Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is the advent of day/night Test cricket a harbinger for a Test World Cup?

  1. #1
    International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,362

    Is the advent of day/night Test cricket a harbinger for a Test World Cup?

    The great thing about ODI World Cups is that you can have matches in the morning and matches in the evening, which means total coverage, the dream of any television executive.

    The idea of a Test World Cup has long been suggested, but may not have been attempted yet on account of being economically impractical.

    If pink ball Tests are a success, this could mean that a Test World Cup becomes economically viable on account of being able to saturate the time zones with live cricket on a level comparable to an ODI World Cup.

    Note that this theory started out as a conspiracy theory so it might be a pooser.

  2. #2
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,395
    God I hope not. I hope Adelaide is such a ****fest that it never becomes viable again to play a one-off Test, let alone a World Cup.

  3. #3
    International Coach mr_mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    13,456
    ^?

    i saw a test at adelaide, beautiful ground

  4. #4
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,508
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    God I hope not. I hope Adelaide is such a ****fest that it never becomes viable again to play a one-off Test, let alone a World Cup.
    Why do you hate Test cricket?
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?


  5. #5
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Why do you hate Test cricket?
    Haha sorry, I mean day-night Test. And Adelaide is a magnficent part of the world, that's not my issue either.

    I mean, I'll watch it. I can't wait to see Kane graft out 4 hours for a superbly made 98, only to be bowled by a ball he literally never saw. Or watch either side bat through an entire daylight period on a completely flat one with a ball that plays like it's lost the air out of it.

    Of course, the geniuses in TV will say 'hey, it rated better than day Tests - let's have them all the time!'. So hence why I hope it's a ****fest and I wish someone else was playing in it.
    Last edited by SteveNZ; 07-07-2015 at 12:31 AM.

  6. #6
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,508
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Haha sorry, I mean day-night Test. And Adelaide is a magnficent part of the world, that's not my issue either.

    I mean, I'll watch it. I can't wait to see Kane graft out 4 hours for a superbly made 98, only to be bowled by a ball he literally never saw. Or watch either side bat through an entire daylight period on a completely flat one with a ball that plays like it's lost the air out of it.

    Of course, the geniuses in TV will say 'hey, it rated better than day Tests - let's have them all the time!'. So hence why I hope it's a ****fest and I wish someone else was playing in it.
    So you hope that an experiment that, if successful, would massively boost the commercial long-term viability of Test cricket fails so badly it's never repeated?

    Once again, why do you hate Test cricket?
    CaptainGrumpy and Jono like this.

  7. #7
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    So you hope that an experiment that, if successful, would massively boost the commercial long-term viability of Test cricket fails so badly it's never repeated?

    Once again, why do you hate Test cricket?
    Success is not measured by the amount of 'eyeballs' a TV exec points to on a spreadsheet. Are you telling me Test cricket is not viable as a commercial entity as it stands? Or are you telling me it's not as viable as it could be if it was bastardised?

    You've got it all wrong, I love Test cricket with every inch of my heart. The players do too. This isn't red ball to white ball in terms of the transition.

    I guess I should be heartened by quotes like the ones from Mitchell Starc, who has played with a pink ball. He seemed over the moon to be gifted the opportunity to boost the long-term viability of Test cricket. I mean he couldn't see the ball from the boundary (god knows how the crowd will) but hey, at least TVs will be on right?

    'We've got to deal with it the best way we can': Josh Hazelwood. Stick that on your promotional material.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,508
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Success is not measured by the amount of 'eyeballs' a TV exec points to on a spreadsheet. Are you telling me Test cricket is not viable as a commercial entity as it stands? Or are you telling me it's not as viable as it could be if it was bastardised?

    You've got it all wrong, I love Test cricket with every inch of my heart. The players do too. This isn't red ball to white ball in terms of the transition.

    I guess I should be heartened by quotes like the ones from Mitchell Starc, who has played with a pink ball. He seemed over the moon to be gifted the opportunity to boost the long-term viability of Test cricket. I mean he couldn't see the ball from the boundary (god knows how the crowd will) but hey, at least TVs will be on right?

    'We've got to deal with it the best way we can': Josh Hazelwood. Stick that on your promotional material.
    No, success is determined by whether Test cricket actually exists in thirty, forty, fifty years time. Whether you like it or not, whether Test cricket is commercially viable will be the major determinant in that - or do you expect boards to continue to front up the costs of loss-making Test series forever? So yes, I hope that some network exec points to a spreadsheet in the not-too-distant future, works out that hey this is a really good commercial product to sell (on top of the more fundamental qualities Test cricket has which is why we should do everything in our reasonable power to ensure its long-term success), and we get a ****load more Test cricket for a long, long time to come.

    There are issues to be solved, no doubt. It's an experiment, hence there are significant unknowns and hence significant sources of necessary caution. But I genuinely cannot fathom wanting this to actually fail - unless you value some vaguely defined notion of purity over actually existing.
    Last edited by Spark; 07-07-2015 at 01:14 AM.

  9. #9
    State Vice-Captain slugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,059
    "They called it the first one-day international which rather surprised me years later. I thought,
    'Gee it's part of history'. That game we thought was a bit of a joke." ASHLEY MALLETT, THE AUSTRALIAN OFFSPINNER

    There was a time when players thought one day cricket was a joke aswell.

    Thank goodness we didn't listen to the players, the ODI would have never got off the ground.

    Same needs to be said about Mitchell Starc, if he doesn't want to play, then say hes not available for selection.

  10. #10
    International Captain adub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    a parallel universe where Andrew Hilditch was a good chairman of selectors
    Posts
    6,065
    I'm certainly prepared to give it a crack. I wish that Bangladesh v Zimbabwe tests were drawing good solid 20k crowds to each day and attracting solid TV revenue. I wish young West Indian players were desperate to play tests and simply refused to consider an IPL contract that interfered with that. I wish Test crowds in India were the seething packed in masses they were even 15 years ago. I would love to see Test cricket expand so that Ireland and Afghanistan and whoever else wanted to could be part of what is for me the ultimate team sport. But none of those things are likely. Day/night tests may not be the answer, but maybe it is a small part of the answer to not just maintain Test Cricket at it's current level but to allow it to grow and capture the hearts of new fans.

    I wouldn't worry about a world cup though. The game just doesn't lend itself to such a thing. It's one of the things that make Test Cricket so unique and so interesting. Each series is a thing in and of itself, contained and with it's own identity. The way to grow the sport is to grow these head to head rivalries.

  11. #11
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,395
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    "They called it the first one-day international which rather surprised me years later. I thought,
    'Gee it's part of history'. That game we thought was a bit of a joke." ASHLEY MALLETT, THE AUSTRALIAN OFFSPINNER

    There was a time when players thought one day cricket was a joke aswell.

    Thank goodness we didn't listen to the players, the ODI would have never got off the ground.

    Same needs to be said about Mitchell Starc, if he doesn't want to play, then say hes not available for selection.
    Yeah but this essence of this issue is the ball, and the ability to see it/hit it/swing it. When your equipment creates major issues and devalues the quality of your product, as has been readily accepted in the short history of the pink ball, that's a much bigger issue. The only one talking it up is the head of Kookaburra and David White/James Sutherland.

    I've been hearing for years that the future of Test cricket is waning, yet I see the FTP consistently pop up with 5/4/3-Test series. Why is that? Where's the evidence that night cricket is required as a defibrillator for Test matches? There are better solutions than giving TV what they want with a product that is significantly jeopardised.

  12. #12
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,508
    You are aware that the majority of Test series - the vast majority - lose money, yes? And that night Test cricket is estimated to bring in up to three times as much revenue as daytime cricket?

    You want to see no Test cricket except between England, India and Australia? Because that's where it'll end up if ways aren't found to make it profitable. No, it wouldn't work everywhere. No, it isn't perfect. But given that there is no thing as a timeless, unchanging "perfect Test" and given that it is possible to actually, y'know, solve problems, I find it risible to actually want it to fail.
    Last edited by Spark; 07-07-2015 at 01:58 AM.
    zorax likes this.

  13. #13
    State Vice-Captain slugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,059
    Who are playing these 5 -4 test series the big three. Get real all other teams a treated like the unwanted step child. its history and tradition that has held back test cricket being a true world sport, its all short sighted interest for the big three. this maybe a move in the right direction. sure there will be teething problems, but these are only minor issues that can be amended and rectified, but given up completely and not trying something at all is lame and and unproductive.

  14. #14
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    54,508
    The only Test series that Cricket Australia - who are surely best placed of all the non-Indian nations to make Test matches commercially viable - make a profit on are the Ashes and Indian series. Everything else makes a loss.

    I can understand people being pessimistic, but the benefits if it works are so obvious that there only way I can logically see people wanting it to fail is if they hate Test cricket.
    Last edited by Spark; 07-07-2015 at 02:03 AM.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    22,877
    I do believe the ICC and all affiliated Cricket Boards don't do enough to make Test matches attractive tbh. The scheduling, marketing, pitches, coverage, all leave a lot to be desired. And the way they all treat Domestic cricket, urgh.

    While I am all for Day-Night tests, I do believe there is a lot more than can and should be done by the boards to make Test and FC cricket more marketable. Problem is most of them are too incompetent, power hungry and short-sighted to do anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 84
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 03:20 AM
  2. Day/night Test cricket
    By slippy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 23-04-2010, 01:09 AM
  3. Day/Night test cricket planned
    By Langeveldt in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 06:07 AM
  4. Adelaide to host controversial first day-night Test
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 11:56 AM
  5. Night Test cricket - why not?
    By pasag in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 21-06-2008, 03:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •