• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Big 3 killing cricket stone dead

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I certainly agree that the BCCI are not dumb when it comes to optimising revenues, to an extraordinary degree. Although CapnGrumpy says India sueing WI is all about pulling WI into line, I reckon it's another revenue grap by a board blinded by greed.
Also, if our equivalent of 'festival season' is prime time for cricket in the Southern Hemisphere - the holiday atmosphere and cricket go hand in hand - then wouldn't it also follow that the same could be true for India? It could be a great time for India to stage these matches.
It would never be November because that would impinge on the home summer of fellow Big 3 club member Australia. Australia are another sacred cow.
It is definitely a great time for India to stage matches, which is why we tend to host international teams over that period. India have already sacrificed their New Year's and Pongal Tests due to clashes with the Aus/SA home season. Give up Oct-Nov as well? Not gonna happen.

Antihippy

International Debutant
I kind of agree that there have been too many Ashes as of late, but you don't cut it down. It's tradition. The longest rivalry in cricket history.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I kind of agree that there have been too many Ashes as of late, but you don't cut it down. It's tradition. The longest rivalry in cricket history.
Yeah, it's an old rivalry, it's traditional. But you would be keen on the status quo: you are an Australian.
You'd be in favour of 4 day test cricket? An Ashes series composed of 5 day/night tests?
Would you be keen on a Test Cricket Championship? i.e. Something that could ignite test cricket across all nations and make all series's of equal importance. Test cricket is in decline; in order to make it more popular the gimmicky options are being pursued over a meaningful test championship.
The way things are going, we could end up with the worst of all worlds: a gimmicky test-cricket lite & 'icon' series's continiung to be paramount over everything else.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
The IPL is a domestic tournament staged by the BCCI that does it when it seems fit. It has identified April-May as the time for it and it will likely be a permanent fixture for years to come. If other teams have matches during that period, tough. If other teams have players that choose to not play for their country and instead come to the IPL, again, tough. It is the most lucrative set-up for cricketers around the world and I think a lot of them are thankful for it for a number of reasons, money being one important part of it.

As for custodians of the game, I think if you choose to do some research, you will see how the BCCI has been supporting Afghanistan, Nepal, and the like. Don't just hate on the new rich kid on the block blindly.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
It is definitely a great time for India to stage matches, which is why we tend to host international teams over that period. India have already sacrificed their New Year's and Pongal Tests due to clashes with the Aus/SA home season. Give up Oct-Nov as well? Not gonna happen.
Yeah, but it's not giving anything up it's staging the IPL in that period. The IPL takes precedence over anything else, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Stage some home tests in April.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, but it's not giving anything up it's staging the IPL in that period. The IPL takes precedence over anything else, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Stage some home tests in April.
Obviously the IPL does not take precedence over the home international season, as evidenced by the scheduling since it's inception.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Why the big emphasis on being "rich" and being the "rich kids". Does any ordinary Indian see any benefit at all from the enormous wealth of the BCCI? The fact that the BCCI are "rich" is a by-product of India having a population in excess of 1 billion. Is the BCCI responsible for the growth in the Indian population? Did they institute some programmes that resulted in this growth?

Also, I don't buy that the BCCI generates a huge portion of the global cricketing revenues. Indian people do, Indian people living all around the globe. People who may love the game of cricket irrespective of anything the BCCI do. Indian people who want to see 'their' team matching up against 'other' teams. Therefore without 'other' teams there is no revenue for the BCCI to hoover up. A percentage of Indian people will pay money to watch other teams when India isn't playing, a percentage of these people may support other teams in preference to India. None of this has anything to do with anything the BCCI is doing, they simply take the benefit.

Obviously there is enormous support within India for their "rich" board, with their interweaving business interests. Is there ever any cringing at what the board does, or is it just "we (the BCCI) are rich, we (the BCCI) are powerful, we will do as we please". Why so much support for these individuals who seem to act like dictators intent on clinging onto power and an endless stream of money? Who are the ordinary Indians sharing in the "rich kids" riches?

