• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ryan Harris retires with immediate effect

adub

International Captain
You just know in 20 years or so us old buggers will be going on about how absolutely immense this guy Ryan Harris was, and young guys will be going what are you talking about Grandad. He only played 27 tests, only took 113 wickets. Spent most of the time injured. What about such and such with so many more wickets, so much better than that crock Harris they'll say, and they'll never know how wrong they are.

It's been our good fortune to have had the chance to enjoy his career because unless you saw it you won't appreciate just how great it was.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Pleased that he will be remembered amongst a good peer group by getting over 100 wickets at a low average.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Devastating news. Australian supporters should count themselves blessed for every test he's managed to play with that body of his.

Cape Town and that nut to Cook will be stuff of legend, hell his entire career.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow. Am cut :(

A true inspiration to all of us. Utter, utter gem, and I am grateful for having him in our side.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Goddamn. This made me even angrier at the selectors not giving him the west indies.

One of the all time classics though. Cricket will be poorer.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's awful news for cricket. Rhino was one of those chaps who absolutely everyone warmed to. Looked like your dad's mate whose physique had long since succomb to the beer and fags, but that belies the hard work he must've put in just to fetch up on the paddock.

Always gave of his best, no matter what effect it had on those perma-buggered knees. Bowling genuinely quick hurts, but for him it must've been borerline agony.

Top performer. I think the fact he took the majority (I think) of his wickets against England will mean he'll be more than just a footnote in posterity. Frank Tyson took even fewer and his name still resonates.

Well played, big man.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
[video]http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid3944763523001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAu-f-8Kk~,XmIdfJLsQzC3w5TzzwsCGgJ9yfsymPdw&bctid=3962081629001[/video]

Mandatory viewing. Had the heart of a tiger.

indiaholic

International Captain
This sucks. Loved the man. Now I genuinely hate the selectors for saving him for one last Ashes.. When you have an injury that can go bad so soon,you allow him to play every match he can.

Zinzan

Huge blow for Australia's Ashes campaign and the end of a wonderful, if not a slightly stop/start career.

Top bloke to boot.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
almost don't feel like watching the ashes now.obviously i will but yeah this sucks

hopefully we will see him as a coach, think he'll do well

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You just know in 20 years or so us old buggers will be going on about how absolutely immense this guy Ryan Harris was, and young guys will be going what are you talking about Grandad. He only played 27 tests, only took 113 wickets. Spent most of the time injured. What about such and such with so many more wickets, so much better than that crock Harris they'll say, and they'll never know how wrong they are.

It's been our good fortune to have had the chance to enjoy his career because unless you saw it you won't appreciate just how great it was.
Agree with this. Similar to Bruce Reid.. Actually their stats are almost identical.

Zinzan

Gone after only 27 tests :(

However it makes the Ashes more exciting!
Interesting to see he finishes up with 113 wickets from 27 tests which is exactly the same as Bruce Reid. Both would have achieved so much more if it weren't for injuries.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lel now Cowan reveals he had food poisoning during Barbados test of the 2012 West Indies tour.

I wonder how much more suffering this man had to go through.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
"I know when I left South Australia, Ian McLachlan said it wasn't a big loss, I only took 37 wickets. Whether or not they were happy to see me go, who cares. History shows it was probably a mistake for them" ~ Ryan Harris.

So much legendary in this man.