• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not running off the last ball in the 1st innings of an ODI is selfish as ****

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Or, the batsmen have run x runs and the ball is received by the bowler or keeper who is standing just beside the stump.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Then, the team's should use their referral off the last ball hoping it's a no ball etc. When it is not going to result in any thing 99.99%, doesn't make sense. If you are the captain and ask me to run in such an instance, I will just call you pedantic and tell you to stfu.

Burner

International Regular
But what's the harm in just taking a chance?You're not answering that.

You lose your confidence. You go home and look at your espn cricinfo stats and will be devastated to see that you average 18.65. Never again will you be as good as you would have been if you didn't run.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There used to be the crazy dives on the last ball of the innings. Beside the score, there was a final ball written and there used to be a lot of excitement. Then, cricket got sophisticated. Sheesh.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So OS, do you recommend players just run and run until they're run out? Say they just scamper through a single which will go upstairs, do they run again looking for a second?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So OS, do you recommend players just run and run until they're run out? Say they just scamper through a single which will go upstairs, do they run again looking for a second?
Oh yeah, keep running until the bails are taken off. I mean why the hell not? Thread also applies to those dumb moments where batsmen quickly run a single but fail to attempt a second run in fear of getting runout. Such selfish pussies.

But that's for another day. Need to start with mad singles atleast. Baby steps.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If you can't hit the last ball for six you're **** anyway and prob should retire

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
OS to have a dilemma next time a batsman is on stiprike for the last ball of the innings when 99*

Tom Halsey

International Coach
How far do you have to get through the second run for the first one to count?

I think it's when the batsmen cross. So if it's a case where you might not get halfway down the pitch, you're actually risking losing runs.
Huh?

Unless I'm misinterpreting your point (very possible), I'm 99.9% sure that you can't lose a run by running again. Once a run has been completed that's it, whether you're run out attempting another run or not.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I've often wondered about this.

Similar is when a team is 1-0 down in a 2 test series lets say, and after being put in to bat in the final innings of the second test with a daunting, but not necessarily unreachable total, try and bat out the match for a draw. Should just ****ing go for it imo, the worst that can happen is that you lose the series, but that'll happen anyway even if you manage to get the draw. Might have an effect on rankings and so on, but meh, I've never really given too much of a **** about those, even when England were briefly on top of the damn things.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh yeah, keep running until the bails are taken off. I mean why the hell not? Thread also applies to those dumb moments where batsmen quickly run a single but fail to attempt a second run in fear of getting runout. Such selfish pussies.

But that's for another day. Need to start with mad singles atleast. Baby steps.
I hear the sentiment but you're talking about the livelihood of people's careers here in the wider picture (if we're talking batsmen).

Selectors don't watch every moment of every game, in any level of cricket - nor do they go to the Kim Littlejohn/John Buchanan school of spreadsheet selection (look it up if you have to, NZ lost years to this rubbish) If you're averaging 10 runs less because you tried to tickle one more run on the board, that's not helping you.

And it's human nature. Going along the same lines, a recent NZ coach tried to banish the sentiment around milestones - ie 50s and 100s. Good in theory but it completely flies in the face of inbuilt psychology and also as per the run out stuff, the sort of achievement that bends selectors. It was quickly laughed off.

How far do you have to get through the second run for the first one to count?

I think it's when the batsmen cross. So if it's a case where you might not get halfway down the pitch, you're actually risking losing runs.
Nope. Second run is irrelevant to the first run. First run is complete when both batsman have made it to the crease. Once they've tapped down and before they've turned around for the second, that first run is complete.

Law 18: Scoring runs. Runs are scored when the two batsmen run to each other's end of the pitch. Several runs can be scored from one ball.

Last edited: