• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English County ATG Teams

91Jmay

International Coach
Sorry if this post has been done recently but couldn't find it. I will have a bash at Warwickshire's. I don't just mean on names but on their actual performances for the county. Also make it post WW2 because it's so hard to judge blokes who bowled 70 mph and took 1200 wickets.

Nick Knight
Dennis Amiss
Rohan Kanhai
Brian Lara (perhaps a dubious one, but that single season was so good surely worth it despite second season being awful)
Alvin Kallicharran
Ian Bell
Geoff Humpage
Dougie Brown
David Brown
Allan Donald
Eric Hollies

Bowlers I found it harder to pick but that is what I've got. Gladstone Small, Jon Trott, Tim Ambrose and Ashley Giles all unlucky to miss out.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you're not going to have any restrictions on overseas players you really need to find a spot for Lance Gibbs, and I'd suggest Deryck Murray would be a better bet than PC Humpage

harsh.ag

Sorry if this post has been done recently but couldn't find it. I will have a bash at Warwickshire's. I don't just mean on names but on their actual performances for the county. Also make it post WW2 because it's so hard to judge blokes who bowled 70 mph and took 1200 wickets.

Nick Knight
Dennis Amiss
Rohan Kanhai
Brian Lara (perhaps a dubious one, but that single season was so good surely worth it despite second season being awful)
Alvin Kallicharran
Ian Bell
Geoff Humpage
Dougie Brown
David Brown
Allan Donald
Eric Hollies

Bowlers I found it harder to pick but that is what I've got. Gladstone Small, Jon Trott, Tim Ambrose and Ashley Giles all unlucky to miss out.
Both of fred's suggestions, of course. Plus, Shaun Pollock and Chris Old/Heath Streak ahead of Brown & Brown maybe.

HeathDavisSpeed

Hmmm. This is a tough one really. Especially with the proliferation of overseas players over the years. Essex could have M. Waugh, Border, Salim Malik, Andy Flower etc. Personally, I think that's probably a bit of a cop out.

1. Graham Gooch
2. Alastair Cook
3. Ken McEwan
4. Nasser Hussain
5. Keith Fletcher
6. Ronnie Irani (or Trevor Bailey depending on what you want from your all-rounder)
7. James Foster (probably better overall than Brian Taylor)
8. JWHT Douglas
9. Peter Smith / Walter Mead
10. Neil Foster
11. John Lever

Obviously I could stack that middle order with overseas players, but I think it stands up well enough on its own. I've kept Ken McEwan in there as he played for a longer period than your average overseas player and is in the top run scorers list for Essex. Plenty of other options available (Barnacle Bailey being the most obvious) but plenty of middle order batsmen averaging high 30s in the 70s/80s (e.g. Doug Insole, Brian Hardie etc.)

HeathDavisSpeed

Nick Knight
Dennis Amiss
Rohan Kanhai
Alvin Kallicharran
Ian Bell
Geoff Humpage
Dougie Brown
David Brown
Allan Donald
Eric Hollies
12th Man: Trevor Penney

Dressing Room Entertainment: Paul Smith, Dermot Reeve

Reeve in particular was a pretty useful first-class all rounder, even though he annoyed the hell out of me. Inspirational captain for Warks too.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

Nick Knight
Dennis Amiss
Rohan Kanhai
Alvin Kallicharran
Ian Bell
Geoff Humpage
Dougie Brown
David Brown
Allan Donald
Eric Hollies

I know Bob Willis is a bit of a dick, but come on.................

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hutton
Sutcliffe
Boycott
Leyland
Lehmann
Hirst
Bairstow
Rhodes
Trueman
Bowes
Gough
Would all of those make a post-WW2 side? Rhodes must have been drawing his pension by then. Ditto Hirst and Sutcliffe, iirc.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
very quick somerset team. my knowledge is rusty. luckily with the legends that have had stints there, most of the team picks itself

1. tres
2. jimmy cook
3. viv richards
4. martin crowe
5. jamie hildreth (i guess many people could be picked here, but i kinda like hildreth here)
6. ian botham (all-rounder)
7. colin mccool (all-rounder/spinner)
8. craig kieswetter or the boy jos buttler (this is a huge cop-out on my part; i know nothing about somerset keepers. i could pick vic marks as another all-rounder and just find the keeper that has the most dismissals and him at 9, i guess.)
9. graham rose
10. joel garner
11. andy caddick

i guess peter roebuck, vic marks and brian close are obvious omissions, along with harold gimblett but the WW2 time limit rules him out. number 5 and number 9 were the tough ones to think about.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Can't believe i forgot Bob Willis! I didn't just want to pick overseas players so left out Pollack + Kumar + Gibbs. Humpage I kept in for his career contributions.

mr_mister

my county knowledge extends to a 98/99 (international cricket captain 2 i believe) game I played the **** out of so based on that

my favourite team from that game, surrey!

Butcher
Stewart (Captain/Keeper)
Thorpe
Ian Ward
B Hollioake
A Hollioake

um I forget the bowlers lol

god i'd give anything to play that game again

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
my county knowledge extends to a 98/99 (international cricket captain 2 i believe) game I played the **** out of so based on that

my favourite team from that game, surrey!

Butcher
Stewart (Captain/Keeper)
Thorpe
Ian Ward
B Hollioake
A Hollioake

um I forget the bowlers lol

god i'd give anything to play that game again
I remember the days of ICC 2001, where I also tended to captain Surrey, with something along the lines of this as my First XI:

1. M Carberry
2. A Stewart +
3. M Butcher
4. M Ramprakash
5. G Thorpe
6. A Brown
7. A Hollioake
8. M Bicknell
9. A Tudor
10. I Salisbury
11. Saqlain Mushtaq

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
so you're locking that in as Surrey's ATG greatest XI Dan? Piers Morgan won't be happy.

mr_mister

ah yes salisbury! he always got me wickets. and lol I remmber the bicknell brothers. that team was pretty ****ing loaded and OP for that game, I mean Stewart Thorpe and Butch were probably 3 of the top 5 batsmen in the country and they were all in one team. insanity. I assumed Surry dominated back then