• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I review the '96 WC-SF between AUS/WI and the '99 WC-SF between AUS/RSA-Better match?

Better match?

• Aus vs Windies '96 semi

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Aus vs RSA '99 semi

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Two of my favourite matches as a kid, I was too young for the 96 WC but my friend's dad had this match on tape. People only ever talk about the '99 SF which was awesome too but anyway I find them very hard to split as sporting events. They also have very similar scorelines, right down to the final over finishes and back n forth momentum. Also both teams had played each other in close matches earlier in the Cup

Two terrific matches, great contests between bat and ball. This is what cricket is meant to be about.

1996 SF

-Australia crumble to 4-15 to a fiery WI pace attack(consisting of Ambrose and Bishop!), losing their 4 best batsmen of the bloody decade in the process, with 2 ducks(an ugly 15 baller for Ponting), a 1 and 3(off 18 balls for SR Waugh).

-Bevan and Law scrounge together a hard fought 69 and 72 before Healy chips in with a typically ugly but effective 31 to bring Australia to 207

-Chanderpaul scores a valiant 80 combining with Lara(45) and Richardson(49) for two strong, potentially match winning partnerships. At one stage they are 2-165.

-8 wickets fall for 37 runs due to the prowess of Warne(with 4) and Fleming with help from Pidge to leave W.I 5 shy after 49.3 overs on 202

Man of the match goes to Warnie though Bevan deserved it equally as much

1999 SF

-ME Waugh falls for a duck in two successive WC semis early(after having a terrific group stage both times) but Ponting comes out guns blazing and races to 37 before Donald, eventually getting 4 wickets and Pollock with 5 tear through the top order but with less malice than the Windies did, leaving Australia at 4-68 at one stage

-SR Waugh grinds out a 56(backing up from the innings of his life, 120* the previous game) and Bevan again is the saviour with a 65(at nearly the exact same strikerate of his 96 performance) to help Australia to 213, six better than in '96

-South Africa like the Windies start off strong, putting 48 on for the first wicket before Warne strikes like a black mamba, 3 times in 6 balls to open the game up and put Australia in the box seat. Cullinan falls next not to Warne(for once) but to a run out.

- From 4-61 it looks to decidedly in Australia's favour but the all-rounders show they're worth. Kallis hits 53 and Rhodes 43 to bring the Proteas right back into it. Pollock smacks 20 off 14 balls and the man of the tournament(Man of the Year if you ask me), Lance Motherloving Kluesner waltzes out and hammers 31 in 16 balls without a false shot.

-Wickets continue to fall as Flem and McGrath again help out Warnie, and with 1 wicket needed poor, Paul Pistol spills a catch over the fench for six. Oh the humanity

- I don't need to go into too much detail of the final over as we've all seen it. 2 amazing, effortless fours that put Flem's career on the line before it, and Australia are saved by a colossal screw-up and the run out of all run outs occurs. The game ends tied on 213 after 49.4 overs, one ball than in '96. Australia advances

Man of the Match again goes to Warnie and again Bevan deserved it as much, but there's no denying Warne's second 4/fa in two straight WC semis won us the match.

Some interesting notes:

Warne got 4 wickets both times, proving he was the man in these situations. In '96 he got a wicket off his first ball, then 3 in his next spell. In '99 he got a wicket off his second ball(I think it was was his first over) and took 3 in that spell, before 1 in his second go.

Bevan helped save Australia's batting both times with a 69 and a 65 at a very similar strike rate.

Pollock with 5 wickets and a crucial 20 probably staked a claim for MOTM if SA had won, however

Kluesner got 17 wickets(4th) at 20.58, and scored 281 with the bat(6th), including 2 fifites, batting around 8 most of the tournament, at a staggering average of 140.50. They couldn't get him out all Cup

So which is better? I got a bit carried away with the second review, SA's perhaps my favourite innings to watch of all time. It had everything. But as matches I rate them both 10 out of 10.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Boo for hiding the names of Ambrose and Bishop under 'fiery WI pace attack' ;)

Both great matches, but '99 semi is my all-time favorite ODI

mr_mister

yeah I put more effort into the second match haha. It's only because I got more into it as I started writing more and more, my initial plan was to make these concise before I got carried away

no team should win from a position of 4-15 IMO

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The first spells of Ambrose and Bishop in that match are still etched in my memory....seemed like they were bowling with a vow not only to take wickets but also not to concede a single run...The Australian batsmen were like 'Please get me out of this situation'...There was absolutely no contest in the first 10-12 overs...Aussie batsmen started thinking about scoring some runs once the other bowlers came (including Walsh) and bowled some loose deliveries

mr_mister

yeah I should have put more emphasis on how destructive they were. I'm rewatching a long highlights vid now, Ambrose was such a beast

mr_mister

^lol youre the reason i got back into cricket, been watching so many of the late '90s series you posted on youtube. thanks!

Yeah, robelinda deserves recognition for his services to cricket. I wonder if in the future it will happen. (OBE, MBE - that kinda of thing - whatever Australia or the commonwealth dish out these days).

Thanks for the vids robelinda- especially the 1980/90's stuff.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Never though 96 semi was better than 99 semi but now that I think about I will have to vote 96 because Ambrose.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lara was magical in that little 45 he made... And it took a magic delivery from Steve Waugh to get him out... Looked like him and S Waugh were the only ones who knew he was bowled by that delivery. Damn, if he had stuck around a bit more, he was in some form going into the game too. If I recall correctly, Windies beat Australia in the group game before this as well to ensure their passage to the quarters after losing to Kenya and India.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Lara was magical in that little 45 he made... And it took a magic delivery from Steve Waugh to get him out... Looked like him and S Waugh were the only ones who knew he was bowled by that delivery. Damn, if he had stuck around a bit more, he was in some form going into the game too. If I recall correctly, Windies beat Australia in the group game before this as well to ensure their passage to the quarters after losing to Kenya and India.
And Lara was majestic in the QF against SA

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah... everyone remembers that, though... Think he made a very good quick 50 odd against Australia in a must win game too... Oft forgotten back then... Man he was the king of ODI batting around that time.. Amazing how relatively mediocre he became as an ODI batsman since 1997 or so...