48 striking @ 86, Finch 40 @ 85, de Kock 32 @ 88, Hales 25 @ 94 and Gayle 20 @ 90.

If those are numbers you want Latham aiming for then God help him because he sure as heck wouldn't make it as a ODI opener. I obvs mean Hales, Gayle and even McCullum there. Nothing wrong with Dilshan but he isn't exacly some sort of dasher.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
2:50 for Sodhi's ball to get Chibhabha. 3:50 for KW's 2000rpm+ turn.
I didn't actually see that KW ball live but geeze that ripped. The Sodhi turner I was referring to I think was to Ervine. Turned bigger than the one that earned him a stumping.

Hmmm, what does "doing their thing" actually mean here? Since the start of 2014 (so a good 18 or so months) only McCullum and Warner have strike rates over 100 from that group, McCullum doing so with a sub 30 average however. The rest, Dilshan averages 48 striking @ 86, Finch 40 @ 85, de Kock 32 @ 88, Hales 25 @ 94 and Gayle 20 @ 90.

With all due respect, I will assume that either you have worked out a meaning for what the quoted phrase means given your extensive looking up SR stats for opening batsmen, all of whom are striking higher than Latham, and that you are merely asking a rhetorical question and that you are opening the topic to debate with other people because I am sure that you understood the part where I said that I do not wish to debate it right now. So you will appreciate that I am not being rude by not replying to you.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member

Howsie

International Captain

With all due respect, I will assume that either you have worked out a meaning for what the quoted phrase means given your extensive looking at SR stats for batsmen all striking higher than Latham and are merely asking a rhetorical question or you are opening the topic to debate with other people because I am sure that you understood the part where I said that I do not wish to debate it right now.
Kane Williamson is the best cricketer on the planet..... but I do not wish to debate this right now.

How fun.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is, they're all guys you associate with 100+ strike rates because they make 130 (100) if they get in. But that's tempered by the 20 (35) type scores when they get out early

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Which ball is being used in this series? Surely it's not the same Duke that was used in the recent series against India?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fine Bahnz saw him turn a single delivery. Perhaps he even turned 2 or 3 while I was eating my ribs and not looking.
Of the three spinners kW got the least spin. Because he is part timer. The two front line spinners got appreciable turn.

To me it is lies.

I don't mind his take on Latham as he just wants to defend his point of view even though it is wrong.

Emotion driven arguments I can deal with but bold faced lies are against the rules as it is trolling.
::lol:

2:50 for Sodhi's ball to get Chibhabha. 3:50 for KW's 2000rpm+ turn.
:wub: the Ish turn. Bonkers.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is, they're all guys you associate with 100+ strike rates because they make 130 (100) if they get in. But that's tempered by the 20 (35) type scores when they get out early
This post is good normally, but is inconsistent with earlier logic and thought processes proposed in the thread - therefore it loses points in context.

Specifically, since people like specifics, Grumpy wasn't happy with Latham because he had a slow start - so one would presume that Grumpy's definition of a 100 SR guy is someone like Baz who goes from ball one and maintains a 100 SR throughout.

Therefore Howsie's stats are a legit rebuttal - in context.

Howsie

International Captain
Nah, they're all big hitterz that strike at 150+ from the get go. Only way to play as an ODI opener..

This post is good normally, but is inconsistent with earlier logic and thought processes proposed in the thread - therefore it loses points in context.

Specifically, since people like specifics, Grumpy wasn't happy with Latham because he had a slow start - so one would presume that Grumpy's definition of a 100 SR guy is someone like Baz who goes from ball one and maintains a 100 SR throughout.

Therefore Howsie's stats are a legit rebuttal - in context.
Hurricane, you made posts at 6.25 pm and another at 8.24 pm in this thread. I would like to critique your logic and premises, that is your arguments, in those posts but I do not wish to hurt your feelings. Do I have your permission to do so? I normally wouldn't ask, but this is more than merely correcting factual mistakes, and I find that people on this forum can be quite emotional when having their arguments displayed as illogical, and it gets heated and then I get banned and told that I am unnecessarily harsh or aggressive or disrespectful to people's feelings. People around here often do not seem to like being told that their posts are illogical and it can get emotional for them. And then I get banned.

So PEWS and Dan, if he says yes, and it subsequently turns into a **** storm, please bear in mind that I asked him if he minded first.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Anyway...

They have all the data now so I think a stat showing a batsman' strike-rate for first 20 balls faced, then 20 ball blocks from then on would be very interesting.

Simararly, a bowler's E/R for overs 1-10 and overs 41-50, etc.

The difference in Kyle Mills and Matt Henry's economy rates would be revealing tstl

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hurricane, you made posts at 6.25 pm and another at 8.24 pm in this thread. I would like to critique your logic and premises, that is your arguments, in those posts but I do not wish to hurt your feelings. Do I have your permission to do so? I normally wouldn't ask, but I find that people on this forum can be quite emotional when having their arguments displayed as illogical, and it gets heated and then I get banned and told that I am unnecessarily harsh or aggressive or disrespectful to people's feelings. People around here often do not seem to like being told that their posts are illogical and it can get emotional for them. And then I get banned.

So PEWS and Dan, if he says yes, and it subsequently turns into a **** storm, please bear in mind that I asked him if he minded first.
If you can restrict yourself to pointing out why I am wrong, I would have no issue with you responding, your part about it maybe ending up in a **** storm does worry me and means I may or may not respond to what you write if I think it will take both of us in that direction.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't actually see that KW ball live but geeze that ripped. The Sodhi turner I was referring to I think was to Ervine. Turned bigger than the one that earned him a stumping.
Sodhi to Sikandar Raza, no run, ripper! beats the outside edge easily, pitched on of stump and turned a lot to beat the edge. Great delivery

It's still a bit low res and in beta testing, but cricingif.com is eventually going to be quite a useful site -

Cricingif - Live Scorepage

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
After I saw Riggins' blog I was actually considering creating a site just like that before googling and discovering it already existed. But I agree. :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway...

They have all the data now so I think a stat showing a batsman' strike-rate for first 20 balls faced, then 20 ball blocks from then on would be very interesting.

Simararly, a bowler's E/R for overs 1-10 and overs 41-50, etc.

The difference in Kyle Mills and Matt Henry's economy rates would be revealing tstl
Yeah, indeed. I mean, if you look at Chris Gayle's T20 career, he has a weirdly high number of single figure scores from double-digit balls faced, yet is one of the biggest hitters and fastest scorers of all time. Even in T20, he doesn't mind settling himself in and backing himself to catch up.

In modern ODI cricket, I care about wickets in hand come the ~35th over; the more wickets you have in the shed (and the more settled your current batsmen), the harder you can go, and the earlier you can do it. I'm not talking Latham doing a Geoff Marsh or anything, but if he starts fractionally slower than most and -- more often than not -- catches up as he goes along, I'll be very happy. If he gets out for 14 (26) on a regular basis, then he probably shouldn't be in the team.

Wanting an opener to go along at 50 @ 100 for a whole career is asking a huge amount; that makes him an ATG-and-a-half considering the two new balls rule (and really draws into focus how much of a freak Amla is in ODI cricket)