• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some cricket fans are never happy

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
When you get exciting cricket as we did in the first four matches, people start saying it is becoming too in favour of batsmen, then when we get a more even contest between bat and ball as we saw in this match, people clamour for more of the same as the earlier games. I think this series has been brilliant and it is good the bat dominates in limited overs cricket, however, all we ask is that there are no artificial measures (small boundaries, big bats, field restrictions, etc) to balance the game in favour of batsmen. All in all, this series has been brilliant and one less exciting match out of five is very good going. You can't expect there to be exciting games every game. And nor do we want that. What, in my opinion at least, makes sports great is that there are duller passages or matches which make us appreciate the exciting passages or matches much more. But obviously you want a lot more exciting games than not. Just look at the sport of basketball. One reason I could never get into it is because it's too exciting for my liking. It's non-stop action and I find that, ironically, boring.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was nice to see ball on top for a bit today. Need an even balance really, a couple of roads and a couple of bowler friendly pitches in each 5 match series would be ideal.

I shudder to think what gimmicks the idiots at the ICC will come up with soon to try and make the game more bowler friendly.

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
It turned out to be a great match in the end. I guess sometimes you have to allow both innings to complete before making judgement.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
While I didn't watch the game, generally lower scoring one dayers are very good to watch because of the contest between bat and ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When you get exciting cricket as we did in the first four matches, people start saying it is becoming too in favour of batsmen, then when we get a more even contest between bat and ball as we saw in this match, people clamour for more of the same as the earlier games.
I think you'll find this is basically a product of not everyone having the same tastes. After the first four games people who like to see more of a balance were getting bored, and after the fifth one an entirely different set of people were annoyed by the slower pitch and poor batting. I don't think I've seen anyone decide to complain about both these things.

It's true that cricket fans are never uniformly happy.. but it's not because they all suck on dem lemonz, it's because they're a diverse bunch rather than an amorphous blob with identical preferences. I think that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think you'll find this is basically a product of not everyone having the same tastes. After the first four games people who like to see more of a balance were getting bored, and after the fifth one an entirely different set of people were annoyed by the slower pitch and poor batting. I don't think I've seen anyone decide to complain about both these things.

It's true that cricket fans are never uniformly happy.. but it's not because they all suck on dem demonz, it's because they're a diverse bunch rather than an amorphous blob with identical preferences. I think that's a good thing.
lemons I presume. Otherwise it sounds like some horror movie.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
The teams are nice to each other on the field. There is no sledging and great high spirits. The cricket was very cavalier and like a carnival. It is not important who won, the people who watched were entertained and I hope there can be more series's like it in the future.

The teams are nice to each other on the field. There is no sledging and great high spirits. The cricket was very cavalier and like a carnival. It is not important who won, the people who watched were entertained and I hope there can be more series's like it in the future.
Absolutely. And for maintaining such lovely smiles after bowling bouncer wides, the seam attack can be rewarded with a nice vegetarian diet. Might calm them down a bit from bowling too aggressively. Too much meat in their diets.

Trent can have steak in NZ despite his batting at Lords in both innings. But for the others on tour living communally, its lentils and granola. After the matches the two teams can sit around a camp fire and sing folk songs.

The new team bus, well a VW Combi of course. They can pick up hitch hikers and go to music festivals.

Before this post gets misconstrued, I am not advocating Australian cricket shenanigans. People can play hard without being abusive. But the players should remember that they are there to win. Not to win friends. Winning fans will happen by winning. By playing aggressive entertaining cricket, winning games and fans can both happen.

The Windies did not win friends in the 1970s/80's. They won respect. Sri Lanka likewise in the 1990's.

This New Zealand team should be looking for results first and foremost, and not being the likeable guy that everyone likes and finds jolly and entertaining but is no real threat to bagging the hot girl at a party and ruining someone else's evening with success. Eyes on the prize.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This New Zealand team should be looking for results first and foremost, and not being the likeable guy that everyone likes and finds jolly and entertaining but is no real threat to bagging the hot girl at a party and ruining someone else's evening with success. Eyes on the prize.
Have you ever bagged the hot girl at the party? genuine question.