• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-rounders with equal bowling/batting skill?

Easily his best series is the India-Pakistan 1982/83 series. 6 tests, 40 wickets @ 13.95 (awesome of course), 247 runs @ 61.75. He batted just 5 times in those 6 tests(!), scoring a century (117) and mostly 30s and 40s.

Second best series, again, India-Pakistan 1989/90 series. 4 tests, 13 wickets @ 38.76, 262 runs @ 87.33. A hundred, scores of 66 as well. Just 5 innings batted, one of them a 20 odd not out.

Third best, England-Pak 1987 series. 5 tests, 21 wickets @ 21.66, 191 runs @ 47.75. A hundred. 5 innings only.

That's pretty much it.
Pakistan in England 1982... 53 with the bat, 18 with the ball... You have been incredibly selective...

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pakistan in England 1982... 53 with the bat, 18 with the ball... You have been incredibly selective...

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
Nope I haven't. Averages don't tell the whole story. Looking at it more closely, high score of 67 in 5 innings. His 1987 England performance was way better.

There are many examples in that list where the averages are awesome, but Imran hasn't performed great with one of bat or ball. Like West Indies 1990/91 series. Average of 13 with the ball, but with only 4 wickets in 3 tests, it doesn't count.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope I haven't. Averages don't tell the whole story. Looking at it more closely, high score of 67 in 5 innings. His 1987 England performance was way better.
So 212 runs in 3 tests isn't enough because he needs to get bigger scores? :laugh:

There's no pleasing you. Basically he needs to have a high average+multiple big scores+needs to have played lots of innings +needs to take bags of wickets and multiple 5-fors. No one can do that. He's not superman, although smali would disagree.

harsh.ag

So 212 runs in 3 tests isn't enough because he needs to get bigger scores? :laugh:

There's no pleasing you. Basically he needs to have a high average+multiple big scores+needs to have played lots of innings +needs to take bags of wickets and multiple 5-fors. No one can do that. He's not superman, although smali would disagree.
Dude I listed 3 of the series where I feel he performed admirably. So clearly there is pleasing me :happy:

Out of these 5, "high average+multiple big scores+needs to have played lots of innings +needs to take bags of wickets and multiple 5-fors", I just need No. 2 and No. 4

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Saying this again and again won't make it true. Of course Imran had multiple series where he did perform with bat and ball at the same time. You just choose to ignore them.
Nope, when he took a lot of wickets in a series he barely batted, when he scored a lot of runs, he barely bowled.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always hated that when people split up Imran's career into that section where he averaged 50, because it is genuinely misleading. If I was looking for a a batsman out of the all rounder quartet, I'd take Botham. A bowler, Hadlee. Someone to dominate with both bat and ball? Botham. imo Kapil and Imran are not that far apart as batsmen.

Last edited:
I've always hated that when people split up Imran's career into that section where he averaged 50, because it is genuinely misleading. If I was looking for a a batsman out of the all rounder quartet, I'd take Botham. A bowler, Hadlee. Someone to dominate with both bat and ball? Botham. imo Kapil and Imran are not that far apart as batsmen.
Yeah. Id take Imran any day of the week - and twice on Saturdays as an allrounder. Hadlee maybe edges him if I wanted a bowler solely.

Botham wouldn't make an ATG team (not even a 1980's one) as a batsman, bowler nor all rounder.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

It is also misleading to only think of Botham's peak when thinking about him. For his last 50 games (half of his 102 match career), he scored 3 centuries and averaged 37 with the ball.

They had their peaks at different times, just because Botham's peak came sooner does not mean he was something special.

And re Kapil's and Imran's batting, Imran ended up quite a bit better by the time he finished.

Actually you are right. The only thing was Imran became better temperament wise. Kapil was not as responsible with the bat, though I would say he had a better eye. He was a better batsman when they started out.
No he's wrong, and you were right before changing it. Imran finished a far superior batsman than Dev.

Valer

First Class Debutant
James Faulkner is probably a decent shout. Obviously this is only in LOI / FC as in his only test (so far) he was somewhat better with the ball.