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Joe dominating, as per usual.

'IPL would never be in India as it clashes with the start of a Big 3 domestic summer and they'd never let that happen'
> mfw the IPL currently clashes with the start of a Big 3 domestic summer

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Joe dominating, as per usual.

'IPL would never be in India as it clashes with the start of a Big 3 domestic summer and they'd never let that happen'
> mfw the IPL currently clashes with the start of a Big 3 domestic summer
England's. They should have switched the one-dayers with the tests, and had three tests and three ODIs.
There is surely a way to do this so test cricket is not devalued.
It's not even ideal for the IPL, to have their NZ players depart at the business end of the season.
It's the worst of both worlds.

Last edited:

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Other than the general election that comes usually every 5 years, April-May is kinda the ideal time since the kids (school age) can watch 5 straight hours of cricket (about the length of an IPL match) considering it would be vacation time.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cricket has been killed stone dead so often it's a wonder that we're still talking about fixtures at all. Surely they've all been cancelled by now? After all cricket is dead.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
England.

Players with county deals good enough to make the IPL auction have to choose whether to miss the start of the English season or play IPL. Off the top of my head, it's impacted on Pietersen, Shah, Bopara, Wright, ten Doeschate, Hales, Morgan, Lumb, Collingwood, Broad, Samit etc. all had to make that decision (while the likes of Flintoff, Azhar Mahmood and Mascerenhas weren't playing FC during their stints and hence weren't effected nearly as much).

Lots of tension stemming from it too:

KP could ditch IPL for county deal | cricket.com.au
Eoin Morgan sets sights on IPL | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Full IPL window for Eoin Morgan, Ravi Bopara | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
English cricket should bemoan Alex Hales IPL jaunt | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Cricket has been killed stone dead so often it's a wonder that we're still talking about fixtures at all. Surely they've all been cancelled by now? After all cricket is dead.
Sure, cricket will go on in some form. WI will cease playing tests, their players will become fixtures of the global T20 circus. Tests will be played over 4 days and be mainly day/night fixtures.....except for icon series's between icon nations, which will be 5 tests over 5 days during the day. Most nations will play each other over 1 or 2 match test series's, and ODIs will stagger on with a proliferation of meaningless series's stinking up the calendar. The mooted Test Championship will never be discussed again, by order of the Big 3.
Eventually 'international cricket' will die.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
England.

Players with county deals good enough to make the IPL auction have to choose whether to miss the start of the English season or play IPL. Off the top of my head, it's impacted on Pietersen, Shah, Bopara, Wright, ten Doeschate, Hales, Morgan, Lumb, Collingwood, Broad, Samit etc. all had to make that decision (while the likes of Flintoff, Azhar Mahmood and Mascerenhas weren't playing FC during their stints and hence weren't effected nearly as much).

Lots of tension stemming from it too:

KP could ditch IPL for county deal | cricket.com.au
Eoin Morgan sets sights on IPL | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Full IPL window for Eoin Morgan, Ravi Bopara | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
English cricket should bemoan Alex Hales IPL jaunt | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Cool! Over time England cricket will be riven by the same internal strife as WI!

Antihippy

International Debutant
Yeah, it's an old rivalry, it's traditional. But you would be keen on the status quo: you are an Australian.
You'd be in favour of 4 day test cricket? An Ashes series composed of 5 day/night tests?
Would you be keen on a Test Cricket Championship? i.e. Something that could ignite test cricket across all nations and make all series's of equal importance. Test cricket is in decline; in order to make it more popular the gimmicky options are being pursued over a meaningful test championship.
The way things are going, we could end up with the worst of all worlds: a gimmicky test-cricket lite & 'icon' series's continiung to be paramount over everything else.
I would be alright with day/night tests if it proves that it does not impede on the players. I am also in favour of a test championship, I just think that the logistics would be a nightmare.

Though I'm mostly in favour of making the ashes a bi-yearly event again.