• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Big 3 killing cricket stone dead

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Also, regarding the BCCI suing the WICB for leaving an ODI series mid-way - whose fault is that? What the WICB is extremely unprofessional. They broke their contractual commitments. The BCCI had to answer to their sponsors. Why should they not sue the WICB? It's not the BCCI's problem that the West Indian cricket is run like a circus. And so what if they were able to get Sri Lanka as a replacement? Why should that excuse WICB for their mistakes? While I don't think the BCCI will push for all the money they have sued for, they have made it clear - you cant **** with Indian cricket.

Camo999

State 12th Man
Just within the full member teams, I must admit the huge inequalities that exist do not sit easily with me:

Of these West Indies, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe etc have had problems just paying their senior squad. It has resulted in ridiculous situations like the BCCI potentially losing tens of millions because the West Indies literally do not have the funds to pay their players a few hundred grand. Presumably West Indies were not entitled to any revenue share in this bi-lateral series that was generating the $50m+.

When you consider the Windies were the biggest draw cards in world cricket for a couple of decades just as the game was becoming more professional and CA and the ECB in particular (or their predecessors) profited hugely from their presence, it's shameful to see how little support they receive given the huge amounts of money in the game today.

Similarly when Brendan Taylor, one of Zimbabwe's few world class players is forced to play county cricket over internationals just so he can make a living, that in turn means Zimbabwe will be weakened further, will continue to struggle for high profile fixtures against the big 3 and so on. Add the likes of Taylor, Ballance, Ervine and Jarvis into their squad they'd be a different proposition.

I would like to see the ICC become more dynamic by taking on responsibility for player payments for the senior squads of all full member teams. Sure the big 3 can pay their players much more on top of these payments but at a minimum, there should be a decent financial incentive for playing international cricket. Ultimately the financial inequalities that have arisen are now hurting international cricket and will continue to do so until there are less viable on field opponents for the big 3 to play against.

England.

Players with county deals good enough to make the IPL auction have to choose whether to miss the start of the English season or play IPL. Off the top of my head, it's impacted on Pietersen, Shah, Bopara, Wright, ten Doeschate, Hales, Morgan, Lumb, Collingwood, Broad, Samit etc. all had to make that decision (while the likes of Flintoff, Azhar Mahmood and Mascerenhas weren't playing FC during their stints and hence weren't effected nearly as much).

Lots of tension stemming from it too:

KP could ditch IPL for county deal | cricket.com.au
Eoin Morgan sets sights on IPL | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Full IPL window for Eoin Morgan, Ravi Bopara | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
English cricket should bemoan Alex Hales IPL jaunt | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Well ten Doeschate is hardly English but the point is valid. Furthermore, its valid for all the top international cricketers who play IPL who are not available anymore or as long for County Cricket diminishing the quality of County Cricket. But that is England's own problem and working out quite nicely for New Zealand players.

Last edited:
Cricket has been killed stone dead so often it's a wonder that we're still talking about fixtures at all. Surely they've all been cancelled by now? After all cricket is dead.
Its not dead. Brendon McCullum just single handedly rewrote the rules of the game and saved it. Don't you read the British press?

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Its not dead. Brendon McCullum just single handedly rewrote the rules of the game and saved it. Don't you read the British press?
Nah, ODI cricket become a run fest bore or something. Scores of 400 sux. It's more in the toilet than ever.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Cool G I Joe, so November looks ideal for the IPL then. Not this year as its already been staged, but starting in 2016.
Oh, yes. October-November would be ideal for IPL. Playing the IPL in very hot summer months sucks. This year, there is talk of an IPL 2 in Dubai in October. I reckon they will try to shift the IPL eventually. It would suck to play in such summer heat. We can't even sit in the audiences without sweating.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I agree with the sentiment of the opening poster, without getting into semantics. Cricket needs a better way to move forward then being so greedy all the time. Please do read Harsher Bhogle by the one and only Gideon Haigh if you haven't already.

Because, among other reasons, these are cricket boards. They aren’t corporations. They aren’t governments. They are custodians of a game, a game based on the steady accumulation of historic endowments, strengthened by the deep love of its publics everywhere, and dependent on some rough-and-ready idea of equality - an idea to which even Bhogle’s beloved Indian Premier League, through its salary cap, pays at least lip service.

Sport is about rivalry, not destruction; the point of a sporting contest is to win on the field, not to subjugate or even annihilate your opponent off it, because by that in the long term you also lose. By indulging in the rhetoric he uses here, Bhogle is inches from saying that sport is simply a form of global capitalism - a form at global capitalism’s depredatory and punitive worst. And, errrr, that’s it.....

Pratters, you make an excellent point.

But let me play Devil's advocate if I may.

