• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ryan Harris retires with immediate effect

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Genuinely beautiful career and bloke. Was over-the-moon when he jagged a ODI so everything after that was gravy. Sensational effort to play as many as he did let alone dominate.

"I know when I left South Australia, Ian McLachlan said it wasn't a big loss, I only took 37 wickets. Whether or not they were happy to see me go, who cares. History shows it was probably a mistake for them" ~ Ryan Harris.

So much legendary in this man.
#never4give

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Very sad to hear this. Would have loved to see him play against Pak (he probably would have destroyed us). Don't think he has ever played against Pak.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, sad news indeed.

Pretty sure its a Burgey line, but if he ever gets a full knee replacement, the natural one ought to be displayed in the National Museum. Give the man a ****ing Knighthood.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I was hoping he'd end up playing the end of this series, for selfish reasons, just wanted to see him play more. At least we've got the memories and YouTube I guess

BeeGee

International Captain
Another great bowler whose career was short changed by injury. The list grows long.

It's a pity his body couldn't hold out for one last ashes series, for himself, the fans and the game.

I wonder what his plans are for the future. Coaching? Media?

Last edited:

Burgey

This bloke was a truly elite bowler. Hard to say an atg because injury crueled his longevity. Only 25 tests, but fmd he was an absolute gun. I know Johnson tore it up in the last home Ashes, but Harris was the best Australian bowler of his time, and by a fair margin. Good wheels, immaculate control, and always asked questions of the batsmen. Up til his retirement I'd have had only Steyn ahead of him of current quicks.

It was sad seeing him at the ground today. I think he may have been chatting with a family member next to the pavilion and you could see he was really downcast. He'll be missed, and the Ashes just got very, very interesting.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Was at Canterbury to see his last game against Kent and was very disappointed when he got Bell-Drummond out in the second innings, typical of him getting an English opener out lbw, he also bowled the most overs in that second innings which probably wouldn't have made a difference but just shows how he gets his head down and gets on with the job despite all the pain he's going through, even in a warm up game. It was an honour to see him bowl.

imgo (12).jpg

Sam Northeast asking me for a photo and batting tips :thumbup1:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
less than a year younger than Simon Jones - now there's a sobering thought ......................

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'm just gutted for him. Loved watching him bowl. What a gun. Heart like Merv with a much superior toolset. I honestly didn't give England a chance with a fit Harris.

I started watching cricket in 88 and I'll leave talk of his AtG place to others. What I will say is I think he's in the Aus XI team from my time watching. McGrath is always first but Harris is right up there on that next level with Billy for me.

Antihippy

International Debutant
I'm actually surprised how gutted I still am from this.

My favourite bowler of this generation and he doesn't deserve to go out like this at all.

flibbertyjibber

It was sad seeing him at the ground today. I think he may have been chatting with a family member next to the pavilion and you could see he was really downcast. He'll be missed, and the Ashes just got very, very interesting.
It is certainly a boost to our chances, not that we'd want it in this way.

As my old man said in a text when the news broke, "Is this their new McGrath?" Only time will tell on that one.

Burgey

I'm just gutted for him. Loved watching him bowl. What a gun. Heart like Merv with a much superior toolset. I honestly didn't give England a chance with a fit Harris.

I started watching cricket in 88 and I'll leave talk of his AtG place to others. What I will say is I think he's in the Aus XI team from my time watching. McGrath is always first but Harris is right up there on that next level with Billy for me.
I think Harris was sgnificantly better than McDermott tbh, though the latter's longevity works in his favour and he led the attack as the team came out of the wilderness on its way to number one, so he gets points for that. I think Harris was better than Gillespie too, though it's a lot closer.