• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Video Analysis of me.. Help please?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
OK, not the greatest video - but I'm trying to make a few modifications of my own bowling action to try to bowl outswingers - have got 4 weeks to sort these before my Level II Coaching Exam.

I know my front foot impact is too far across the body which results in toe-to-toe alignment pointing at fine leg - but it's getting better.

Any other comments, guys?

http://gosh.ex.ac.uk/~nsp201/outswing.mov

(1.6MB QuickTime Movie)

Last edited:

twctopcat

International Regular
Hmmm, blatant chucker if u ask me:D . Nothing constructive from me, though i'll go and get den's number.

twctopcat

International Regular
Just wondering neil if you play for the exeter university team? I've got a couple of mates who play in the seconds, they could prob help you a little bit if you need it. Technique seems good anyway, and i suppose your the only one whos knows the results of it!

twctopcat

International Regular
Do you bowl a bit of leg as well? Or shall we call them lobbing grenades????? My mate recognises you from the video, small world! As for technique try to hide the ball more at the top(biting the apple), stand more upright, keeping your balance and making it more consistent. Half way though the video when your hand is about to release your leaning quite a bit. Head still and body upright, hope this helps.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I go to the nets, anyway. I've been bowling leggies since I was 7 - grenades is a fairly apt description, though I prefer to think of it as "deception via flight".

Cheers for the comments, I reckon that both of them are caused by that front leg alignment meaning that I have to lean back to keep my body straight and remain balanced. I'm improving, it was chronic not so long ago!

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
I go to the nets, anyway. I've been bowling leggies since I was 7 - grenades is a fairly apt description, though I prefer to think of it as "deception via flight".

Cheers for the comments, I reckon that both of them are caused by that front leg alignment meaning that I have to lean back to keep my body straight and remain balanced. I'm improving, it was chronic not so long ago!
Was only being picky, overall it looks OK. If you do the nets on saturday and there is someone with an overly keen interest in your action i appologise, most prob my mate!

Swervy

International Captain
had a look at your action...I think it is all pretty much in order.....just as you pull back you right arm, it looks fairly similar to Waqars..which isnt a bad thing. One thing I have noticed though, your left shoulder does seem to drop a bit early,as your bowling arm is about to reach the perpendicular.The picture is a bit dark to tell properly, but you might be losing a bit of power at that moment,and maybe also that might take away some of the abilty to generate outswing( the action, despite being nicely side on, does look more of an inswinging action to me).

I dont know...looks a pretty smooth action though. I am no expert but I hope it helps

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Swervy said:
had a look at your action...I think it is all pretty much in order.....just as you pull back you right arm, it looks fairly similar to Waqars..which isnt a bad thing.
I expected a few comments, that wasn't one of them! :)

One thing I have noticed though, your left shoulder does seem to drop a bit early,as your bowling arm is about to reach the perpendicular.The picture is a bit dark to tell properly, but you might be losing a bit of power at that moment,and maybe also that might take away some of the abilty to generate outswing( the action, despite being nicely side on, does look more of an inswinging action to me).

I dont know...looks a pretty smooth action though. I am no expert but I hope it helps
I guess the left arm isn't as forceful as it might be - 10 years of leggies must do that to someone!

When I just bowl standard medium pace, I tend to swing it in (a little), so I guess that might be a factor in its looking like an inswinger's action.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
you might wanna bring the bowling hand across more to get more of an arch action, jumping a bit more might also help with air movement...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
helps if you look where you bowl ;)

keep you head still - improves accuracy - you looked away a little.

something about your action doesn't quite seem right, cant pick it though, its probably because your inside etc...

the important stuff for bowling outswing - i think i posted something in the "i suck" thread in the off topic forum. but the seam being upright and ripping it back as you release the ball are important.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Your leggies looked OK to me on Thurs...
Certainly not as bad as you insist to everyone who'll listen that they are.
And you hit more than I did with the bat!
If you want to get the outswing going, meanwhile, just copy my action :D - that's the one thing I can do. If you can remember what it looks like.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Your leggies looked OK to me on Thurs...
Certainly not as bad as you insist to everyone who'll listen that they are.
And you hit more than I did with the bat!
If you want to get the outswing going, meanwhile, just copy my action :D - that's the one thing I can do. If you can remember what it looks like.
Didn't realise half of the cw forum lived in exeter, this is spooky!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
After two long and increasingly painful hours of net practice this morning, I can now swing the thing both ways (and more than anyone else who was bowling, according to one guy who was batting).

However, I have a huge problem with accuracy, everything is down leg. Managed to bowl someone off stump with a rather nice inswinger from around the wicket, though :)

Practice will make almost-competent, eventually...