• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asia XI vs ROW XI for the last 25 years. Who wins a test series?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oceania

Hayden
Warner
Ponting
Clarke
Steve Waugh
Smith
Gilchrist
Cairns
Vettori
Warne
McGrath

12th man Martyn/Mark Waugh/Slater/Taylor/Langer/Hussey/Williamson..... so many batsmen unlucky to miss out... also sorry to New Zealand's top order batsmen for kind of ditching them. This team is close to unbeatable, keeping in mind Steve Waugh took nearly 100 wickets as well
Jeeze, has Smith done enough to be better than the great M D Crowe already? And what's worse, he didn't even make your 12th man. People often forget the era Crowe played in. He was basically the best test bat in the world in the 10 year period between 1985-1995. Not sure many would say the likes of Martyn, Slater, Taylor, Langer were better batsmen than him, but perhaps I'm biased.

Also, surely you'd want the likes of Gillespie, Lee, S Clark, Rhino or even Bond to share the new ball with McGrath ahead of Vettori given you already have the best leg-spinner of all time in there.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And would be strengthened by the addition of Boult or possibly Williamson. Not by Vettori.

I rate Steve Smith, but his West Indian and Indian runs at home form a lot of his #1 status at the moment. Needs to do a bit more before making that team ahead of the likes of Hussey.

Younis Khan as 12th man behind Jayawardene and Jayasuriya? C'mon.
If only Smith had gone to South Africa and averaged in excess of 60. Maybe people would rate him then.

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
Jeeze, has Smith done enough to be better than the great M D Crowe already? And what's worse, he didn't even make your 12th man. People often forget the era Crowe played in. He was basically the best test bat in the world in the 10 year period between 1985-1995. Not sure many would say the likes of Martyn, Slater, Taylor, Langer were better batsmen than him, but perhaps I'm biased.

Also, surely you'd want the likes of Gillespie, Lee, S Clark, Rhino or even Bond to share the new ball with McGrath ahead of Vettori given you already have the best leg-spinner of all time in there.
First you don't think Smith has done enough to get a spot and then you go an call him the best leg spinner of all time. Make up ya mind, mate.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I had Dizzy in there but thought I'd give Cairns a go so it wasn't an all-aussie-adventure. Vettori averaged 30 with the bat and took 362 wickets pretty invaluable to any team IMO IMO IMO

as for poor old Crowe well I just had him in my mind as a player from the era gone by, he did start playing first class cricket in '79

Zinzan

I had Dizzy in there but thought I'd give Cairns a go so it wasn't an all-aussie-adventure. Vettori averaged 30 with the bat and took 362 wickets pretty invaluable to any team IMO IMO IMO

as for poor old Crowe well I just had him in my mind as a player from the era gone by, he did start playing first class cricket in '79
Oh you meant FC debut and not test. I stand to be corrected, but pretty sure Crowe's FC debut was in 1980 as a 17 year old (in spite of it being season 79-80)

Zinzan

Try:

Langer
Warner
Ponting
Crowe
Clarke
S.Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
Bond
McGrath
That looks better, not that there's much between Langer & Haydos, (probably prefer Langer on a green deck), but loving that bowling attack.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That looks better, not that there's much between Langer & Haydos, (probably prefer Langer on a green deck), but loving that bowling attack.
Yeh, would go with Hayden in the subcontinent.

Gob

International Coach
ROW

Smith
Hayden
Ponting
Kallis
Lara
Waugh SR
Gilchrist+
Warne
Steyn
Ambrose
McGrath

Asia

Sehwag
Anwar
Dravid
Tendulkar
Inzimam
Sangakkara+
Akram
Waqar
Akthar
Asif
Murali

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Try:

Langer
Warner
Ponting
Crowe
Clarke
S.Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
Bond
McGrath
Yeh, would go with Hayden in the subcontinent.
So Warner is the lock and it's down to which of Hayden or Langer gets a gig alongside him? I'd have to say I'm a long way from agreeing with that just yet, for all Warner's excellence.

Zinzan

So Warner is the lock and it's down to which of Hayden or Langer gets a gig alongside him? I'd have to say I'm a long way from agreeing with that just yet, for all Warner's excellence.
On 2nd thoughts, that's a fair call. I really didn't give that enough thought. You're right, both Langer and Hayden would still shade Warner.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Akram could bat a little bit
yeah and he's batting at 7 in that team is he he not.

You know what after just watching the ashes 94/95 series on youtube, get rid of Warner and replace him with him Slater. The original dashing opener

Flametree

International 12th Man
Think Jamie How and Blair Pocock are unlucky not to be in the discussion myself....

Genuine left field pick - Steve Tikolo for the Africa team?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Oceania XI:

1. Langer
2. Hayden
3. Williamson
4. Ponting
5. Crowe
6. S. Waugh
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Bond
10. Boult
11. McGrath

Gob

International Coach
Oceania XI:

1. Langer
2. Hayden
3. Williamson
4. Ponting
5. Crowe
6. S. Waugh
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Bond
10. Boult
11. McGrath
there were at least five aust batsmen who are so much better than kane williamson from the past 25 years and at least another five who are slightly better than him and lol at kane batting at 3 in a team that has ricky ponting in it.

my oceania xi

langer
hayden
ponting
hussey
clarke
s waugh
gilchrist
warne
johnson
gillespie
mcgrath