• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Cricinfo in cahoots with ICC?

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Any time I want to publish a comment critical of the ICC it never gets published but all my other comments are. For example, I criticised ICC's decision to reduce the World Cup to 10 teams and suggested that it (ICC) was possibly a corrupt organisation and that the treat of rebel leagues popping up in recent months was probably a good idea because the game's governing body was taking cricket fans for granted.

I do wonder if Cricinfo has a revenue partnership deal with ICC. I know they are owned by Disney through their ESPN network but ICC would have a stake in the success of Cricnfo as well as it is the home of the game on the web, an amazing resource for fans. I really can't see how Cricinfo would be profitable as their revenues should be far outweighed by costs. I can't imagine Cricinfo's many writers, reporters, statisticans, scorers, video editors, software engineers, etc are doing their work volunteraliy, and the cost of servers will be quite substantial given the popularity of the site. Disney might burden some of the costs to expand their global sport profile, but if it is as expensive to run as I think it is and their revenues fairly limited, who funds the continuation of it? Disney? As far as I remember, a few years back it was in danger of going offline before a last minute deal.

Cricinfo should be independent of the ICC.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
When the big three thing happened, Cricinfo was quite critical of the move. I doubt this conspiracy theory of Cricinfo being in cahoots with the ICC is true. When there are comments like 'ICC is corrupt', it can land itself in a legal mess, so wouldn't surprise me if they monitor comments. While there are many things to dislike about Cricinfo, it is still one of the better popular cricket sites going around.

cnerd123

likes this
Also if Cricinfo pisses off the ICC too much they can kiss the rights to cover future ICC events goodbye.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
I'm pretty sure Cricinfo isn't in cahoots with the ICC. The ICC is too dim-witted / weak for many of the conspiracy stories there are floating around.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Any time I want to publish a comment critical of the ICC it never gets published but all my other comments are. For example, I criticised ICC's decision to reduce the World Cup to 10 teams and suggested that it (ICC) was possibly a corrupt organisation and that the treat of rebel leagues popping up in recent months was probably a good idea because the game's governing body was taking cricket fans for granted.

I do wonder if Cricinfo has a revenue partnership deal with ICC. I know they are owned by Disney through their ESPN network but ICC would have a stake in the success of Cricnfo as well as it is the home of the game on the web, an amazing resource for fans. I really can't see how Cricinfo would be profitable as their revenues should be far outweighed by costs. I can't imagine Cricinfo's many writers, reporters, statisticans, scorers, video editors, software engineers, etc are doing their work volunteraliy, and the cost of servers will be quite substantial given the popularity of the site. Disney might burden some of the costs to expand their global sport profile, but if it is as expensive to run as I think it is and their revenues fairly limited, who funds the continuation of it? Disney? As far as I remember, a few years back it was in danger of going offline before a last minute deal.

Cricinfo should be independent of the ICC.

Yeah that might be the issue, more than any sort of ICC-Cricinfo conspiracy. Various issues to do with Cricinfo's liability for its comments and defamation law could come into it, so anything involving claims of corruption or wrongdoing aren't exactly likely to be let through.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At first, I didn't see the 'a' in 'cahoots' and was nodding vehemently in agreement.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
Is Cricinfo in cahoots with James Anderson?

Why does this error happen / how can I get accurate right vs left hander stats?

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 2.44.08 pm.png