We know from World Series Cricket and Super League (Rugby League - Australia and United Kingdom) that if a rich media mogul wants to, he can buy the players by paying them outrageously increased salaries and set up a new competition. Now that revolution had already happened in Cricket under World Series Cricket in the late 1970's. It could not happen again, could it?

Except the WSC revolution only primarily occurred in Australia and the West Indies. The West Indies Board sold out and the Australian board lost their A side effectively. After two years, it had to compromise and reconicile with the media mogul to give him what he wanted. Cricket on his channel with advertisements.

Is such a competition feasible for talent? Yes - you continue to poach from the existing and continuing player pool at the level below. Better yet, a media mogul is not having to pay for that unprofitable development and feeder competitions beneath international level. Altneratively, it can buy the minnow and domestic boards, and take effective control of the whole infrastructure. Allan Border in 1993 was contract for 90,000 AUD. Now Cricket Australia pays approximately 10 of its 20 contracted cricketers in excess of a million AUD. But there are talks of super competitions being considered to poach these players.

The money in India and India's love for T20 cricket is the fertile ground for a new revolution. It does not need to be the BCCI. Just look at the ICL. So the BCCI does need to look after its players well, and ensure the success of the IPL, because any media mogul could intervene to establish a new tournament.

On this forum I notice a lot of complaints about JAMODI, T20 as slap and giggle and loathing of Joe Public. But that is just not a reality that the players and coaches are professional athletes who work for money and that cricket is an entertainment business. Sure, all actors want to make oscar award winning films, but blockbusters pay better so they want to do a lot of those as well. Faced with the stark choice if an oscar or two more, or living in Beverley Hills with repeated roles in Iron Man or the Avengers, if mutually exclusive, we know which role they will invariably select. They'll certainly leave New Zealand or Australia for Hollywood, so why not Bollywood?

I think the BCCI is worried about a competitor establishing a rebel competition(s). It wants to display strength.

I think the BCCI is not necessarily always going about it the right way.

The BCCI is sitting there with massive revenue streams from the media it sells it cricket too and from the ICC tournaments. It has a monopoly control over the Indian team and cricket in India. Except, where there is huge money, a monopoly is only as good as the barriers to entry. Media moguls can get over those barriers to entry.

They've done it before in Cricket and Rugby League. They made Rugby professional. It will happen it other sporting codes. It could well happen again.

Now we can tell the BCCI that they are a custodian of the game and to always act in total strict accordance of that responsibility, whatever that may subjectively entail. I agree that the BCCI is now a custodian of the game and has responsibility to other nations. But the BCCI does not want a media mogul to just take the game away from them. It only has to buy the England team, and the Australian team, and then the Indian team. It could replace England with South Africa, why not, the English selectors often do.

To a media mogul, international cricket can be viewed as a club championship. There are traditionally strong clubs like Australia, the equivalent of Manchester United, some clubs which are hot and cold like England, who I guess are Liverpool or Tottenham, then there are clubs like West Indies, who used to be strong but now fight off relegation every year, like Newcastle or Leeds. There is the new strength on the block, South Africa the Manchester City. Zimbabwe has been relegated to the first division but can play FA cup matches. I am not an EPL fan so I could well be inaccurate with my use of club analogies but I think the point is being made. In America, the clubs are called sporting franchieses, which are repeatedly relocated to new cities. To a media mogul it is about profit and having sport on his channels that people will pay to watch and advertisers will pay to broadcast on. Ticket sales just make for better looking television. Australia may have packed stadiums but the real money for the CA is in broadcasting rights, not selling the tickets.

India's rising middle class and love of pyjama cricket, and the fears for the establishment that that poses, will continue to drive change. Not always for the best or what we deem to be in the nature of 'custodians of the game' - because a media mogul will not view themselves that way at all. The media mogul will just see supply and demand to obtain profits. As a New Zealand cricket fan, I was potentially better off between or before the IPL being established and definitely before 'the big three' took over the ICC. But I do resent the India's economic growth and increased middle class numbers neither. It is a fact of life that India will continue to grow economically. There will be change throughout the world, in many facets including cricket, as India and China become larger economies.

In the USA, college football was the ball and end all despite being amateur (or shamatuer) and professional football was a joke. Well professional football become big business over time. So is cricket with India's cricket mad middle class population increasing.

A media mogul may play Africa vs Antipodes vs Europe vs Hindi vs Muslim as the teams. Or India and the Rest of Asia. Keep them as nations or allocate them solely to Asian cities as clubs to better suit India's TV audience. International cricket does not have to be based on nations. It just needs to be packaged into formats that Indians will watch, knowing its the best of the best. Like the NBA is with its players from all over the globe.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Revenue sharing needs to be better, and said revenue sharing has to come with a clause favoring development of domestic cricket.

