• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ryan Harris retires with immediate effect

adub

International Captain
I don't think there really is that much argument on where Rhino sits. Of post-Lillee quicks for Australia it's McGrath, Harris, and then argue over Billy, Dizzy, Reid or MJ for first change. He was just that good. If his body had allowed him to play every test since his debut then the order of the first two might have even come up for debate.

Midwinter

State Captain
Have been an admirer of the way Harris played the game.

From when he bowled his first ball in a test match he looked like he belonged there.
He gave Australia the stable foundation needed to rebuild the team.

Bugger

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I don't think there really is that much argument on where Rhino sits. Of post-Lillee quicks for Australia it's McGrath, Harris, and then argue over Billy, Dizzy, Reid or MJ for first change. He was just that good. If his body had allowed him to play every test since his debut then the order of the first two might have even come up for debate.

Should be forgotten how good Dizzy was in his prime. There was a (brief) period when he was the best bowler in a team containing McWarne.

adub

International Captain
Dizzy was great, but not Harris great. That's not a criticism of Diz. Harris was just a monster though. It's not just the willpower of Harris. The guy could seriously make the ball talk and was a threat in all conditions. What he woulda done with actual knees is frightening to contemplate.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I mentioned Alderman earlier who was a beast in England. Harris just turned up and asked hard questions on every surface. That's just quality.

Was looking forward to seeing him at Edgebaston.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Goddamn, apparently he broke his tibia due to the lack of cushioning from his knee. It must have been painful to keep on grinding your leg onto the turf.

What an absolute champion he is.

adub

International Captain
Goddamn, apparently he broke his tibia due to the lack of cushioning from his knee. It must have been painful to keep on grinding your leg onto the turf.

What an absolute champion he is.
"Yeah, my knee is a bit sore today, bit of ice and we'll be good to go..."

R Harris almost every day.

Antihippy

International Debutant
For me personally, Harris's legacy is that he's exactly the sort of man I hope to be. Just bowl your heart out. Endure the difficulties and work hard to do the thing you love the most.

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
Can anyone find the ball that got Steyn in Cape Town? I've seen that ball 100 times and still have no idea what happened to it or how it hit the stumps. That performance in Cape Town will go down as my all time favourite performance with the ball, I think. It was 3am in Sydney and I was almost certain I was going to bed with a draw but Harris just took it to super human levels and bowled Australia to victory. A champion, really.

Flem274*

123/5
Harris might not be "greater" than a McGrath or a Steyn but in terms of "best" i.e. what he sent down when he was fit, he's in their company.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
One of the great late bloomer/underdog stories. From 110kph club trundler to winning test matches for his country while getting into his 30s.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Another great bowler whose career was short changed by injury. The list grows long.

It's a pity his body couldn't hold out for one last ashes series, for himself, the fans and the game.

I wonder what his plans are for the future. Coaching? Media?
He'd do well as a bowling coach. Imagine if he and Bond opened an academy...

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'm still laughing at "kiwidictator" and "Captain Hindsight." Would have done a Bond vs. Harris comparison were it not for this.

Debris

International 12th Man
Brilliant figures. Harris never missed a beat.

Tests = 27
Wickets = 113
Average = 23.52
Strike Rate = 50.7
Economy Rate = 2.78

Batting Average = 21.53 with 3 x 50s
His stats are remarkably similar to another Australian fast bowler who I thought could have been an ATG if not for crippling injuries, Bruce Reid.

Just for comparison:

Tests = 27
Wickets = 113
Average = 24.63
Strike Rate = 55.2
Economy Rate = 2.67

And I already get weird looks when I mention Reid as a great fast bowler.