• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank Australia's quicks- post war

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Just a bit of pre Ashes frippery considering Rhino's retirement. I'm only considering post war bowlers but others can do as they please:

McGrath
Lillee
Lindwall
Davidson
Gillespie
Miller
Johnston
Thomson
Harris
McDermott
Johnson
Reid
McKenzie

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** me that's a decent list - we've done well to win as many Ashes series as we have - wouldn't presume to try and rank them but will do a Goughy and suggest a few others who deserve an honourable mention, Geoff Lawson, Neil Hawke, Stuart Clark and Brett Lee

Red

Forgot Lee tbh. Not exactly sure where to slot him in. Merv a decent call too.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
**** me that's a decent list - we've done well to win as many Ashes series as we have - wouldn't presume to try and rank them but will do a Goughy and suggest a few others who deserve an honourable mention, Geoff Lawson, Neil Hawke, Stuart Clark and Brett Lee
Forgot Lee tbh. Not exactly sure where to slot him in. Merv a decent call too.
And given the Ashes havoc he wrought (twice), I'd give Alderman a shout as well.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have no idea how to definitely rank a list with so many good quicks but, although popular on CW.net, I don't believe it's an inarguable fact that Lillee should be ranked below McG. McG had is own season-ending injuries, sure, but considering the state of medical science at the time, that Lillee came back to play at all let alone bowl as well as he did post-injury give him a lot of points for adaptability in my book. Can barely think of anyone who's had to so fundamentally re-tool how they do their business and come back so well.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath
Lillee
Davidson
Lindwall
Miller
McDermott
Thomson
Johnston
Gillespie
McKenzie
Harris
Johnson
Reid
Lee
Hughes

Red

feel Bill Johnston might be the most underrated Australian cricketer of all time.

Red

^ that's not in reference to weldones post, just a broad observation

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Absolutely TopCat, Lillee also was rated so highly during both sides of that injury. His pace dropped but he was still asking questions of batsmen.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Assuming only Ashes bowling is being considered, there is no way Lee should be mentioned. He would have played around 15-20 matches against England, and the only 2 I can remember him having any sort of impact with the ball in were at the MCG & SCG in the 06/07 series. Apart from that, he was ordinary against England, and I'd be surprised if his record against the Poms wasn't one of/the worst of his career.

Spark

Global Moderator
Assuming only Ashes bowling is being considered, there is no way Lee should be mentioned. He would have played around 15-20 matches against England, and the only 2 I can remember him having any sort of impact with the ball in were at the MCG & SCG in the 06/07 series. Apart from that, he was ordinary against England, and I'd be surprised if his record against the Poms wasn't one of/the worst of his career.
I'm impressed you even remembered that, those two Tests were some of the most facile I've ever seen.