Otherwise, SL and NZ get to play more test cricket nowadays. Pakistan would have got more too, but for their domestic issues. South Africa is probably the only side that should be playing more tests than it does, but that's been true forever.

Am reserving judgment for a few years, and am watching the development of the game in countries like Afghanistan, which is also an important criterion.

Revenue sharing needs to be better, and said revenue sharing has to come with a clause favoring development of domestic cricket.

Otherwise, SL and NZ get to play more test cricket nowadays. Pakistan would have got more too, but for their domestic issues. South Africa is probably the only side that should be playing more tests than it does, but that's been true forever.

Am reserving judgment for a few years, and am watching the development of the game in countries like Afghanistan, which is also an important criterion.
Revenue sharing of what? The ICC revenue?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sure, cricket will go on in some form. WI will cease playing tests, their players will become fixtures of the global T20 circus. Tests will be played over 4 days and be mainly day/night fixtures.....except for icon series's between icon nations, which will be 5 tests over 5 days during the day. Most nations will play each other over 1 or 2 match test series's, and ODIs will stagger on with a proliferation of meaningless series's stinking up the calendar. The mooted Test Championship will never be discussed again, by order of the Big 3.
Eventually 'international cricket' will die.
Yeah I agree, the jig is up. International cricket lasted ok for 140 years but as soon as someone started playing pop music at grounds it was all over.

Yeah I agree, the jig is up. International cricket lasted ok for 140 years but as soon as someone started playing pop music at grounds it was all over.
Oh there will be cricket. Just not necessarily as we used to know it. Imagine telling someone 50 years ago that there would be twenty over each side tournaments played at night under lights for players earning a million dollars for 2 two months work in India.

They would have looked at you like you were on drugs.

Spark

Global Moderator
Jarrod Kimber ‏@ajarrodkimber Jun 17
"I wish they'd keep Tests as it was in the golden era, played on **** pitches, openly racist, no women allowed and run by toffs".

Let's have Davey Warner, probably the most astute cricketer of our generation, chime in.

Rebel league could affect Test cricket - David Warner | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Pretty much agrees and confirms everything I said. He just adds that the minnows (and possibly their boards) will sell out cheaply and that the Big 3 will have its players bought from under the boards and then lose them when the contracts expire. I suspect they will just breach contract for that money.

Its a powder keg ready to explode. Will the fuse ever be lit?

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't agree with this notion at all. Test cricket existed and will exist forever kind of notion. 15 years ago, we could not imagine a test match at Eden Gardens which was not packed. Today, we hardly get crowds for test matches at Eden. This even happened while Tendulkar was playing in his last years. T20 cricket brings in a lot of money over a short period of time. It has affected the dynamics of the game. When the forests start disappearing more because of industrialisation, people could have said that forests have always been cut. T20 is like that in a way. It's changed the game far more than ODI cricket ever did.

I wouldn't say it has done it for the bad necessarily though. It has brought in more audiences. There is so much money in the game coming in because of it. After a few years of the standards being a bit poorer, I am loving how good the cricket has been the last 2 years or so. So just as ODI cricket helped improve cricket standards, T20 cricket is doing the same.

Changes are important. Imagine if we kept playing underarm or on uncovered pitches. That would be quite unrealistic. Every thing changes. Can we preserve what's important to us, though. That's the relevant aspect.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pretty much agrees and confirms everything I said. He just adds that the minnows (and possibly their boards) will sell out cheaply and that the Big 3 will have its players bought from under the boards and then lose them when the contracts expire. I suspect they will just breach contract for that money.

Money has just exploded in cricket. While in various leagues, players strike if they are not happy with the pays, here if the money doesn't increase substantially, things are bound to get interesting. Players from Pakistan and quite a few from Sri Lanka haven't got any sort of decent pay for ages.

Niall

International Coach

I dislike Warner intensely and will take any chance I can to say something negative about him, but credit where its due, nothing wrong with his comments here.

Maybe someone more polished would have trotted out some banal soundbites about "test cricket been the pinnacle and no amount of money will change that" but if this league is serious,, cricket is going to change drastically.

Niall

International Coach
Money has just exploded in cricket. While in various leagues, players strike if they are not happy with the pays, here if the money doesn't increase substantially, things are bound to get interesting. Players from Pakistan and quite a few from Sri Lanka haven't got any sort of decent pay for ages.
I dislike Modi as much as anyone, but on a podcast recently, he did say a lot of Indian players while loaded really aren't paid what they are worth when you consider the insane money they generate. The BCCI if pushed would dig deep to keep their key players happy as I suppose would Australia and England, but the rest would be easy pickings.

Heck even in the big three, they are t20 players who may not have realistic ambitions of playing international cricket who may be at the end of their career who could be tempted by a big payday.