Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: English County ATG Teams

Going back to Yorkshire. Post-WW2 excludes Leyland, as well as the guys mentioned earlier. Perhaps that leaves us with:

1. Hutton
    2. Boycott
    3. Vaughan
    4. Lehmann
    7. Bairstow
    8. Trueman
    9. Wardle
    10. Gough
    11. Appleyard

5 & 6 are quite tough, actually. We're probably looking at two from the great 1960's team - Close, Sharp and Hampshire spring to mind.
    Root will eventually be a shoe-in, but perhaps not yet.
    If I was cheating, I'd pick Tendulkar, but I think he only played one season for them. And our white rose brigade are probably embarrassed enough about having even one overseas player in the side, but there is no argument against Lehmann playing.
    An all-rounder would be nice at number 6, but I'm struggling to think of one who was good enough.

And obviously there are lots of 3rd seamers available if conditions suited - Old, Hoggard and Sidebottom are probably at the front of that queue.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 26-06-2015 at 02:10 AM.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    OK, but not with much conviction.

1. Wood (not convinced, but he did play for England occasionally)
    2. Atherton
    3. Crawley
    4. Lloyd
    5. Washbrook (All I know is he came out of retirement to play in the 1956 Ashes. But I don't know how much he actually played post-WW2)
    6. Engineer(WK)
    7. Flintoff
    8. Chapple or Lever
    9. Statham
    10. Anderson
    11. Keedy

Hopefully others will have views on that. I'm really not any sort of expert on Lancashire over the years, despite spending much of my formative years watching their one-day side on the Beeb in the early 1970s.
    I'd be surprised if there aren't some glaring omissions in my line-up.
    I'd probably have FowIer opening and find somewhere For Fairbrother in the middle order. Ken Higgs a possibility to partner with Statham. Tattersall and Greenhaugh would be in consideration for the spinners role. Having High instead of Engineer and bringing in Wasim as overseas also an option

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    I'd probably have FowIer opening and find somewhere For Fairbrother in the middle order. Ken Higgs a possibility to partner with Statham. Tattersall and Greenhaugh would be in consideration for the spinners role. Having High instead of Engineer and bringing in Wasim as overseas also an option
    I've just read up on Washbrook on cricinfo. His best years were immediately after WW2, so he definitely qualifies. Also, he was an opener, sharing some monumental partnerships with Hutton. Reading that, he has to open in Lancashire's team, with either Atherton or Fowler, depending on your preference.
    That also opens up a place in the middle order for Fairbrother.

I did wonder about Wasim, but I don't know how long he played for you and I'm not keen to include guys who only played a season or two. That being said, it's not my county, so who cares what I think, really.
    Good call with Higgs, but Statham and Anderson are beyond argument, so the former is fighting for a single place with Chapple, Lever and maybe Wasim. The locals can call that one. Suffice to say that a pace attack of Statham, Anderson, Wasim and Flintoff would probably be the strongest we'd see on this thread.

And obviously I have no idea whatsoever about Keedy vs. Tattersall vs. Greenhaugh. Another one for the locals to decide.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 26-06-2015 at 05:24 AM.

International Coach
    Wasim Akram was at Lancashire for 10 years. Colin Croft for 5 and Michael Holding for 1. That's the pace attack sorted. Frank Hayes instead of Crawley in the batting.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    I've just read up on Washbrook on cricinfo. His best years were immediately after WW2, so he definitely qualifies. Also, he was an opener, sharing some monumental partnerships with Hutton. Reading that, he has to open in Lancashire's team, with either Atherton or Fowler, depending on your preference.
    That also opens up a place in the middle order for Fairbrother.

I did wonder about Wasim, but I don't know how long he played for you and I'm not keen to include guys who only played a season or two. That being said, it's not my county, so who cares what I think, really.
    Good call with Higgs, but Statham and Anderson are beyond argument, so the former is fighting for a single place with Chapple, Lever and maybe Wasim. The locals can call that one. Suffice to say that a pace attack of Statham, Anderson, Wasim and Flintoff would probably be the strongest we'd see on this thread.

And obviously I have no idea whatsoever about Keedy vs. Tattersall vs. Greenhaugh. Another one for the locals to decide.
    Wasim was always a source of disappointment to me although he had a decent enough record for Lancs - always thought he should have bowled quicker and scored more runs

I'd say Tatt was a better spinner than Greenhough or Keeds, but if there was an eating contest at the tea interval it would have to be Simmo

For the openers I'd go for Athers and the version of Bob Barber that played for Warwickshire in the mid 60s and scored that superb 185 against Australia in 65/66 - decent attacking leggie as well

International Coach
    An all time Lancashire XI usually leads to someone mentioning Ian Chappell and Fred telling how he was accosted by him in the gents toilet.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    An all time Lancashire XI usually leads to someone mentioning Ian Chappell and Fred telling how he was accosted by him in the gents toilet.
    I know the story well. finishes with some quip about Jon Snow.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information