• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Senior Team Coach

Who do you support for the job?

• Total voters

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm following the developments around this topic very closely since the last few months. The twists and turns are interesting.

Officially, the developments are as below:

1. Following the failures of Fletcher during the last few tours outside the sub-continent, Shastri was appointed as Team Director till the World Cup. He was given more power than the coach. The idea was that once Fletcher's contract expires after the World Cup, a new coach would be named. India reached the semifinal of the World Cup.

2. There was a big break in International cricket for India after the World Cup, due to IPL. But BCCI couldn't decide on a new coach in this long period! Just before the Bangadesh tour it was declared that Shastri would continue as team director for the tour of Bangladesh and there would be no head coach for this tour.

3. A 3-member BCCI advisory committee is formed with VVS Laxman, Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly as its members.

4. Rahul Dravid is named the coach of India A and India U-19 teams.

5. Sourav Ganguly openly says in a Bengali Television channel that being the coach of Indian cricket team is his dream job. In several interviews, he says that the emphasis should now be to perform well outside the subcontinent. On 14th June, Ganguly says that Shastri's fate will be decided in the next BCCI meeting Ravi Shastri's fate to be decided in next meeting: Sourav Ganguly | Zee News

6. Shastri, when asked on this subject in a press conference, answers rather angrily saying India doesn't need a head coach because there are separate batting coach, bowling coach, fielding coach and team director. In a separate interview, when asked on the subject of India's performances outside the subcontinent, he gets angry again and says that he will answer this question after 18 months.

7. India is threashed by Bangladesh in the first ODI.

And below are the rumors that are floating around:

1. The reason the new coach couldn't be decided during the IPL is that there were 2 or more high-profile candidates.

2. Dravid was initially interested to be the coach. But BCCI approached him to be part of the advisory committee - they initially planed a 4-man advisory committee with the 'Fab Four'. Dravid declined that offer mainly because he didn't want to work with Ganguly hinting that there might be clash of egos within the committee. Subsequently, the advisory committee influenced BCCI to hurriedly appoint Dravid as India A and U-19 coach.

3. There was a separate rumor that Ravi Shastri has already been appointed as coach for 1 year for 9 crore (90 million) rupees. This wasn't confirmed from any official sources. And if it's believed that Ganguly isn't utterly BS'ing in the fact number 5 above then this is unlikely to be true.

4. Shastri has warned BCCI that if he becomes the coach, he doesn't want the advisory committee to interfere in his job.

So, it is mainly Ganguly versus Shastri now.

Here are where the allegiances lie:

1. Virat Kohli - He has high regards for both. But during the past couple of months Shastri has been able to slightly influence him. So, he's tilted slightly in favor of Shastri at the moment.

2. BCCI Advisory Committee - This basically means Tendulkar and Laxman for this matter. They will support Ganguly.

3. BCCI Chief - Jagmohan Dalmiya has always shared a great relationship with Ganguly, except one misunderstanding between the 2 at one point - which was years ago. So, he will back Ganguly.

4. Dhoni - Although his importance has slightly reduced in the post-Srinivasan era and especially after losing to Bangladesh, he is still the captain in shorter versions. So, his opinion will matter but there is a chance that he may be pressurised from the powerful BCCI (a milder version of 'vote for this guy or lose your job'). It is not known who he likes more between the 2.

So, this is what it is. What do you guys think? Although I am not sure who is a better option between the 2 in the long-term, I am excited thinking that the Kohli-Ganguly partnership can be a swag-fest, just pure box-office stuff.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I will be surprised if Ganguly ends up as coach. I hope he doesn't either. What is Ganguly's coaching experience? He is too divisive a figure as well. Have him play the consultation job guiding Indian cricket, getting structures and key aspects in place. I really like the idea behind the advisory committee. I hope they can define roles for the committee.

For the coach's job, two people are main candidates. From an earlier CI piece:

While Moody is understood to have been recommended by VVS Laxman, his colleague at Sunrisers Hyderabad, Vettori has been recommended by Test captain Kohli.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Thought appointing ganguly in advisory role meant he's essentially out of the coaching picture. An advisor can't put his own name forward right? Or am I missing something?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
How is Brett Lee significant here?
He's not. But why does he suddenly back Ganguly out of the blue, given noone has officially declared Ganguly is a contender? Maybe he's heard the same rumors, or maybe he's closer to the details from some internal sources.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have seen a lot of people from Bengal go crazy with the idea of Ganguly becoming coach. The Bengali media has been aggressive with it too. I don't understand this frenzy. Not getting it either.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I have seen a lot of people from Bengal go crazy with the idea of Ganguly becoming coach. The Bengali media has been aggressive with it too. I don't understand this frenzy. Not getting it either.
Haha Bengali media always gets aggressive whenever there's a news around Ganguly. He's the most popular person in WB.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
GAnguly as coach is poison for Indian cricket.. He is way too rigid in his own ranking of players and their abilities and he does not like an alternate view... Kohli and him will be another Ganguly-Chappell fiasco and I just do not see Ganguly doing anything but bring his old faves back to the side and riddle it with more problems. It is no co-incidence that the guys Ganguly backed so much have often shown that they are prone to overrate themselves, just like The Prince of Calcutta. :)

Make no mistake, he is one of our greatest ever captains and a wonderfully passionate and committed man. But he as coach is simply too bad as he just likes being the most powerful man in the team way too much.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just make Kohli captain-coach. FFS make him head of BCCI too. **** the rest.

Kohli, wag

Shri

Mr. Glass
But he as coach is simply too bad as he just likes being the most powerful man in the team way too much.
Reasoning behind this? Or just more of the usual bull****?

Ganguly is not an establishment guy and would pick players on merit and he has a good eye for talent and a proven record of making them work as a team. The rest of the post is just words that lack meaning as usual. Ciao.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
sure... Merit like asking Yuvraj Singh to open in tests and banishing a perfectly good Aakash Chopra who was just starting to grow into the role... Banishing Murali Kartik when it was apparent at times that he was a better spinner than Harbhajan Singh in certain series.

He is not a guy who comes with regional or other ****ty political biases, but he is biased towards people he thinks are good, and biased against people he thinks are not good. That will not be a problem, except that he is someone who does not change his thinking even when results show otherwise.

AS to the rest of the personal crap you keep piling on for every post of mine, you are the troll. Every post of yours is just a bunch of words that mean nothing to the topic at hand and more at spitting vitriol towards others u don't find to your taste. Take your crap elsewhere.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dinda had a poor domestic season. Was dropped from a recent domestic tournament for Bengal. If he keeps it up, may not be able to keep his place in the Bengal side for Ranji.