• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZC Contracts (announced on July 1)

Offer a contract to five of the players below:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The contracted list for the last 12 months -

Corey Anderson – Northern Knights
Trent Boult – Northern Knights
Mark Craig – Otago Volts
Martin Guptill – Auckland Aces
Matt Henry – Canterbury
Tom Latham – Canterbury
Mitchell McClenaghan – Auckland Aces
Brendon McCullum – Otago Volts
Nathan McCullum – Otago Volts
Kyle Mills – Auckland Aces
Adam Milne – Central Stags
Colin Munro – Auckland Aces
Jimmy Neesham – Otago Volts
Luke Ronchi – Wellington Firebirds
Ish Sodhi – Northern Knights
Tim Southee – Northern Knights
Ross Taylor – Central Stags
Neil Wagner – Otago Volts
BJ Watling – Northern Knights
Kane Williamson – Northern Knights

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah ****, I forgot to put Santner in the poll. Any votes for Ed Nuttall count for Santner.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Duffy
Bracewell
Wagner
Elliott
McCleneghan.

Duffy being the bolter, ahead of Sodhi and Nathan McCullum. The others pretty much pick themselves having been regular features of the test/odi squads.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Howsie's been viewing this thread for about half an hour now. He's thinking about how he can participate in the poll without giving Elliott any acknowledgement of success.

Howsie

International Captain
Howsie's been viewing this thread for about half an hour now. He's thinking about how he can participate in the poll without giving Elliott any acknowledgement of success.
Haha. Elliott is okay.

For mine Nathan McCullum, Colin Munro, Ish Sodhi and Neil Wagner should all get chop. Mitchell Santner, Doug Bracewell, Grant Elliott, Ben Wheeler and probably Hamish Rutherford should all get the call ups.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd be keeping Wagner, especially since we seem obsessed with a hit the deck bowler and when Wagner is bowling well he's a match winner.

...Just try and predict when he's not going to bowl well through magic or something...

Will make my choices soon. Definitely chopping Rutherford, not because I think he has no hope but because I want him to spend a lot of time away from the test team getting better.

Flem274*

123/5
I made my calls then realised I'd dropped Mitch M, who will get in probably ahead of Brownlie or Wheeler in real life imo. I've also dropped Santner because I forgot the vote for Nutter. Grumpy will approve of the mitch dropping.

I went with Wagner, Elliott, Brownlie, Wheeler and Dougeh. I think there's merit in keeping a few old guys to smooth the transition between world cup squads and I want to keep Brownlie and as many fringe test seamers as I can in the loop.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
You can actually offer a contract to six players in the poll btw. Mills' retirement adding the extra one.

What happened to your contract for Colin Munro, that's what I want to know.
You can actually offer a contract to six players in the poll btw. Mills' retirement adding the extra one.
Ha. Munro.

If the selectors are not going to play him, then why pay him? It was hard but Santner is on the scene now. Whether he will the last 12 months - we do not know. But he gets a contract this time round.

It is far too soon to discard Wagner. Most agree on that. I'm still happy with him as third seamer in tests and do not think Bracewell or Henry have taken his spot. I still have Wagner ahead of Bracewell.

Elliot is a lock in with all his runs in ODI cricket. Wheeler is definitely in the running now and takes Doug's contract in my view.

I think that people are discarding NMac far too early. He is danger of retiring or looking overseas. He had a terrible tour of England, but has done plenty of good things for NZ. Always behind Vettori - but I appreciate Nmac's efforts in ODI cricket. I fear it could be his last contract, though and right down near the very bottom in rank.

Munro and Bennett are in line to be given a shot at various NZ levels. Bennett should have a go at McLeakingruns's spot in the ODI team, he cannot be worse, and Munro deserves more opportunities. But if they aren't playing, they shouldn't get a contract ahead of those who are. So no contract for Bennett.

Sodhi I hope will return to the mix in the future. If Munro is touring South Africa then he should probably get the bottom contract with Mills' retirement. So no contract for Sodhi - but I hope he gets given an ODI shot soon.

So the only players that I exclude that coudl cause debate are McLeakingruns and Dougie Bracewell.

McLeakingruns I hope we develop depth so that he is not needed for selection and Doug Bracewell can fight to prove his worth.

For what its worth - I have never been a fan of McLenaghan, even when his stats were far more impressive. he will probably get a contract - but if were up to me, I wouldn't give him one and just tell him that Wheeler and most certainly Henry are now ahead of him.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I made my calls then realised I'd dropped Mitch M, who will get in probably ahead of Brownlie or Wheeler in real life imo. I've also dropped Santner because I forgot the vote for Nutter. Grumpy will approve of the mitch dropping.

I went with Wagner, Elliott, Brownlie, Wheeler and Dougeh. I think there's merit in keeping a few old guys to smooth the transition between world cup squads and I want to keep Brownlie and as many fringe test seamers as I can in the loop.
I've got those four and Mcleakin runs as a fifth. I didn't actually pick him to spite Grumpy but after I ready said posters effort on this page I am quite pleased I took him.

Primarily my reason for picking McLeakin runs is that Wagner's days are done, rightly or wrongly. McLeakin still serves a purpose. When he plays in ODIs yes he is cannon fodder, but he is expendable cannon fodder and we aren't really risking a valuable bowling asset by playing him in these meaningless series. I will be quite upset if he isn't picked for the zimbabwe series.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Wagner is definitely not done. Henry did just enough to edge him as 3rd seamer imo given his obvious potential etc, but Wagner easily makes it as backup in case Henry goes on tilt.

I've got those four and Mcleakin runs as a fifth. I didn't actually pick him to spite Grumpy but after I ready said posters effort on this page I am quite pleased I took him.

Primarily my reason for picking McLeakin runs is that Wagner's days are done, rightly or wrongly. McLeakin still serves a purpose. When he plays in ODIs yes he is cannon fodder, but he is expendable cannon fodder and we aren't really risking a valuable bowling asset by playing him in these meaningless series. I will be quite upset if he isn't picked for the zimbabwe series.
I'm not spited at all. I think he will get a contract.

But I do ask you this, wouldn't you like to see Bennett be given a chance in McLeakin's spot in Zimbabwe or SA? In no way think about Bennett getting a contract. Just being given a go as an non-contracted player.

Last edited: