• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank Australia's quicks- post war

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If you want someone to bowl under misty grey skies at Lords on a wicket with a bit of grass on it you could do worse than Bob Massie.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Someone should do a battle including all fast bowlers since the War (or even in the last x amount of years) Need to see who everyone rates more out of for example Jo Angel vs Brendon Julian, Matthew Nicholson or Adam Dale, Greg Campbell or Scott Muller etc etc

JBMAC

State Captain
Well I am one of the few who both played with and against JT and let me tell you he was quick. Not as fats as Wes Hall but more erratic. When he first came up to QLD from NSW he was quick BUT in his own words he could not guarantee where the ball would go. As a batsman facing him you had to try and "guess" where it could go. If you were fortunate enough to survive the initial onslaught you could guesstimate where the ball would go because his body had certain "Tells"....eg if you saw his arm go further back in the slingy action you knew (well 6/10 times) the ball would rise quicker. He was a great team man.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Well I am one of the few who both played with and against JT and let me tell you he was quick. Not as fats as Wes Hall but more erratic. When he first came up to QLD from NSW he was quick BUT in his own words he could not guarantee where the ball would go. As a batsman facing him you had to try and "guess" where it could go. If you were fortunate enough to survive the initial onslaught you could guesstimate where the ball would go because his body had certain "Tells"....eg if you saw his arm go further back in the slingy action you knew (well 6/10 times) the ball would rise quicker. He was a great team man.
I'm not sure if you're identity is known on CW or not, but were you a keeper? I'd love to hear about it if you'd kept to Thommo.

I recall Benaud saying that he felt Frank Tyson was marginally quicker than Hall and Thommo.

I'd imagine Thomson must've been the worst guy to face in the nets!

Flametree

International 12th Man
McGrath
Lillee
Davidson
Lindwall
Miller
W Johnston
Thomson
Clark
Harris
Reid
Gillespie
M Johnston
McDermott
Alderman
McKenzie
Hogg
Hughes
Lee
Fleming
Lawson
Siddle
Reiffel
Walker
Hilfenhaus
Bichel

I am assuming war mean World War II.
Bichel??? Ahead of Hawke, Connolly, Pascoe, Hurst, Dymock, Gilmour, Wayne Clark, Ron Archer, Kasprowicz....... and surely Toshack should be fairly well up this list.