• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bring on your dead

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
During a moment of acute boredom I occasionally have a totally pointless idea for a bit of research. I have to say I surpassed all expectations with this and then couldn't be bothered finding the answer.

I was wondering how far back you would have to go to find an England Test XI where more than half the team are dead.

Upon wondering how far back to start it suddenly sprang to mind that Cowdrey, Luckhurst, Titmus, Greig and Denness from the Ashes Tour of 74/75 are all gone. Only four ever played in the same side, so it's nowhere near the answer. But it was enough to give up and reach for the mogadons. :partytime

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I occasionally wonder if I could produce an England XI since I started watching the game (1971) who are no longer with us. As well as the guys you listed, Bairstow, Dilley, Woolmer and D'Oliveira sprang immediately to mind. And Wilf Slack, who died obscenely young.

That's ten. Anyone else?

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I occasionally wonder if I could produce an England XI since I started watching the game (1971) who are no longer with us. As well as the guys you listed, Bairstow, Dilley, Woolmer and D'Oliveira sprang immediately to mind. And Wilf Slack, who died obscenely young.

That's ten. Anyone else?
Depressing thread, but Ben Hollioake was the first name to come to my mind. There would have to be someone else who had more of a Test career, I would imagine.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
How on earth did I forget Ben Hollioake? Too recent, I suppose.

Another all-rounder who's no longer with us is Graham Stevenson.

And, finally, I think, Graham Roope.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

That's ten. Anyone else?
It's surprising, and perhaps gratifying, how few spring to mind. I thought of Graham Roope, Chris Balderstone and Neil Williams - their Test careers were limited.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Going back to your original question, we're probably looking at mid to late 1960s. Any team with Cowdrey, Barrington and D'Oliveira gets us half way there.

That being said, maybe one of the ROW games in 1970. IIRC Cowdrey, D'Oliveira, Luckhurst and Denness all featured. Did Greig play in one of those games as well?

Marius

International Debutant
Of the XI who played in South Africa's last Test before isolation three are dead - Eddie Barlow, Tiger Lance, and Denis Lindsay.

The first-post isolation Test XI isn't too far off - already two are dead - Hansie Cronje and Tertius Bosch.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England against the WIndies in '63 has only five survivors - Barrington, Shackleton, Lock, Titmus, Trueman and Sharpe all gone

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
England against the WIndies in '63 has only five survivors - Barrington, Shackleton, Lock, Titmus, Trueman and Sharpe all gone
The Fifth Test of that series could be the answer. I can't be arsed looking any further forward just before midnight on a Friday. 5 of those names played plus Statham instead of Titmus.

mr_mister

I loved watching Hansie bat. Such a tragedy he actually passed away after everything

and I loved Ben Hollioake too but I doubt he would have played many more tests

fredfertang

But for that accident Ben Hollioake would be 37 - he might have been captaining England on Wednesday - sobering thought

mr_mister

he was better than his brother and still very very young but his FC record wasn't that impressive. His ODI knock of 63 however was very memorable and endearing. No way would he have ever captained his country