• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Longer Test Careers

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Have been thinking about this thread for a bit.

Which players should have played far more test cricket than they did? What would their test careers have ended up like, had they got to play more tests?

I am more keen on the obscure names here and names who missed out because of selection issues or not getting a chance in the first XI for various reasons. Two spinners from India, for instance - Padmakar Shivalkar and Rajinder Goel took a lot of wickets in the domestic circuit but never got to play for India. Murali Kartik and Aakash Chopra could possibly have had better careers too.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
probably goes against your second paragraph but Damian Fleming. Very good average and pretty much had 2 test hattricks if not for Warne dropping a sitter. Also took 30 wickets in the summer of '99 against the likes of Inzie, Anwar, Youhana, Tendulkar Dravid and Laxman

Flem274*

123/5
Stewie Dempster, Jack Cowie and Martin Donnelly.

Then of course guys who get injured all the time like Harris, Shoaib and Bond.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Players who tore it up domestically, but were prematurely dropped on a few bad performances in tests.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Wayne Daniel is the ultimate example. Far better bowler than Croft or Garner and streets ahead of others who filled in on occasions. Didn't play because of a personal grudge held by Clive Lloyd.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What about Bevan? I had heard at the time that he had improved his game v the short ball domestically after being dropped.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Utpal Chatterjee should have played many more test matches than Venkatapathy Raju. Chatterjee was a much better bowler, much better batsman and much better fielder than Raju.

Raju had the backing of captain Azharuddin, maybe as a result of being from the same Ranji team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Raju was stupendous in India really. Picked up 71 wickets @ 24. He didn't do well outside the subcontinent but not many Indian bowlers did back in the 90s. Between 1990 and 1995, Raju took 63 wickets at 20.4 in fact. He was a big part of why India dominated at home so much in that period. Azhar knew how to use him.

Chaterjee suffered because of regional selection biases. Till Dalmiya reached the helm, players from Bengal hardly got a run. And even when they did, they hardly got a decent run.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was always surprised Bumble played so little international cricket. I remember thinking yeah David Lloyd was one of the greats of that time like Boycott and Botham

Guess I just assumed he was an ATG coz he was a commentator