• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will we ever see a pure wicket-keeper selected to play tests for Australia again?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
he was a great keeper and a great character but yeah his batting average was lower than his peers, which is the only reason i brought him up
Except it really wasn't that bad. For the majority of his career, the so-called batsman-keeper averaged about 3 or 4 more than Jack did whilst not being half the keeper Jack was.

JBMAC

State Captain
If you are looking for "the greatest" keeper who could not bat then you are talking about Don Tallon. .....and I do not anticipate we will see his likes again because of the way the game has evolved. It appears to have become a prerequisite for the selectors to select a Batsman/Stumper than the other way around

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah Bradman picked Tallon in his team of the century, chosen in 2000. It was a pretty boring list, like 8 of the 12 players were from the bradman's era(a big era but still)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
yeah Bradman picked Tallon in his team of the century, chosen in 2000. It was a pretty boring list, like 8 of the 12 players were from the bradman's era(a big era but still)
Bradman had

A.Morris
B.Richards
D.Bradman
S.Tendulkar
G.Sobers
D.Tallon
R.Lindwall
D.Lillee
A.Bedser
B.O'Reilly
C.Grimmett

Such an odd team that could have been improved markedly by replacing Bedser with any of Chappell, Richards, Hammond, or even Miller if he felt the need to have 6 bowlers for whatever reason. Tallon at 6 is stupid.

mr_mister

Hammond was 12th man. Lol I guessed right 8 of those 12 played with or against Bradman

and I have the book. He reckoned Tallon was better trained at keeping to that particular attack since he actually experienced Grimmett, Lindwall and O'Reilly. Pretty meta of ol' Braddy

And he really rated Lindwall's batting lol, enough to include him as a second allrounder

Lastly, it wasn't bradman's words but the authors, but since Bradman averaged double most of these guys he counted him as 'two' batsmen so felt the need to add more bowlers. But the author definitely wasn't happy with Bradman's team it seemed. Bradman demanded no argument from him over the choices though

Gilly had scored his magical 149* against Pakistan but played less than 10 tests at the time of writing. If Bradman lived to even '05 or '06 i reckon the team would be very different

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think many sides will go back to a proper keeper now. I guess the most likely will be one of the asian sides if they start producing complete bunsen burners and need a quality keeper to take the chances they may provide. Other than that only if you get a side that is like the current England side and has two all rounders in it already (would need them to be far more established than just potential though) and Buttler got injured but then we'd pick Bairstow anyway.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hammond was 12th man. Lol I guessed right 8 of those 12 played with or against Bradman

and I have the book. He reckoned Tallon was better trained at keeping to that particular attack since he actually experienced Grimmett, Lindwall and O'Reilly. Pretty meta of ol' Braddy

And he really rated Lindwall's batting lol, enough to include him as a second allrounder

Lastly, it wasn't bradman's words but the authors, but since Bradman averaged double most of these guys he counted him as 'two' batsmen so felt the need to add more bowlers. But the author definitely wasn't happy with Bradman's team it seemed. Bradman demanded no argument from him over the choices though

Gilly had scored his magical 149* against Pakistan but played less than 10 tests at the time of writing. If Bradman lived to even '05 or '06 i reckon the team would be very different
Presumably it was called "Team of the Century" for a reason. Namely it was a team based on performances in the 20th Century. Even if Bradman had discovered the secret of eternal life it doesn't mean Gilchrist, or anyone else who peaked in the 21st Century, is going to be included.

mr_mister

it was actually just his meant to be his all time best team not really a team of the century... however it turned out that way. I was wrong when referring to it as such earlier

harsh.ag

Nah he just hated Miller and all English players. Only the magnificent Bedser gets in. Was looking for any excuse to leave out Englishmen. Pretty sure that's why he created the myth of "he looks like me when he bats" Tendulkar :ph34r:

mr_mister

haha, but didnt he also hate bill o'reilly? still threw him in over warne who grovelled at his feet during his last few years, requesting private tea parties in bradman's backyard and stuff

harsh.ag

haha, but didnt he also hate bill o'reilly? still threw him in over warne who grovelled at his feet during his last few years, requesting private tea parties in bradman's backyard and stuff
The one he picked over Warne was Grimmett. It was a shoot out between Barnes and O'Reilly for that spot, and as much as he hated the latter, it was basically "Oz before Hoes"