• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Zimbabwe and South Africa 2015

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Latham is there covering McCullum as a top order bat.
Would have preferred Watling, even forgetting the keeping & even as an opener. Unless it was Watling's decision to sit out the tour, it's hard to know what the lad needs to do.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Really? That's your rationale for wanting him to tour Zim and SA for some fairly meaningless ODIs?

Firstly, not sure how it will benefit his test game, which is in a pretty good place atm anyway & secondly, do you really think they'll attract big crowds for these tours?
We lost the World Cup due to stage fright.
You might not agree with that as that is just my view. And a controversial one.

Over the course of my viewership the black caps have been nervous in front of large crowds especially the new players.
Rod Latham claimed his biggest asset in cricket was his npc experience for red and black. He said he knew about crowds and pressure.
As long as we get 5000 fans or more at a game it will be of some benefit.

The other issue is that while odis hurt the form of test match bowlers they help batsman. It is an opportunity to score some runs and that is always welcome,

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh Hesson made it very clear in the media what Watling needed to develop to ever get another white ball chance. Shots off both feet.

Zinzan

We lost the World Cup due to stage fright.
You might not agree with that as that is just my view. And a controversial one.
I feel we were just outplayed at the MCG from a slightly better side in their own conditions. But even if there was an element of stage-fright, that to me was a function of the occasion of a WC final than the fact it was a large crowd.
Over the course of my viewership the black caps have been nervous in front of large crowds especially the new players.
Rod Latham claimed his biggest asset in cricket was his npc experience for red and black. He said he knew about crowds and pressure.
As long as we get 5000 fans or more at a game it will be of some benefit.
You don't think this pattern of us not going so well in front of big crowds has more to do with us playing Australia over there do you? I mean we seemed to go okay in front of 50,000 screaming fans twice at Eden Park & even the Aussies & SAfricans said the noise at Eden Park was the most deafening they'd ever experienced.
The other issue is that while odis hurt the form of test match bowlers they help batsman. It is an opportunity to score some runs and that is always welcome,
Seems counter-intuitive to play Latham in ODIs to improve his Test game, and I very much doubt the selectors picked him for that reason. His Test SR is just fine, and he's at his best when he's playing within himself with soft-hands. If anything, ODIs will force him to go searching more.

It would be different if you were arguing that he had promise as an ODI player in it's own right.

Anyway, let's hope I'm wrong and that he improves upon his average of 23 and SR in the low 70s.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Stoked to see Milne back in the attack. Boult, Southee and Henry simply haven't been bowling as fast as you would like them to. Especially Henry and Boult. Boult is obviously understandable due to the workload and injuries. Southee's never been too quick but surprised as to why Henry is bowling slower now....I remember reading on an article somewhere on cricinfo where they said Henry was bowling 145k's consistently against pakistan at the dubai tour last year (exaggerated or true I'm not sure). Although I hope Milne really continues with his sheer pace and becomes a breakout star during this afrian tour. And seeing as this is being seen as an experimental tour, I seriously hope ronchi and mitch mclghn aren't given any further chances and that someone else is given a chance instead. But I'm guessing ronchi will probably retain his place ( -__- ) but I could see bracewell/wheeler replacing mclenaghan.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Stoked to see Milne back in the attack. Boult, Southee and Henry simply haven't been bowling as fast as you would like them to. Especially Henry and Boult. Boult is obviously understandable due to the workload and injuries. Southee's never been too quick but surprised as to why Henry is bowling slower now....I remember reading on an article somewhere on cricinfo where they said Henry was bowling 145k's consistently against pakistan at the dubai tour last year (exaggerated or true I'm not sure). Although I hope Milne really continues with his sheer pace and becomes a breakout star during this afrian tour. And seeing as this is being seen as an experimental tour, I seriously hope ronchi and mitch mclghn aren't given any further chances and that someone else is given a chance instead. But I'm guessing ronchi will probably retain his place ( -__- ) but I could see bracewell/wheeler replacing mclenaghan.
Ronchi retains his place because I don't think you can expect Latham to keep. And this is probably the kind of tour where Ronchi will stand up with a few 90s.

Bolo

State Captain
I feel we were just outplayed at the MCG from a slightly better side in their own conditions. But even if there was an element of stage-fright, that to me was a function of the occasion of a WC final than the fact it was a large crowd.
This.

That Aus team was, in home-conditions, one of the best balanced teams I've seen, and a number of the players were in sublime form.

NZ have played in front of big crowds a lot more frequently than in WC finals.

Zinzan

Yup, claiming we got 'stage-fright' in the WC final primarily as a function of there being a big crowd is strange logic, especially considering we played the best side in the world in their own backyard.

Hmmm.

Watling and Latham lack a power game that Ronchi can bring to close out an innings.

If Watling was to make the side, he needs to be doing a more Grant Elliot type role batting at 5. Which he possibly could (except Grunter can push the tempo once he is set at the death or whenever he feels the need). But Grunter is the 6th bowler. But Watling can keep, which means Ronchi can be let out for pasture with Elliot and a Munro type does the Ronchi role with the bat at 7 (after Corey) and the Elliot role with the ball. This home summer could well be Ronchi's last. How long is the javellin planning on sticking around for? He makes runs and has his position is locked for now, but age is not on his side for his next form slump.

You heard it hear first.

If Tom Latham fails on this tour, hopefully that is the last we hear of him being a pyjama cricketer for a while. And I really don't care for Zimbabwe runs - he already has those bolstering his ODI record presently. For all the talk of him replacing Ronchi or McCullum one day, sloggers (or ability to successfully slog) are needed in modern odi cricket teams. SR and batting deep is critical. Post 350/400 and chase 350/400. Getting rid of the power play and having another fielder back at the death increases the need for sloggers, and does not diminish it.

Last edited: