• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your nation's 24 best ODI players throughout history

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Sorry to dig this thread up again, but does anyone want to have a crack at a Pakistani ATG ODI squad of 24? It's the only one we still need to do.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quick crack at Pakistan. Possibly missed someone obvious.

In no particular order. You can choose one of the 9 batsmen to drop.

Batsmen

Inzamam-ul-Haq
Saeed Anwar
Javed Miandad
Mohammad Yousuf
Zaheer Abbas
Saleem Malik
Umar Akmal
Ijaz Ahmed/Misbah-ul-Haq

Allrounders

Wasim Akram
Imran Khan
Shahid Afridi
Abdul Razzak
Shoaib Malik
Mohammad Hafeez
Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
Moin Khan (wk)

Bowlers
Waqar Younis
Saqlain Mushtaq
Shoaib Akhtar
Saeed Ajmal
Aaqib Javed
Abdul Qadir
Wahab Riaz
Mohammad Amir

kingkallis

International Coach
INDIA

Batsmen: Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, Saurav Ganguly, Mohammad Azharuddin, Yuvraj Singh, Virender Sehwag, Suresh Raina, Rahul Dravid, Navjot singh Siddhu, Mohammad Kaif
All-rounders: Kapil Dev, Ajay Jadeja, Mohinder Amarnath, Irfan Pathan, Robin Singh
Wicket-keeper: MS Dhoni
Bowlers: Zaheer Khan, Anil Kumble, Javagal Srinath, Mohammad Shami, Venkatesh Prasad, Ravi Ashwin, Harbhajan Singh, Ajit Agarkar

South Africa

Batsmen: Hashim Amla, Herschelle Gibbs, Gary Kirsten, Jonty Rhodes, Graeme Smith, Peter Kirsten, David Miller, Daryll Cullinan
All-rounders: Jacques Kallis, Lance Klusener, Shaun Pollock, Hansie Cronje, Andrew Hall, JP Duminy
Wicket-keeper: AB de Villiers, Q de Kock,
Bowlers: Allan Donald, Makhaya Ntini, Morne Morkel, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir, Fanie de Villiers, Craig Matthews, Pat Symcox

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa

Batsmen: Hashim Amla, Herschelle Gibbs, Gary Kirsten, Jonty Rhodes, Graeme Smith, JP Duminy, Peter Kirsten, David Miller, Daryll Cullinan
All-rounders: Jacques Kallis, Lance Klusener, Shaun Pollock, Hansie Cronje, Brian McMillan
Wicket-keeper: AB de Villiers, Q de Kock,
Bowlers: Allan Donald, Makhaya Ntini, Morne Morkel, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir, Fanie de Villiers, Craig Matthews, Pat Symcox
Good squad, although I always felt Brian McMillan was an underrated test cricketer, but overrated ODI one. I'd tend to choose the likes of Adrian Kuiper, Andrew Hall or even Justin Kemp over McMillan as ODI all-rounders.

And Duminy should really be listed as an all-rounder at ODI level. His right-arm floaters are more than handy.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Good squad, although I always felt Brian McMillan was an underrated test cricketer, but overrated ODI one. I'd tend to choose the likes of Adrian Kuiper, Andrew Hall or even Justin Kemp over McMillan as ODI all-rounders.

And Duminy should really be listed as an all-rounder at ODI level. His right-arm floaters are more than handy.
I agree about Hall and Kemp and would replace McMillan with Hall.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
So what's the best looking squad then? Im guessing Australia would be the obvious but I really love the look of that Saffer squad. If I had to take out an XI :

Graeme Smith
Hashim Amla
Jacques Kallis
AB De Villiers
Jonty Rhodes
Hansie Cronje (c)
Lance Klusener
Mark Boucher (wk)
Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

Perhaps you can replace Boucher with AB keeping wickets and add someone like Gibbs, if you really want to. I love Boucher there, adds another great outfielder in AB to the field. Still plenty of quality on the bench and I'd pay good money to watch that side.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
so basically SA's 99 WC team
With the addition of Smith, Amla, AB and Steyn. Leaving out Gibbs was a bit difficult, top ODI player, but Smith and Amla have to open. It will be a nightmare to stop this team from chasing any total you can set. Smith and Amla will provide flying starts with usually a strong opening partnership if not better, Kallis and AB control the longer patch of the innings and that insane tail comes in to finish the job.