• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team has the best tailenders?

Which team has the best tailenders?

• Bangladesh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • India

• New Zealand

• South Africa

• Sri Lanka

• West Indies

• Zimbabwe

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel Australia has had a stranglehold on this claim since I started watching cricket. Warne's 86 with the 'can't bowl can't throw' dude was so awesome to watch as a kid and it wasn't even bailing us out!

Also he was a nightwatchmen at the time but a certified number 10 scored a damn double century!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel Australia has had a stranglehold on this claim since I started watching cricket. Warne's 86 with the 'can't bowl can't throw' dude was so awesome to watch as a kid and it wasn't even bailing us out!

Also he was a nightwatchmen at the time but a certified number 10 scored a damn double century!
I think England had a better tail during the rise to #1

peaceful

Cricket Spectator
Well, you should mention of test or vise versa.ODI format , every other team except most Asian team are most third class batting combination., Tail.in ODI.
Pak had best during mid 70's in test during their visit to WESTINDIES.

Pak had sarfaraz nawaz , intikhab alam, wasim bari, always among runs. India too had strong tail in test cricket during mid 60's.

Last edited:

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
Australia's last recognised batsman is Shane Watson so it actually considerably improves once it gets into the tail.

paddymadlad

Cricket Spectator
I don't reckon they're good enough. Have you been following cricket of late? Broad has been disastrous since the Ashes. Southee just gives it a whack. So, do the others. None of them can stick around for a while if needed.
But Johnson, Harris, Starc, Pattinson, Lyon and Hazlewood. So, can the Saffers and the NZ tail. I think every other country's tail can be quite easily blown away.

Daemon

I think he was joking.

Whenever India play Ashwin and Bhuvi they have a decent tail. It's pretty interesting that nearly all of the spinners that have turned out for India in the last few years are relatively competent batsmen. Jadeja, Ashwin, Mishra, Chawla, K. Sharma and Harbhajan are all pretty handy. Ojha's the notable exception.

91Jmay

International Coach
Can Hazelwood bat? His FC record suggests he is decent, so Lyon is their only proper tailender.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
And Lyon is a long way off being the worst #11 ever. A long way.

Wonder what odds you could get on Lyon making a test hundred?

Gob

International Coach
Think its engurland tbh quite simply because they've got a batsman batting at 8.

Zinzan

Think its engurland tbh quite simply because they've got a batsman batting at 8.
Nah, 8 is not a tail-ender in my books, that's reserved for 9,10 & Jack for mine.

On the OP, Australia by the length of the Cook Strait.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Nah, 8 is not a tail-ender in my books, that's reserved for 9,10 & Jack for mine.

On the OP, Australia by the length of the Cook Strait.
Legitimately feel that apart from Lyon, all of Australia's tail could be good enough #8s.

Johnson, Starc, Harris and Hazelwood are all pretty solid batsmen who can not only hang around, but score very handy runs. Early call, but it's probably feasible to think that Hazelwood could transform himself into a bit of a bowling all rounder. He's very young, and if his body is right his batting will get better and better because all the fundamentals are there. Hazelwood (injuries allowing) is gonna be one hell of a cricketer.