• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your nation's 24 best ODI players throughout history

ImpatientLime

International Regular
1- trescothick
2- knight
3- gooch
4- root
5- morgan
6- pietersen
7- collingwood
8- lamb
9- hick
10- fairbrother
11- buttler
12- flintoff
13- botham
14- trott
15- stewart
16- gough
17- swann
18- mullally
19- anderson
20- finn
21- broad
22- ealham
23- willis
24- tredwell

so many of those are a much of a muchness.

feel mullally an ealham were undervalued.

our only exceptional players have been trescothick, flintoff, morgan, swann and gough. so many of those guys under delivered in odis or simply weren't up there with the best.

expect root and buttler to join the standout list.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
South Africa

AB de Villiers
Shaun Pollock
Allan Donald
Jacques Kallis
Lance Klusener
Hashim Amla
Jonty Rhodes
Herschelle Gibbs

Gary Kirsten
Graeme Smith
Hanse Cronje
JP Duminy
Mark Boucher
Makhaya Ntini
Morne Morkel
Dale Steyn

F du Plessis
Q de Kock
David Miller
Boeta Dippenaar
Fanie de Villiers
Neil McKenzie
Daryl Cullinan
Peter Kirsten

bagapath

International Captain
India

Tendulkar
Dhoni
Ganguly
Kapil
Kohli
Sehwag
Yuvaraj
Dravid

Rohit
Ravinder Jadeja
Dhawan
Shastri
Agarkar
Srinath
Zaheer
Kumble

Raina
Irfan
Gambhir
Sidhu
Srikkanth
Shami
Binny
Amarnath

Yeah man we've really sucked in ODIs

Freddie our best ever ODI player and beyond him there's only a handful you look at and go man he was good

Pietersen is an ODI myth for most of his career. Morgan patchy. Anderson turbulent.

Tres, Knight, Colly, Gough the only ones that jump out for sure to me (though I'm probably being unfair on some)

Man we suck

Chris Broad was a gun for his era.

But England selectors and all that.

Surprised Robin Smith has not had a mention at all.

Last edited:

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Batsmen: Hayden, Jones, Ponting, Clarke, G. Chappell, M. Waugh, Hussey, Bevan, Martyn, Smith
All-Rounders: Gilchrist, Symonds, Watson, Haddin
Bowlers: McGrath, Warne, Lillee, Lee, Johnson, Starc, McDermott, Fleming, Hogg, Rackemann

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Afghanistan
1 Hamid Hasan 2 Samiullah Shenwari 3 Mohammad Nabi 4 Shapoor Zadran 5 Dalwat Zadran 6 Nawroj Mangal 7 Mohammad Shahzad 8 Mirwais Ashraf 9 Ashgar Stanikzai 10 Noor Ali Zadran 11 Amir Hamza 12 Khaliq Dad 13 Javed Ahmadi 14 Usman Ghani 15 Karim Sadiq 16 Najibullah Zadran 17 Nasir Jamal 18 Shafiqullah 19 Isatullah Dawlatzai 20 Raees Ahmadzai 21 Hashmatullah Shaidi 22 Rahmat Shah 23 Afzar Zazai 24 Shabir Noori

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Just to save you some hassle, I wasn't going to add an ATG team for Afghanistan, Ireland, Scotland or the UAE. Go nuts if you want to do it anyway though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. MS Dhoni
3. Kapil Dev
4. Yuvraj Singh
5. Virat Kohli
6. Zaheer Khan
7. Sourav Ganguly
8. Javagal Srinath
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Anil Kumble
11. Virender Sehwag
12. Rahul Dravid
13. Mohammad Azharuddin
14. Ravichandran Ashwin
15. Suresh Raina
16. Navjot Sidhu
17. Irfan Pathan
18. Bishan Bedi
19. Kris Srikkanth
20. Mohinder Amarnath
21. Mohammad Shami
22. Ajay Jadeja
23. Mohammad Kaif
24. Manoj Prabhakar

Venkatesh Prasad, Ajit Agarkar (Shami is already better, right?) and Robin Singh (Wasn't Prabhakar a better allrounder?) are unlucky to miss out. Gavaskar was a **** ODI player, and so was Shastri especially with the bat.
Oops forgot Gambhir - he must be somewhere between 10 and 20 - definitely ahead of Srikkanth and Sidhu

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Bat: Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag, Virat Kohli, Mohd Azharuddin, Gautham Gambhir, Ajay Jadeja, Kris Srikanth, Sunil Gavaskar, Navjot Sidhu.

