• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your nation's 24 best ODI players throughout history

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Yes, it's another ATG ****fight. I am working on the next version of the cricket simulator, and am in the process of adding ATG ODI teams. What I need are lists of the 24 greatest ODI players for each nation throughout history.

Feel free to compile a list and to argue fruitlessly about your selections. If you're having trouble, go 8 batsmen, 8 all-rounders (inc. wicketkeepers) and 8 bowlers. Fwiw, here's my BCs one:

Batsmen: Wright, Jones, Crowe, Turner, Williamson, Taylor, Fleming, Guptill
All-rounders: Cairns, Harris, Hadlee, Anderson, Astle, McCullum, Ronchi*, Parore
Bowlers: Vettori, Bond, Mills, Pringle, Southee, Boult, Morrison, Larsen

* reckon CaptainGrumpy is correct; he is better than Smith

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
England:

Batsmen: Pietersen, Morgan, Trescothick, Lamb, Hick, Trott, Knight, Root, Hick, Strauss, Fairbrother
All-rounders: Flintoff, Botham, Collingwood, Buttler, Stewart,
Bowlers: Anderson, Gough, Broad, Swann, Willis, Tredwell, Finn, Old

Man. That was hard, we've not had many genuinely good ODi players. Probably missed some good older players, but that'll do.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. MS Dhoni
3. Kapil Dev
4. Yuvraj Singh
5. Virat Kohli
6. Zaheer Khan
7. Sourav Ganguly
8. Javagal Srinath
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Anil Kumble
11. Virender Sehwag
12. Rahul Dravid
13. Mohammad Azharuddin
14. Ravichandran Ashwin
15. Suresh Raina
16. Navjot Sidhu
17. Irfan Pathan
18. Bishan Bedi
19. Kris Srikkanth
20. Mohinder Amarnath
21. Mohammad Shami
22. Ajay Jadeja
23. Mohammad Kaif
24. Manoj Prabhakar

Venkatesh Prasad, Ajit Agarkar (Shami is already better, right?) and Robin Singh (Wasn't Prabhakar a better allrounder?) are unlucky to miss out. Gavaskar was a **** ODI player, and so was Shastri especially with the bat.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Bangladesh

Batsmen: Tamim Iqbal, Mohammad Ashraful, Mahmudullah, Nasir Hossain, Akram Khan, Athar Ali Khan, Mehrab Hossain, Sabbir Rahman, Soumya Sarkar
Bowlers: Abdur Razzak, Mashrafe Mortaza, Rubel Hossain, Nazmul Hossain, Hasibul Hossain, Taskin Ahmed, Shafiul Islam, Tapash Baisya, Syed Rasel
All Rounders: Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mohammad Rafique, Alok Kapali, Khaled Mahmud, Khaled Mashud

Last edited:
Yes, it's another ATG ****fight. I am working on the next version of the cricket simulator, and am in the process of adding ATG ODI teams. What I need are lists of the 24 greatest ODI players for each nation throughout history.

Feel free to compile a list and to argue fruitlessly about your selections. If you're having trouble, go 8 batsmen, 8 all-rounders (inc. wicketkeepers) and 8 bowlers. Fwiw, here's my BCs one:

Batsmen: Wright, Jones, Crowe, Turner, Williamson, Taylor, Fleming, Guptill
All-rounders: Cairns, Harris, Hadlee, Anderson, Astle, McCullum, Smith, Parore
Bowlers: Vettori, Bond, Mills, Pringle, Southee, Boult, Morrison, Allott
Interesting thread Kiwivictor. Good work. Any reason why Ian Smith is ahead of Luke Ronchi on your list? I just cannot understand that at all. He scores more runs, at a faster clip, has a 99 and a 170, taken more stumpings, a much higher catch per match ratio (Smith is 81c/98m and Ronchi is 72c/53m), and is 16 runs behind Smithy in 45 less matches. Even if you discount his 4 matches for Australia, he seems well ahead of Smithy.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
since nobody's done Australi I'll do in mine. Keep in mind i was born in '91 and cbf looking up too much **** from prior to that, I only know about the world Cups and really their averages

Batting: Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh, Ponting, G Chappell, Jones, S Smith, Bevan and Hayden

Bowling: Warne, McGrath, Lillee, Fleming, MacGill, Gillespie, Bracken and McDermott

All rounders: Watson, Symonds, Harvey, Gilchrist, Healy, O'Donnell, Hogg and Johnson

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
since nobody's done Australi I'll do in mine. Keep in mind i was born in '91 and cbf looking up too much **** from prior to that, I only know about the world Cups and really their averages

Batting: Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh, Ponting, G Chappell, Jones, S Smith, Bevan and Hayden

Bowling: Warne, McGrath, Lillee, Fleming, MacGill, Gillespie, Bracken and McDermott

All rounders: Watson, Symonds, Harvey, Gilchrist, Healy, O'Donnell, Hogg and Johnson
Brett Lee is the big name omission. MacGill didn't play enough. The rest I could live with, but I'll go:

M.Waugh, A.Gilchrist R.Ponting D.Jones M.Bevan A.Symonds S.Watson G.Chappell M.Hayden S.Waugh S.Smith M.Hussey D.Martyn A.Border
M.Johnson S.Warne D.Lillee G.McGrath B.Lee B.Hogg S.O'Donnell N.Bracken M.Starc C.McDermott

mr_mister

I've always thought Binga was overrated
and Macgill didn't play enough but he certainly deserved to

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Zimbabwe
H.Streak A.Flower B.Taylor N.Johnson G.Flower T.Taibu S.Williams D.Houghton P.Strang H.Olonga S.Ervine C.Ervine E.Brandes A.Campbell K.Curran P.Utseya E.Chigumbura R.Price G.Whittall H.Masakadza M.Goodwin A.Blignaut G.Brent D.Fletcher

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
M.Waugh, Ponting, Jones, Hayden, S.Waugh, G.Chappell, Bevan, Hussey, Martyn, Lehmann

Symonds, Watson, Gilchrist, Healy

McGrath, Lee, Lillee, Bracken, Warne, Fleming, Hogg, Johnson, McDermott, Starc

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Zimbabwe
H.Streak A.Flower B.Taylor N.Johnson G.Flower T.Taibu S.Williams D.Houghton P.Strang H.Olonga S.Ervine C.Ervine E.Brandes A.Campbell K.Curran P.Utseya E.Chigumbura R.Price G.Whittall H.Masakadza M.Goodwin A.Blignaut G.Brent D.Fletcher
Special thanks for this - the Zimbos were the one team I was more worried about.

TNT

Banned
I've always thought Binga was overrated
and Macgill didn't play enough but he certainly deserved to
Lee over rated, 380 wickets @ 23

The amazing part was 176 of them were the first three batsmen, 37 of them for ducks.

Lee is under rated and one of the all time great ODI fast bowlers.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka

1.Sanath Jayasuriya (96 Man of the tournament plus a plenty of records both with bat and ball)
2.Muttiah Muralitharan (Best ODI wicket taker)
3.Aravinda De Silva (96 WC Man of the Final)
4.Chaminda Vaas
5.Kumar Sangakkara
6.Mahela Jayawardena
7.TM Dilshan
8.Lasith Malinga
9.Arjuna Ranathunge
10.Angelo Mathews
11.Romesh Kaluwitharana
12.Nuwan Kulasekara
13.Dilhara Fernando
14.Chamara Silva
15.Russel Arnold
16.Roshan Mahanama
17.Kumar Dharmasena
18.Upul Chandhana
19.Marvan Atapattu
20.Pramodaya Wickremasinghe
21.Hashan Thillakaratne
22 Lahiru Thirimanna
23 Asanka Gurusinha
24.Dinesh Chandimal

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England:

Batsmen: Pietersen, Morgan, Trescothick, Lamb, Hick, Trott, Knight, Root, Hick, Strauss, Fairbrother
All-rounders: Flintoff, Botham, Collingwood, Buttler, Stewart,
Bowlers: Anderson, Gough, Broad, Swann, Willis, Tredwell, Finn, Old

Man. That was hard, we've not had many genuinely good ODi players. Probably missed some good older players, but that'll do.
Gower played some terrific one-day knocks, even though he wasn't enamored with the format.
Gooch was very good as well.
I'd certainly have one of those instead of Strauss.

Even allowing for our paucity of spinners, I can't have Tredwell in the squad. Emburey would be better.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah man we've really sucked in ODIs

Freddie our best ever ODI player and beyond him there's only a handful you look at and go man he was good

Pietersen is an ODI myth for most of his career. Morgan patchy. Anderson turbulent.

Tres, Knight, Colly, Gough the only ones that jump out for sure to me (though I'm probably being unfair on some)

Man we suck

Pothas

Yeah Buttler is already an automatic pick for our best ODI side, Root can't be far away either.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sri Lanka

1.Sanath Jayasuriya (96 Man of the tournament plus a plenty of records both with bat and ball)
2.Muttiah Muralitharan (Best ODI wicket taker)
3.Aravinda De Silva (96 WC Man of the Final)
4.Chaminda Vaas
5.Kumar Sangakkara
6.Mahela Jayawardena
7.TM Dilshan
8.Lasith Malinga
9.Arjuna Ranathunge
10.Angelo Mathews
11.Romesh Kaluwitharana
12.Nuwan Kulasekara
13.Dilhara Fernando
14.Chamara Silva
15.Russel Arnold
16.Roshan Mahanama
17.Kumar Dharmasena
18.Upul Chandhana
19.Marvan Atapattu
20.Pramodaya Wickremasinghe
21.Hashan Thillakaratne
22 Lahiru Thirimanna
23 Asanka Gurusinha
24.Dinesh Chandimal
Good list. I would change:

Out
Wickremasinghe
Chamara Silva
Tillakaratne

In
Ajantha Mendis
Upul Tharanga
Nuwan Zoysa or Maharoof (maybe both if you take out Thirimanne).

Last edited: