• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second best West Indies batsmen from the modern age? (Consider all 3 formats)

2nd best after Lara?

• Richie Richardson

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Carl Hooper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jimmy Adams

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Chris Gayle

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Marlon Samuels

• Darren Bravo

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For the sake of this argument the modern age is around the 1990 mark, so Viv misses out but Richie makes the cut. Fair enough I think. Anyway we all know Lara is number 1 but who slots in at number 2? Like I said in the title, consider all 3 international formats when voting:D

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What's the weighting? Is it Tests for half and limited overs combined for half (so 25% ODIs and 25% T20Is), or a third for each format?

If it's the former then definitely Chanderpaul IMO, but if it's the latter then I'd probably have to say Gayle.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Chanderpaul as a test batsman, no doubt.

Across three formats you'd probably say Gayle I guess.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If you give full weighting to Richie Richardson's entire career, I'd put him on par with Chanderpaul as a test batsman.

mr_mister

What's the weighting? Is it Tests for half and limited overs combined for half (so 25% ODIs and 25% T20Is), or a third for each format?

If it's the former then definitely Chanderpaul IMO, but if it's the latter then I'd probably have to say Gayle.
yeah that sounds good to me

HeathDavisSpeed

I refuse to let whimsy be removed from this debate by mathematical assignment.

As such, I reckon Carl Hooper would have been a T20 master and will vote for him.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Surely if weightings apply, then T20s would be lower than ODIs as well. So something like 60/25/15 for mine in which case Chanders might > Gayle slightly.