• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is McGrath finished?

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Glenn McGrath has all but been ruled out of the Sri Lankan Test series - have we seen the last of McGrath in Test cricket? Have we seen the last of him in all cricket? Will he retire before the end of the year?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Dingo said:
Glenn McGrath has all but been ruled out of the Sri Lankan Test series - have we seen the last of McGrath in Test cricket? Have we seen the last of him in all cricket? Will he retire before the end of the year?

Pigeon should be fit for the Zimbabwe tour. Whether he's the same force of say 2-3 years ago remains to be seen.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Is McGrath finished?

jamesryfler said:
Pigeon should be fit for the Zimbabwe tour. Whether he's the same force of say 2-3 years ago remains to be seen.
They said that he should be fit for the SL tour though...

deeps

International 12th Man
mcgrath didn't rely on pace oor nethign like that to take his wickets.....just accuracy.....so he should b able to continue that...he'll b back.....

twctopcat

International Regular
deeps said:
mcgrath didn't rely on pace oor nethign like that to take his wickets.....just accuracy.....so he should b able to continue that...he'll b back.....
I agree, it's well known how much he bowls inside himself in terms of pace, because he is able to bowl 85+, just chose not too. However he may now have to drop even further, could be looking at an australian Martin Bicknell, not that that is all bad:D .

iamdavid

International Debutant
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is McGrath finished?

Craig said:
I'm puttingh im down as a 50-50 chance.
I think thats a little optimistic , he wont have played a single days cricket since August when the team is picked , and NSW officials are now indicating that he'll play it safe & miss the rest of the season , as if he suffered a complication to this injury that would likely end his carear.

Even if he declared himself fit for Sri Lanka they wouldnt pick him , his record shows he bowls best when he's had lots of lead up work & this will be a tough tour.

To be honest Id have him at about a 2-5% chance of making the Sri Lanka trip.
A 60% chance for Zimbabwe though , despite lack of match fitness.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO McGrath's international career is over. Even if he does come back to play for Australia I don't think he will be the old McGrath we used to know. It will take time for him to regain confidence in his ankle, and to go at full pace, and he wasn't the quickest bowler before his injury.

Just be prepared for life without McGrath is all I am saying.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I don't think we will see the old McGrath until next summer. Not until he gets alot of bowling. I wonder if an English county will sign him up?

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I think that McGrath Will call it quits soon. That or he is waiting till the injury is 110% fixed...:P

Langeveldt

Soutie
Will his sad departure change the makeup of the aussie attack?? I guess we are already used to life without him.. But Bracken and Williams wont be able to fill the great mans boots IMO...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would be a shame to see him go, but it would also be a shame if he were to continue at much less than his best. I would have loved to see one more Lara/McGrath clash with both a their best. There hasn't been one since 1999.

nibbs

International Captain
hmmmmm...

I think the ACB needs to perhaps start looking towards the future. There seems to be a lot of players in Australia's line up in their early to mid 30s. Its not a problem yet, but in 5 years time where will Australian cricket be when these players start retiring.? I mean I haven't seen anything promising coming through the Australian ranks of late.