Keepers: MS Dhoni, Rahul Dravid, Nayan Mongia.

ARs: Kapil Dev, Yuvraj Singh, Irfan Pathan, Manoj Prabhakar.

Bowlers: Javagal Srinath, Zaheer Khan, Venkatesh Prasad, Anil Kumble, Ajit Agarkar, Harbhajan Singh, Ravichandran Ashwin.

Not rated in any order.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, it's another ATG ****fight. I am working on the next version of the cricket simulator, and am in the process of adding ATG ODI teams. What I need are lists of the 24 greatest ODI players for each nation throughout history.

Feel free to compile a list and to argue fruitlessly about your selections. If you're having trouble, go 8 batsmen, 8 all-rounders (inc. wicketkeepers) and 8 bowlers. Fwiw, here's my BCs one:

Batsmen: Wright, Jones, Crowe, Turner, Williamson, Taylor, Fleming, Guptill
All-rounders: Cairns, Harris, Hadlee, Anderson, Astle, McCullum, Ronchi*, Parore
Bowlers: Vettori, Bond, Mills, Pringle, Southee, Boult, Morrison, Larsen

* reckon CaptainGrumpy is correct; he is better than Smith
Good effort coming up with this but I disagree with many of the selections.

Need to have Ewen Chatfield in there for bowling - certainty.
Reliance ICC Player Rankings

Roger Twose (got up to no3 in odi batting behind Michael Bevan at one stage) for batting - NZ's best ever lefthand ODI bat.
http://www.relianceiccrankings.com/playerdisplay/odi/batting/?id=2119&graph=rating

Scott Styris for batting or as an allrounder and also Geoff Allot for bowling. Jeremy Coney would also be worth a shout (averaging 30 at 6 back then was like averaging 40 now) and a useful 5th bowler. Not sure about Smith's non-selection either - Ronchi is a bit if a stopper in comparison. We've got so many allrounders we could have our keeper at 9.

I wouldn't pick Wright, Fleming, Southee or Morrison in the 24, and certainly not Anderson (yet).

Edit - Jacob Oram is also unlucky to miss out. He was a better bowler than a couple of the bowlers listed and all the allrounders except Sir Richard.

Last edited:
Good effort coming up with this but I disagree with many of the selections.

Need to have Ewen Chatfield in there for bowling - certainty.

Roger Twose (got up to no3 in odi batting behind Michael Bevan at one stage) for batting - NZ's best ever lefthand ODI bat.

Scott Styris for batting or as an allrounder and also Geoff Allot for bowling. Jeremy Coney would also be worth a shout (averaging 30 at 6 back then was like averaging 40 now) and a useful 5th bowler. Not sure about Smith's non-selection either - Ronchi is a bit if a stopper in comparison. We've got so many allrounders we could have our keeper at 9.

I wouldn't pick Wright, Fleming, Southee or Morrison in the 24, and certainly not Anderson (yet).

Edit - Jacob Oram is also unlucky to miss out. He was a better bowler than a couple of the bowlers listed and all the allrounders except Sir Richard.
Agreed, except for Smith. And I would keep Anderson in the squad of 24. His batting has been immense, and a key factor in NZ making its first WC final. He gives a side great balance, and his bowling while expensive, is good enough when it is considered he is a death bowler under tough fielding rules. Its not like he isn't getting wickets.

But Chatfield, Jacob Oram, Twose and Styris all have to be there. Coney would be unlucky to miss out.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
It's one thing to say certain players "have to be there" but there is only space for 24 guys. The question, then, is who gets dropped from the squad of 24.

Probably Chris Harris, Adam Parore, Danny Morrison and Stephen Fleming have the weakest claims of the 24 I listed.

Last edited: