Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: JH Kallis v SM Pollock

If (and this is probably only a hypothetical situation) you had a batsmen who averages say 40 (or any good batting average, really) and is used constantly as a frontline bowler with a normal workload for such a role but is absolutely rubbish at it, do you call them an all rounder? I think I would, which contradicts my earlier statement.
    Follow me @cricket_gc, should you want to learn more of my cricketing thoughts and opinions, or read them in more detail on my blog: https://gccricket.wordpress.com

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijed View Post
    If (and this is probably only a hypothetical situation) you had a batsmen who averages say 40 (or any good batting average, really) and is used constantly as a frontline bowler with a normal workload for such a role but is absolutely rubbish at it, do you call them an all rounder? I think I would, which contradicts my earlier statement.
    I think that’s a little too hypothetical. It’s hard to imagine someone that bad being constantly used as a frontline bowler. For someone to be considered an all rounder they’d have to bowl with some degree of merit, not just bowl a lot badly.

Stan McCabe?
    OverratedSanity likes this.
    cricket rules brah

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    McCabe only really played as a "frontline" bowler when Australia were playing 3 spinners plus Tim Wall. So he wasn't really a frontline bowler by definition, just opening the bowling.

Ganguly did the same sort of thing for India from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

International Debutant srbhkshk's Avatar
    Yeah, I think Ganguly was used a lot like this before Zaheer and Nehra came along, but he isn't really considered much of an all rounder.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I think that’s a little too hypothetical. It’s hard to imagine someone that bad being constantly used as a frontline bowler. For someone to be considered an all rounder they’d have to bowl with some degree of merit, not just bowl a lot badly.
    I think the base assumption is that if you take up the role of a frontline bowler, you are somewhat competent at it.

Usually you'll see a lot of bowlers bowl a big chunk of overs without great stats because they're just a holding bowler. Plug up one end for the bulk of the day and don't let the batsmen get too comfortable or score too freely. They're aren't taking wickets because usually the team lacks any other bowler who can build pressure, or has a strategy through which they attack with certain bowlers at one end and just want to restrict scoring at the other.

I think such bowlers are still front-line bowlers, and to be able to take on this role whilst also being a frontline batsman is pretty impressive. Think of guys like Sobers, Mankad, Shakib, event Vettori for a brief period of time. The role they play for their side is immense.
    mr_mister likes this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Cricketer Of The Year SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    I'll take a lower order cameo than a boring century by a top-order batsman 6.5/7 days a week
    Symmetry is beauty, beauty is truth. Breaking symmetry means breaking truth.

International Regular CricAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    I think the base assumption is that if you take up the role of a frontline bowler, you are somewhat competent at it.

Usually you'll see a lot of bowlers bowl a big chunk of overs without great stats because they're just a holding bowler. Plug up one end for the bulk of the day and don't let the batsmen get too comfortable or score too freely. They're aren't taking wickets because usually the team lacks any other bowler who can build pressure, or has a strategy through which they attack with certain bowlers at one end and just want to restrict scoring at the other.

I think such bowlers are still front-line bowlers, and to be able to take on this role whilst also being a frontline batsman is pretty impressive. Think of guys like Sobers, Mankad, Shakib, event Vettori for a brief period of time. The role they play for their side is immense.
    Isn't Shakib the main wicket taker for BD? Is he a holding bowler?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CricAddict View Post
    Isn't Shakib the main wicket taker for BD? Is he a holding bowler?
    tbf he's only the leading wicket-taker of all time because he is their only Test-quality bowler ever (could make an argument for Rafique and Mortaza in his prime, and Mehdi and Fizz look the part now)

He probably is more attacking than your standard holding bowler since he's been BD's only real hope for wickets for most of his career, but for most of his career he's been expected to bowl the bulk of overs and limit the damage the batsmen can do, and that's essentially a holding bowler. Only since Mehdi and Fizz have emerged have we seen him actively switch between the roles of holding bowler and strike bowler depending on what the team needs. Rest of his career he's been some weird mash up of both.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information