• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not running off the last ball in the 1st innings of an ODI is selfish as ****

I hear the sentiment but you're talking about the livelihood of people's careers here in the wider picture (if we're talking batsmen).

Selectors don't watch every moment of every game, in any level of cricket - nor do they go to the Kim Littlejohn/John Buchanan school of spreadsheet selection (look it up if you have to, NZ lost years to this rubbish) If you're averaging 10 runs less because you tried to tickle one more run on the board, that's not helping you.

And it's human nature. Going along the same lines, a recent NZ coach tried to banish the sentiment around milestones - ie 50s and 100s. Good in theory but it completely flies in the face of inbuilt psychology and also as per the run out stuff, the sort of achievement that bends selectors. It was quickly laughed off.
I am not disagreeing with you at all but I think people place too much sway on the average of someone, and less sway on runs per innings in ODI cricket. Risking a dismissal to maximise runs scored within 50 overs at the harm of the average is a great team player.

50 or 59 out does more for the team and less for the average than as against 30* not out. But we are entering the era where people look to the SR more than just the average. Same with economy rates of bowlers. Even the Joe Public fan does more so these days.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I once played in a six a side tournament nobody cared if they got out so running off the last ball was ubiquitous.
At one point a. Batsman who for arguments sake we will call Salim Jaffer (because that is who it was), wanted to run when it was a spinner bowling and the ball went straight into the keepers gloves.
The scene turned into a farce with women giggling and little kids being gleefull.
The striking batsman stayed in his crease because he knew if he left he would be out.

Salim jockeyed three quarters of the way down the pitch daring the keeper to throw it.
The keeper didn't want a bar of it but Salim kept jockeying closer and closer.
Eventually when Salim was ridiculously close the keeper through it to the non strikers end to run Salim out.
Inevitably the throw was poor and there were overthrows. So the tactic paid off.
But it was a farce and I am not about to fart about trying playground tactics when I play club cricket.
And if you do support salim's tactic at what point do you give up running. You could keep the game going for another 10 minutes if you were skilled enough at jockeying like Salim. Just keep on challenging the fielding team even though they are standing beside the stumps with the ball until they successfully run you out. It would turn into circus. And the day I played in that six a side tournament it did

cnerd123

likes this
I used to run last ball all the time in tape ball cricket ftr. Usually worked cuz the keepers are usually ****, and would never stand right up to the stumps. So you had those few seconds to steal a run.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I once played in a six a side tournament nobody cared if they got out so running off the last ball was ubiquitous.
At one point a. Batsman who for arguments sake we will call Salim Jaffer (because that is who it was), wanted to run when it was a spinner bowling and the ball went straight into the keepers gloves.
The scene turned into a farce with women giggling and little kids being gleefull.
The striking batsman stayed in his crease because he knew if he left he would be out.

Salim jockeyed three quarters of the way down the pitch daring the keeper to throw it.
The keeper didn't want a bar of it but Salim kept jockeying closer and closer.
Eventually when Salim was ridiculously close the keeper through it to the non strikers end to run Salim out.
Inevitably the throw was poor and there were overthrows. So the tactic paid off.
But it was a farce and I am not about to fart about trying playground tactics when I play club cricket.
And if you do support salim's tactic at what point do you give up running. You could keep the game going for another 10 minutes if you were skilled enough at jockeying like Salim. Just keep on challenging the fielding team even though they are standing beside the stumps with the ball until they successfully run you out. It would turn into circus. And the day I played in that six a side tournament it did
loko will approve of this baseball tactic.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Forget ODIs, how about attempting to run a second on the last ball of a test match to win the whole ****ing match?

I'm looking at you Ravi Ashwin, vs. WI 2011.

Debris

International 12th Man
There are psychological aspects to cricket. Is the remote chance of an extra run worth the confidence boost you give the opposition when you are dismissed?

cnerd123

likes this
There are psychological aspects to cricket. Is the remote chance of an extra run worth the confidence boost you give the opposition when you are dismissed?
Nah not gonna be a big boost to them if they know you're just trying to steal the last run out of habit. If anything the batting side stands to gain by putting the fielding side under pressure and causing an error.

Still don't think anyone will do it because the hit to batting averages for a few players will mess up our evaluations of them.

Debris

International 12th Man
Nah not gonna be a big boost to them if they know you're just trying to steal the last run out of habit. If anything the batting side stands to gain by putting the fielding side under pressure and causing an error.

Still don't think anyone will do it because the hit to batting averages for a few players will mess up our evaluations of them.
I have seen a few sides celebrate fairly exuberantly after running someone out on the last ball of the first innings.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with the opening point. I started a similar thread a weeks back on why declaration in first innings happens in tests when people can just hit a six or get out every ball till all wickets are lost. The reason provided there was also the same. Psychological aspects.

cnerd123

likes this
I have seen a few sides celebrate fairly exuberantly after running someone out on the last ball of the first innings.
That's because it was a genuine wicket, and not one that comes about as a ritual that occurs every game.

It's kind of like a slog being caught on the boundary off the last ball, except even less exciting than that.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
It's even more annoying when a team is cruising to a victory and need 2 runs to win (with several balls and wickets to spare), they just take a damn single instead of trying to go for 2. Just try and take two runs dammit, best case the fielders will miss the throw and you win

OverratedSanity

It's good to see that Cricketweb isn't afraid to discuss the real issues that are threatening the future of the game.
I do admit this is far less earth shaking than the "Why don't fifties remain fifties?" thread but sometimes the smaller things need attention as well.

TheJediBrah

I've always thought this was obvious. Of Course it is always best for the team to go for it, but of course people care about their averages too much to always do it.

How far do you have to get through the second run for the first one to count?

I think it's when the batsmen cross. So if it's a case where you might not get halfway down the pitch, you're actually risking losing runs.
lol wut